• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Cruise Moab Pre-Run 2023

what date works the best for the Cruise Moab pre run?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
FYI we are gonna hotel it for the weekend. Just realizing all my camping stuff either was lost in our house fire, or has been removed and cleaned and stored until the house is rebuilt and I don't have access to any of it. We will make sure to stay in contact for morning meeting points etc, maybe have a beer around a campfire one night. Assuming we will have HAM?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey all, Is this just for leader training, or do you need some people to lead? If so, I could try and make it out and let yall do some leading for me.

Are you registered for Cruise Moab this year? If not, would you like to be? We are always looking for good trail leaders. Calling @NotyourmomsWife

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Are you registered for Cruise Moab this year? If not, would you like to be? We are always looking for good trail leaders. Calling @NotyourmomsWife
Thanks Matt!!

Yes is you are wanting to help out by leading or even gunning a trail this year please let me know!!

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Anyone run a fat 200 on Metal Masher? Trying to decide if mirror gulch will be an issue.

I ran Metal Masher in 2018 on a CM pre run in my mostly stock 200 (sliders, 34s). It wasn’t a problem and would have been much easier with high clearance bumpers! I haven’t been on Metal Masher since then however, so I’m not sure if it’s worse/harder now.

53CA052F-8C49-462D-B427-DE343BB7FF62.jpeg
754A9036-6496-419D-B374-3ED26252FF08.jpeg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I ran Metal Masher in 2018 on a CM pre run in my mostly stock 200 (sliders, 34s). It wasn’t a problem and would have been much easier with high clearance bumpers! I haven’t been on Metal Masher since then however, so I’m not sure if it’s worse/harder now.
That's right! I was your passenger a bit.
Mirror Gulch is unlikely to have changed since its solid rock.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Awesome news on my big butt getting through mirror gulch without any damage. 😁

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
So, in light of the weather based cancelation of the BB training this week and the changing weather out in Moab, I'll go ahead and ask the question:

What criteria will be used to make such a call and who is responsible for making the "Go/No go" decision for this training?

Cheers and thanks!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
So, in light of the weather based cancelation of the BB training this week and the changing weather out in Moab, I'll go ahead and ask the question:
What criteria will be used to make such a call and who is responsible for making the "Go/No go" decision for this training?
Cheers and thanks!

Direct answer: I am not aware of any criteria or anyone responsible.

Preface to personal answer: My goal is to coax this Cruise Moab pre-run into being a pre-run like the glory days of pre-runs. This Pre-Run thread was set up by Dom. He made it clear early on that he was not attending. I made the choice to go to the pre-run and not Bill's class this time since my schedule is packed and the weekends were back to back. I don't think any will ever top the time 40 or so of us camped at Area BFE and ran trails at night. But prove me wrong! I messaged @jps8460 a few weeks back and said "I kinda think we may be the defacto "leaders" here. Lets step up our game and show the people a good time." To me that just means helping coordinate. That said, we have an incredibly awesome cadre that would have a good time without me. However, when we act as a group, magic happens.

Personal Answer: I was not privy to the decision making process there and will not second guess it. I don't stop unless they close the highway. If you all drop out, Anna, Mikey, and I will have a nice three day weekend in the Moab area. Anna might even prefer that but I want to see you all fine people. I LOVE driving in the crappiest of conditions. I am comfortable on snow and ice. I have good tires, experience, always have a fuel tank at 1/2+ and for a trip like Moab, 2-4 gal on top. Plust the usual winter overnight gear. Rarely have I encountered bad conditions past Eagle, though it has happened. Coming back from KOH in February we had crappy visibility from Silt to Denver that 50,000 lumens of LEDs could not even solve.

Epilogue: Vail reported 7" this morning. I70 is open. Parts are wet, parts are sunny. I have no idea what condition it was last night. I was elsewhere. No one should risk their safety. If I'd been in the BB class this weekend I'd likely be having a lunch burger in GJ right now and trying to get BB on the trail to show off local secrets. :cool:

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’ll be in Moab regardless of weather unless i70 is closed.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I'll be there regardless of weather... have driven across the rockies many times when the main highways are closed...

Takes longer, but makes for better stories!

To each his own - I'll be there unless I have a personal emergency.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Congrats Ken! Well, and Rachel. 😁

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I'm pretty bummed about the Bill Burke training getting canceled/rescheduled as I spent 4 days prepping the truck and gear for the class (I have 8 GMRS radios charged and ready to hand out for example haha) and was quite literally walking out the door to leave for the BB training + a Kokopelli run + the CM pre run all back to back, but I respect whatever decisions were made to change it based off intel at the time. I've been the person responsible for making the hard choice to cancel things in the past and realize it's not easy. All that said, I will be in Moab next week regardless of road and weather conditions, so whoever makes it out for the prerun I look forward to seeing you!

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
We'll be there Thursday unless they close off I-70 and we're on the wrong side of it. I don't think we could be more prepared to handle inclement weather. (There's a high probability that someone also thought that in the Donner Party...)
That said, see you in the desert.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Alferd Packer. Don't Californicate CO. LOL

Group PM started. Tell me if you need to be added or removed.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Room for one more taco? We would be heading out Friday afternoon to meet up later that evening.....

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
Be at camp sometime Thursday...I'm driving a 40 and towing a trailer...