• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Cruise Moab Trail Leader Code of Ethics

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab trail leader code of ethics
These are the standards that the Cruise Moab committee had developed for those people guiding trails at the Cruise Moab event.

-Preface- It is the role and responsibility of the TL to embody the ethical and professional standards of the Rising Sun 4x4 club and the Cruise Moab event. Since they represent the organization they are expected to present themselves and the organization in a professional manner, and to take steps to ensure all participants have a safe, enjoyable experience on trails during the event.

-Don't bust the crust- cryptobiotic soil is a key factor in the delicate ecosystem of the Moab area. It can take hundreds of years to develop and only brief seconds to damage

-Liability waiver signing and communication- the trail leader must make sure that their group has the liability waiver signed by all people attending the trail that day (including children), that all participants vehicles have had vehicle inspection approval, the necessary radio equipment for communication and the group is aware of the route, timeframe and difficulty of the trail. If anyone is using HAM to communicate, the operator must be a licensed HAM operator and follow the FCC guidelines/rules.

-Trail leader packets and contents-Trail leaders are responsible for TL packets being picked up the night before their run and returning packets, Garmin units and spill kits are returned once they have completed their runs. Leaders need to be familiar with the contents of the packet (ie. permits, insurance, accident reporting sheet, etc)

-Tracking and knowing the trail- tracking of the group on trail using Garmin GPS, managing the supplied spill kit and portable bathroom if needed, knowledge of entrance and exit points, air up and down locations, lunch and bathroom breaks, proper areas to allow others users to safely pass without incident

-Knowing your group- assessment of the capability of vehicles and drivers in the group, who, if any, is first responder trained, experienced at vehicle recovery and spotting

-On trail group management- leader and gunner are to maintain appropriate vehicle spacing, group movement speed and organization. As a volunteer representative of the Cruise Moab event, we encourage positive interactions with other users, on and off the trail, to maintain our reputation as an outstanding event and as responsible recreational OHV enthusiasts

-No one left behind- the trail leader and tail gunner are to work together to make sure participants get on and off trail safely, coordinate vehicle repairs and recovery, and coordinating with the trail boss \ recovery team if needed.

-No drugs, alcohol, firearms or fireworks-

Last edited:

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
these points are derivative from the TREAD LIGHTLY credo and from Bill Burke trail leader training. please post up any key points that are missed or that need to be update as the CM event evolves

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’d like to add that it is also the trail leaders responsibility to make sure that the trail Leader packets are picked up the night before their run and returned once they have completed their runs also this includes spill kits and Garmins! We will be needing those for other runs

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I’d like to add that it is also the trail leaders responsibility to make sure that the trail Leader packets are picked up the night before their run and returned once they have completed their runs also this includes spill kits and Garmins! We will be needing those for other runs
Good points, added

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Don’t whip out an automatic weapon on the trail.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I would add that knowing the contents of their leader packet. Ie. What the permit is and what it looks like, what our insurance COI looks like, and what an accident reporting sheet looks like etc

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I would add that knowing the contents of their leader packet. Ie. What the permit is and what it looks like, what our insurance COI looks like, and what an accident reporting sheet looks like etc
good points, added in

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I've not been a RS/CM Trailer Leader....yet, but you may consider a preface statement acknowledging the role and responsibility of the TL and since they represent the organization they are expected to present themselves and the organization in a professional manner.

Cheers.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
All looks pretty straight forward to me. They only thing I can add based on my experiences as a trail leader would be how important all the aspects of CM are for trail leaders as they are the end of the line so to speak for the participants experience. If someone registers for a trail way their head or you end up with broken trucks it all falls on the trail staff to overcome these challenges. I had a few trucks in my day show up that shouldn’t have passed tech. It sucks to be the guy who turns away a vehicle at the trailhead or has to work that much harder to nurse a broken vehicle all day.

On a side note as a trail leader a I’d want to choose my gunner if at all possible. Best those two work well as a team and are having fun together. Everyone has a different style. Complementary skill sets, etc…

Last edited:

HuKiT

Rising Sun Member
In the event you can’t make your trail it should fall on you to get a TL to fill in and communicate the change to CM staff.
Clearly establishing departure locations is also important if there is a confusing second meet up perhaps pos the gunner there to send any lost participants to the correct location. Last year there were a few trails that had similar departure times and locations. Keep the coms working to communicate with other TL’s.

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
In the event you can’t make your trail it should fall on you to get a TL to fill in and communicate the change to CM staff.
Clearly establishing departure locations is also important if there is a confusing second meet up perhaps pos the gunner there to send any lost participants to the correct location. Last year there were a few trails that had similar departure times and locations. Keep the coms working to communicate with other TL’s.
Suggestions on replacement trail leaders is always appreciated, but it would just have to be approved

If you would please let me know which trails you are referring to on the meetup location I can take a look at those. I believe there were some where the meet up location had changed and was noted in the trail meet up list but the leader had met in the old location not realizing it had changed. Maybe that’s all it was? 🤞

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
My opinion is that it would be respectful to make a suggestion as to who should take the trail leader’s position, especially if you have someone in mind. But not make the change on your own.

RossM

Rising Sun Member
Good morning team,

I know that HAM radio is not the primary communication for Cruise Moab and or Rising Sun.

Would it be ridiculous for us to add that if anyone in the group uses HAM radio for communication, that the operator of a HAM station must be a licensed HAM operator and follow the FCC guidelines/rules? The Trail Leader might, at minimum, make mention that it is violation of Federal Law to operate an Amateur Radio Station without a license and doing so can reflect poorly on Rising Sun and Cruise Moab for non-licensed operators to use HAM radio. Remember, HAM is not a "long range CB".

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Good morning team,

I know that HAM radio is not the primary communication for Cruise Moab and or Rising Sun.

Would it be ridiculous for us to add that if anyone in the group uses HAM radio for communication, that the operator of a HAM station must be a licensed HAM operator and follow the FCC guidelines/rules? The Trail Leader might, at minimum, make mention that it is violation of Federal Law to operate an Amateur Radio Station without a license and doing so can reflect poorly on Rising Sun and Cruise Moab for non-licensed operators to use HAM radio. Remember, HAM is not a "long range CB".

I think this is a great point and maybe worth mentioning at the drivers meeting. However, it’s not something as a group or trail leader that we can necessarily enforce. I prefer to help the group develop things like this in the meeting as ground rules. If you can recruit a “ringer” to bring that up in your drivers meeting it will go over better in my opinion than making it a CM rule.

In addition

While I think the trail leader code of ethics is a good thing, it should cover the fundamentals of being a good trail leader. And perhaps a few specifics about cruise Moab. I’d hate for it to scare folks away from being a trail leader because it starts to make the trail leader agree to be the fun police.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I’d hate for it to scare folks away from being a trail leader because it starts to make the trail leader agree to be the fun police.
A trail leader makes sure the group has fun safely within the rules of our sport and event. Some times, the Trail leader will make a rule depending on his/her experience on that trail. That means sometimes providing special attention to newer drivers or those you can see having trouble. We do not want to be the fun police :)

@RossM if someone has a HAM and says they will just monitor, I tend to allow that. My hope is that they see the benefit and will want to get a license so they can share in the fun. I don't think it is my or our place to force them to not use it for monitoring, but will discuss the rules of no transmitting and will call them on it if I hear them transmitting. I put those folks in the between those that have Licenses so someone can let me know if there is an issue. They should be talking on FRS though as I run both radios on trails. My Gunner always seem to be licensed so that is always helpful.

I do carry two handheld FRS radios I loan if someone is having a Comm's issue. My truck unit is a Mobile unit

RossM

Rising Sun Member
@Romer and @jps8460

I agree it should be part of the driver's meeting as ground rules. If we are HAM operators, it is our duty to help keep the rules followed at minimum by mentioning it violates FCC rules and Federal Law to operate a station without a license. I also like that you call it out if someone bends the rules Ken.

Monitoring is very different than using (transmitting) from a station willy nilly as though it were something of a toy versus a tool, hence my comment about HAM not being "a long range CB".

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
It's just my $0.02 that the FCC rules should be in the code of ethics and that the event expects them to be followed. It's more than just unlicensed hams but also following GMRS rules, foul language, giving call signs, etc. Especially as a ham you're an ambassador.

The FCC doesn't usually proactively enforce rules but usually reacts to someone's complaint. Still, the Rising Sun/Cruise Moab expectations should be clear. I do think there's a very slightly elevated chance of monitors at OHV events as higher profile for low hanging GMRS citations mostly.

I wouldn't necessarily drill down on it as part of the driver's meeting for the trail leader, though. They're guides, not cops. It's in the paperwork, remind everyone to read the rules and leave it at that. It would be like someone drinking or similar violations. Leave serious enforcement up to the committee and ultimately LEOs.

If a ham want to take up the subject that is an individual decision. Most of you know I'm a stickler about these things and even I'm not sure I'd bring it up unless someone was being a jerk about it on the trail.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I think the code of ethics could simply say. “A trail leader will not knowingly break the law or encourage participants to break the law” that would take care of a lot.

Last edited: