• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Experience/comments with "Toy Doctor"?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
OK, if you're gonna slam a vendor, you have to give specifics...

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Is this the place on Parker? If it is, or is connected in any way, do not even think about using them. :mad:

From what I can tell there are two locations. One at 1370 S Parker Rd and the other at 8061 S Broadway (the one I would use). Not sure if they are owned by the same person or not but they are definitely affliated with one another.

So, what are the specifics behind why you wouldn't consider using them?

Chris

Hard Core 4+
If it's Toy Doctor on Parker in Aurora I'm happy to provide details based on my experience. If it's another location this doesn't apply.

I brought my 1999 Avalon with 180K miles to the Parker location a few years ago. I had a bad axle that was leaking fluid. Their estimate for repairs was written in pencil on a piece of paper from a pad, not an invoice or anything resembling one. They said in addition to the axle I needed a new power steering unit, high pressure hose and all new belts. They also "evaluated" my transmission while they had it on the lift. They determined it was failing and needed replacing. The estimate was between $3000.00 - $4000.00 for repairs. They offered 10% discount in exchange for using their license plate frame.

I went elsewhere and spent under $200.00 for everything needed and drove the car for years w/o any issues at all.

If this is inappropriate delete it. If you feel it's simply answering an inquiry leave it.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the details! It's only fair to venders that you state your case if you are going to discredit them publicly. From your side of the situation it does appear that they were looking for a "cash cow." :(

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the details! It's only fair to venders that you state your case if you are going to discredit them publicly. From your side of the situation it does appear that they were looking for a "cash cow." :(

Yeah, it was disappointing to have that experience since I was looking for a good mechanic at the time. I eventually found one and never hestitate to recommend Ramone Elder - Elder Auto at (303) 756-2886 for anyone looking for a good, honest shop in SE Denver. :thumb:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Chris,

Thanks for sharing the experience. I dislike to the nth degree places that try to take advantage of people. Although I must say in that I'm sure there is a fine line between a shop recommending some work that they believe needs to be done and not recommending said work.

In your case though it seems that you proved that the recommended repairs were in NO way needed and just don't pass the 'sniff' test. I'll have to ask my co-worker who recently had his Lexus worked on by the Broadway Toy Doctor location if they recommended any additional work. He is the sort of person that I'm sure an unscrupulous shop would see as an open wallet :( AFAIK he took it to the shop to have the muffler replaced with OEM and that is exactly what they did, no more, no less, and he is happy with their work.

Sure would be nice if I can add them to my 'trusted' list as they are very convienently located...

Maybe we could convince Christo to open up a South location? :)

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Whenever I get a "quote" not on letterhead/invoice red flags are up. When I'm told my tranny is bad and it's not even driven I walk away fast. It was too bad for them since I had 3 cars over 150,000 miles at the time. Shops that treat me well usually benefit quite well. ;)

Now I just have one vehicle over 100,000 miles and it's my FJ62 with 230,000 miles. Not real lucrative for any shop though - it doesn't need any reapirs. :D

Good luck, hope you find someone close and honest. :thumb:

The BG machine is a exchange machine. It goes inline with the tranny cooler and uses the vheicles pump to change the fluid. It does this with a closed tank with a doubble bladder in it. Old fluid pushes in forcing the new fluid out.

Sediments in a good tranny will wear components faster and make it into a bad tranny. They cause sticking in the valve body, this could cause clutch slipping.

Sediments in a bad tranny add that little bit if extra friction to keep it alive for that little bit longer, and a flush could kill it, even a drain and fill could kill it.

The argument that the (fluid exchange model) flush will kill a good tranny is not true. I do belive that a forced flush could cause pump damage due to cavitation.

I belive the BG flush is $139 at Burt but I'm not sure, you might give them a call to check it out. I don't know what kind of machine Elway/Go uses.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the well articulated description!
I really don't understand the 'conventional wisdom' on not using the BG system to change auto tranny fluid... I guess I'd change my tune if someone could point to a single failure caused by using the BG system.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Since were talking ATF....the Lexus dealer was the only shop in town that knew what Dexron VI was. All I needed was a quart for the Allison and I went to all the GM dealers in town. The lead guy in the GM shop said they could care less and if I brought my truck in for service they would use Dexron III. Oxidative and shear stability aside, I am not taking my truck in for service at that dealership.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks for the well articulated description!
I really don't understand the 'conventional wisdom' on not using the BG system to change auto tranny fluid... I guess I'd change my tune if someone could point to a single failure caused by using the BG system.

You're missing an option, Bill. The BG Exchange Machine is the good option.

The bad option is the power flush, which is performed at Jiffy Lube and many other places. It also uses a machine (which is where I was confused), but forces the fluid through the system with tsunami power.

I can just see me on the phone now: "No, I don't want a transmission fluid flush -- I want an exchange. Yes, there is a difference. What machine do you use for this? Yes, it does make a difference, and if you don't know, I will find somewhere else to take my Land Cruiser. Fine!" :rant:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Bill it sounds like everyone's right here. You've been saying flush all along, but in reference to what Fatkid describes as a BG exchange. So if the "BG Flush" is really an "exchange," then I think we can all just get along after all.. :)

edit: and Matt can type faster than me.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Okey doke. I was confused because the 'oh no don't do it!' was in response to my recommending the BG flush/exchange/clean/evacuation/replacing/partridge in a pear tree/whatever/thingie. :lmao:

Then, there were comments about leaving the stuff in there rather than disturbing it...:eek:

Or just draining a bit at a time...:confused:

Basically, clean the dang thing and put fresh blood in it! :thumb: :blah:

wesintl

RS Moderator
In my only auto tranny my flush method it to keep topping it off when it leaks out. 215k later it's still going. :D

I'm sure running it low doesn't help it but at 215 i'm not going in to seal it. It only needs to last another year or so and I have a couple of backup vehicles.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Ok...so finally got around to calling "Toy Doctor" on Broadway.

They use Castrol oil exclusively (engine, diffs, tcase).

They are ok with customers bringing in their own fluids but charge an additional $65 due to the "extra work" involved with putting the customers fluids into their pumps...So fluid cost + $65 to BYOF :(

Other "gotcha"...The AT exchange is really a drain and fill, not a full exchange. Tim's mention in a previous post of doing the "4 qt drop & swap" made me question the coupon as it states "up to 4 qts" for the AT. Full AT exhange is $175 using their brand of fluid.

Other thing I checked on was a radiator flush (not just a drain and fill) and that runs $99 using Toyota Red.

So....seems like the good deal isn't all that great of a deal, especially for a person wanting to use a different fluid type than what they use :(

I've got no reason to doubt Castrol oil is good, but I have yet to see anyone recommend it...Might be time for some late night PM duties on my part and just get it done...

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
You might try Toy Car Care out on east Arapahoe. Romer mentioned they do a tranny fluid exchange for $99. They're out past the airport.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
You might try Toy Car Care out on east Arapahoe. Romer mentioned they do a tranny fluid exchange for $99. They're out past the airport.

Centennial airport on Potomac just south of Arapahoe Rd.

Call them first and ask if they still Honor the coupon for the $99 exchange

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I've got no reason to doubt Castrol oil is good, but I have yet to see anyone recommend it...Might be time for some late night PM duties on my part and just get it done...
OK, here's one. Castrol is fine stuff. I'm a Valvoline man myself, but would not hesitate (and have not hesitated in the past) to use Castrol.

Pennz sucks. Bonneville experience behind that one.