• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Cruise Moab 2024 Trail Leaders and Gunners!!!

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Happy Hump Day everyone. :)

Hey I am helping Lisa out with some Trail Boss duties (assistant TO the trail boss) and wanted to post up a few trails we still need leaders on:

Thursday - Copper Ridge, Deadman Springs/Point, Gold Bar Rim
Friday - Gemini Bridges, Moab Rim, Porcupine Rim
Saturday - Kane Creek, Porcupine Rim

If you are not 100 percent comfortable with any of these trails, but still want to maybe lead them, come to the Pre-Run March15-17 and we can make sure we run the trail! Well, maybe not Porcupine Rim until the snow melts...

Shoot an email to trailboss@cruisemoab.com if you are up for leading any of these trails! We will have an updated list at the meeting next week for leaders and gunners.

Thanks all!

Tim

Deadman Point looks to be closed with the updated BLM maps on OnX. Hopefully I'm wrong because I love that spot!

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Deadman Point looks to be closed with the updated BLM maps on OnX. Hopefully I'm wrong because I love that spot!
I’ve confirmed with Jackson @jps8460 all our trails with the exception of mashed potatoes are still open.

Last edited:

levi

Rising Sun Member
Happy Hump Day everyone. :)

Hey I am helping Lisa out with some Trail Boss duties (assistant TO the trail boss) and wanted to post up a few trails we still need leaders on:

Thursday - Copper Ridge, Deadman Springs/Point, Gold Bar Rim
Friday - Gemini Bridges, Moab Rim, Porcupine Rim
Saturday - Kane Creek, Porcupine Rim

If you are not 100 percent comfortable with any of these trails, but still want to maybe lead them, come to the Pre-Run March15-17 and we can make sure we run the trail! Well, maybe not Porcupine Rim until the snow melts...

Shoot an email to trailboss@cruisemoab.com if you are up for leading any of these trails! We will have an updated list at the meeting next week for leaders and gunners.

Thanks all!

Tim

Not sure I’m ready to lead this year, but happy to be a gunner:
Thursday: Deadman Springs/Point
Friday: Gemini Bridges

(Will echo this in an email to trailboss@cruisemoab.com momentarily)

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I’ve confirmed with Jackson @jps8460 all our trails with the exception of mashed potatoes are still open.

I think OnX says all the threatened trails are already closed.

I definitely hope they are because I'd like to go back to Deadman Point this year, and OnX has been back and forth depending on when I look at the map. Early last month, I took a screenshot of the map because it showed Deadman Point as closed, but now it shows it as "partially closed". cc @jps8460 for viz

I think the pre run and a confirmation (in writing ideally) from the public land manager will be good to cover ourselves to ensure it truly is fully open where we intend to run for Cruise Moab. The Bronco Safari that has taken place in Moab for many years had their permit rejected due to the "high impact" of the event, and I know we as a club are united in wanting to avoid any possibility of Cruise Moab having challenges in the future getting permits.

Here is what OnX showed in January:

1709183675983.png

And as of right now, this is what is shows:

1709183793561.png

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I definitely hope they are because I'd like to go back to Deadman Point this year, and OnX has been back and forth depending on when I look at the map. Early last month, I took a screenshot of the map because it showed Deadman Point as closed, but now it shows it as "partially closed". cc @jps8460 for viz

I think the pre run and a confirmation (in writing ideally) from the public land manager will be good to cover ourselves to ensure it truly is fully open where we intend to run for Cruise Moab. The Bronco Safari that has taken place in Moab for many years had their permit rejected due to the "high impact" of the event, and I know we as a club are united in wanting to avoid any possibility of Cruise Moab having challenges in the future getting permits.

Here is what OnX showed in January:

View attachment 127043

And as of right now, this is what is shows:

View attachment 127044
Despite the closures, there are still a plethora of trails that are available to us at CM.
I guess we can't really call it Deadman's point/Deadman's Spring anymore. You can still get to the spring, but would have to stop short of the area we parked at last year and walk ~100m.

Two of the three spurs at Deadman's point have been closed. That's a bummer. The spur to the North had the best view of the Bow knot overlooking the green river. I avoided the spur to the south because it's cramped and difficult to get more than 3 trucks to turn around without gettin' all up in Crypto. Ironically, that's the only spur that remains open.

Speaking with Neil Quigley last year: There is a Cool Guy route that provides just as good of views and is a good spot for lunch. It's a little more technical that the route we ran last year Matt, but it's stock truck friendly.

1709222693676.png

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I will be in Moab several days before the pre-run, I will run up there and take a look.

Can we create a new thread on possible Moab trail closures and move these posts there? Very very important stuff and I don't want it to get lost in this thread!

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Yup but I would love a thread just about cruise moab 2024 and possible trail closures so we can track them in one place.

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, that came to mind after I mentioned it.

Your trail boss should probably overlay all the event routes on top of the BLM status to check current and proposed closures for conflict. There's still a ton more travel plans coming down in the next couple of years so this won't be the end of this.

Driving a group down a closed route isn't ideal for future permits. Plus during comment periods having documented concrete, historical examples helps with closures and lawsuits.
This is in the works but its in the category of "when i have enough time to breath" atm.... right now we have confirmed all of our trails are good to go with permitting and the BLM per Jackson. There were some parts of Deadman closed, but they are not any that we run so all good there. We did do Mashed Potatoes as part of the Pickle, so thats the only major change this year.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey guys, while we’re in the clear for our normal routine this year, this is probably the last year of trail leaders having the freedom to choose their own paths on some of these trails. As a committee, we’ll probably have to establish pretty concrete routes for our leaders to follow. Deadman point is an example of the necessity for that. While it’s open according to our blm rep, surrounding spurs are not. And unfortunately most of the spurs will not have carsonite or barriers to prevent unlawful access.

Unfortunately the future looks worse not better for motorized access in Moab until there are big changes to Grand County and BLM leadership.

-J

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey guys, while we’re in the clear for our normal routine this year, this is probably the last year of trail leaders having the freedom to choose their own paths on some of these trails. As a committee, we’ll probably have to establish pretty concrete routes for our leaders to follow. Deadman point is an example of the necessity for that. While it’s open according to our blm rep, surrounding spurs are not. And unfortunately most of the spurs will not have carsonite or barriers to prevent unlawful access.

Unfortunately the future looks worse not better for motorized access in Moab until there are big changes to Grand County and BLM leadership.

-J
thank you for that info Jackson, its so sad what is happening.

90WT

New-ish
Any chance there is a 40s only run on the schedule? or pre-1990s or something?
I remember a few years back attending my first 40s only Club run and learned an absolute ton of tricks for wheeling a short wheelbase, leaf sprung, open dif, carbureted, non-power steering, sub 100 hp, steel can. The lines choices are different in a 40 vs other rigs and overall the pace of the day is different (in a good way). There was drama related to all sorts of minor mechanical issues, which added to the day's fun. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I'm not sure how many 40s are planning to attend or if folks would want easy or hard days, etc. But if there was a 40s only day on the schedule, I would be on it. And if it needed a leader, I will volunteer. I understand if it's too late to consider one if it's not in the works.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
A 40s only run at cruise moab? I would be up for it but couldn't bring my 40 and my camper.

I like the idea, but too late this year. There are always a bunch of 40s at cm.

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
**Updating the original post with the List!

Last edited:

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Any chance there is a 40s only run on the schedule? or pre-1990s or something?
I remember a few years back attending my first 40s only Club run and learned an absolute ton of tricks for wheeling a short wheelbase, leaf sprung, open dif, carbureted, non-power steering, sub 100 hp, steel can. The lines choices are different in a 40 vs other rigs and overall the pace of the day is different (in a good way). There was drama related to all sorts of minor mechanical issues, which added to the day's fun. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I'm not sure how many 40s are planning to attend or if folks would want easy or hard days, etc. But if there was a 40s only day on the schedule, I would be on it. And if it needed a leader, I will volunteer. I understand if it's too late to consider one if it's not in the works.

A 40s run is an interesting idea. We have 14 FJ40s registered this year + 2 FJ45s.

If you wanted to do short wheelbase only, you could do FJ40s and FJ Cruisers. :devilish:

Here's the list of what types of vehicles are registered this year:

Screenshot 2024-03-06 154113.png

90WT

New-ish
@Hulk My offer to lead/gun/participate a relic run is still good if you think it could work this year. But no pressure. Something in the moderate difficulty range might also grab the garage queens and guys running 29 inch tires. Think of the photo op of a long line of 40s in Moab. It could be epic...

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
that "lifted Corolla" is actually a lifted Tercel :love: Can't wait to see it

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
@Hulk My offer to lead/gun/participate a relic run is still good if you think it could work this year. But no pressure. Something in the moderate difficulty range might also grab the garage queens and guys running 29 inch tires. Think of the photo op of a long line of 40s in Moab. It could be epic...
I love the idea...now if someone could bring my 40 with them :) or I guess if I end up in a hotel or airbnb I could bring it instead of my camper!