• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Chinaman Gulch FJ Cruiser Run

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
And thanks to Wes for leaving the rescue crew engine burritos (all were eaten) and Robbie for water and food. Plus Perry for the extra jacket which came in handy sleeping on the back seat.

Of course Green Machine for the fizzy beverage at the campfire!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member

Attachments

• IMG_5457.jpg
    IMG_5457.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 768
Last edited:

Beater

Hard Core 4+
thanks to all !

Cheers

Attachments

• P1010191.JPG
    P1010191.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 764
  • P1010204.JPG
    P1010204.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 3,371
  • P1010206.JPG
    P1010206.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 768
  • P1010212.JPG
    P1010212.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 768
  • P1010214.JPG
    P1010214.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 763

Beater

Hard Core 4+
WHAT a day.

So I leave the house around 7:00am to get to the trailhead by 9:30am. At the fort, I run into Neil who's trying to load his pig on somones trailer. I stop to say hi, and end up helping with a bent trailer hinge pin. Back on the road, I meet up with lexus ben and Hans on 285. Ben then decides to show off his horsepower and leaves me in the dust.

Get to the trail head after getting 9mpg! and fill up. Tail gun the trail and spot when needed. When through the first entry chutes with no problem, only to make a :eek: of myself on whale rock.

Then Romer moves my truck and I felt like :kipper: because I couldn't find it. After we get going with me in the front of the last group, my dog decides to go visit Uncle Ben at the end of the group, and we had to wait for his butt (skyler's) to catch up.

Then we get to the big hill and nathanial does his best dana 30 imitation and busts a rear axle. Did I mention that it's now 5pm? I head down to bridge the radio gap between the mid and rear group only to loose contact with the end group after we find out that it's a broken axle.

Head down the hill, hatfield runs for an axle in salida, and Dan and I make :campfire: and solicit food for everyone so I don't have to give up my last sammich! Dan and I cook the chimis, and hatfield shows up with the axle.

Time is now around 8:30pm!

Uncle Ben, Ige and Nathaniel come down (leaving the 3 legged 60 on the hill) to find :beer: , hot chimis, and a axle waiting on them. They go back up the hill, (oh, did I mention that it has now snowed twice?) and proceed to fix the 60.

Axle goes in at around 10:30pm, and Kevin hits :campfire: at around 11:45. I fall asleep in the tent, only to be woke up by my whimpering dog, as he is shivering like crazy, and wants in my sleeping bag. Back to the truck to get him warm and catch some more z's. Kevin and I hit buena vista around 8am to get MASSIVE breakfast burritos, and head out. I stop to air up at the truckstop and have to laugh as the sign flashes "welcome rising sun 4 wheel drive club".

So I head back 285, only to see the guy that was hauling spidey and his own rigs trailer on the side of the road. WTH?

It's 11:00am the sunday now.. Will this run EVER end?

So I pull over to see that they had a FLAT on the trailer. Help out what likttle I could, as he was almost done. Said they had left the trailer and went home in the Ram, and come back this morning.

I hit denver at 12:30pm....

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Way to go John! You were extremely helpful on the trail, and very well prepared.

In fact, everyone from our club was well prepared, willing to help and respectful. The Cruiser team
told me they were very happy with the way this event went for such a large group on a trail like this.

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
hijack - Red_Chilli - I came across this while admiring pics of your totally sweet runner. it looks like your u-bolts are loose here? maybe thats just the way they fit around the axles on runner? :dunno:

Attachments

• bil12.gif
    bil12.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 737

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
On the trailer that was hauling Spidey. Matt Farr, Chris & jennette and I saw them and pulled over. Their trailer had a flat and they had no spare. Spidey was going to go home and the other guys said they had it covered. They would either drive the 40 home and come back with a spare or wait till morning and get the tire fixed.

BTW John - I asked you before I moved your truck.

I had a great time. Still need to learn to go slower than I do at some things. There are time for momentum and times for crawling :blah:

Thanks eevryone for putting this on. Next time we will need some dynamite for that last obstacle.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Thanks to all that showed up to this event. It is fun to see so many trucks on the trail at the same time. I do know that many did get to drive a new FJ, but many did not. Hopefully we(the fj team) will see the many that did not get drive the FJ at some event soon(moab, ghost town run, easter j**p safari, rubicon). Thanks Scott for leading the event and putting up with the FJ crew on the trail. You guys rock. I did have lots of fun driving the FJ and giving others the chance to drive this brand new truck on a hard trail.
I am sorry that Grocho broke a axle, and other did some minor body damage. We all learned stuff on the trail to take away with us. For me is that the crusier community is fun, interesting and giving. I am privilaged to be part of this community. Thanks much Robbie

wesintl

RS Moderator
FJ badge photo :D

Attachments

• 26970.jpg
    26970.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 723

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
The FJ team pictures we got are great! Here are two.

It was really fun wheelin' the FJ Cruiser. I drove it up the middle line on Whale Rock. I was only in the FJ about minute before I ripped that skid plate up. On the first picture, you can see the rock that yanked through the the back two bolts of the front skid. It was hanging down on the rest of the run and would catch on a rock in reverse. The FJ actually felt like it had less clearence than my my 2000 Runner felt when it was stock. But the newer traction control and locker really made it hook up. Even with the 32" AT's.

Put a lift on that thing and it's gonna wheel like crazy.

Attachments

• ScottWhRock05skid (Medium).jpg
    ScottWhRock05skid (Medium).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 944
  • ScottWhRock03 (Small).jpg
    ScottWhRock03 (Small).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
More pictures...

Attachments

• 154-5482_IMG (Small).JPG
    154-5482_IMG (Small).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 1,140
  • 154-5480_IMG (Small).JPG
    154-5480_IMG (Small).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 778
  • 154-5469_IMG (Small).JPG
    154-5469_IMG (Small).JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,204
  • 154-5466_IMG (Small).JPG
    154-5466_IMG (Small).JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 739
  • 154-5464_IMG (Small).JPG
    154-5464_IMG (Small).JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 723

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Awesome run...my whole family had an absolute blast. Michelle ( :Princess: ) got to drive the silver FJ Cruiser for the last run of the day for about 20 minutes...pretty cool to go from passenger seat nerves up the first rock garden to driving a new rig at the end of the day.

We accomplished a few goals in testing out some of the limits of an 80 on OME and 33's, getting it properly broken in (little quarter panel lean on the double slab tree :D ), and getting the young ones excited about a day on the trail so we can start getting out more often :cheers: .

Thanks to the FJ team as well...we thought it was a real privilege to have them out with us...and of course glad to hear everybody got home safe :beer: .

Nay

Attachments

• OCG Squeeze.jpg
    OCG Squeeze.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 3,348
  • M FJ Cruiser.jpg
    M FJ Cruiser.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 744
Last edited:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Here are some more of my pics.

Attachments

• ige FJ1.JPG
    ige FJ1.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,967
  • Nathaniel1.JPG
    Nathaniel1.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 740
  • Romer.JPG
    Romer.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,066

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What a day. I was sick all day Friday and got a late start on Saturday morning. Made it to the truckstop about 10:30, gassed up, and started looking for the trail based on Yoder's cell phone directions. Finally found the turnoff in the prison area and met up with Uncle Ben at the same time. The two of us aired down and scorched through the first section of the trail, only to find we didn't have too far to go to catch up with the massive group!

We were vehicles 28 and 29. Sometime after we showed up, Daryl and Neil (Spiderlegs) O'Malley showed up in their 40s. That made 31 trucks. Then a bit later, Joe Calleja showed up with a huge contingent of his own -- 7 trucks in all, including several really nice 40s that I had never seen before. That made 38 for the day.

The group was so large and spread out along the trail that the folks at the front were visible only in legend by the time we came through the trail. I saw Steve Crase once, and never laid eyes on his truck. Same thing with Bill Morgan.

Yoder rock was lots of fun. Treeroot did a crazy line that had his front axle at an extreme angle (future cover shot for Toyota Trails, I say). Both Ige and I made it over with some excellent spotting from Root and Uncle Ben. Then SpiderLegs put on a crazy show for us, which is really what we encourage -- and of course, he's more than willing.

We saw three guys from the CTS group do the difficult extreme left side of whale rock. Joe in his bobbed truck and one of the other guys in a very similar truck made it look easy. Then Joe's son did it in a sprung-over FJ40. When he got his front tires up on the rock, we put a strap on his front bumper. Twelve guys pulled him towards the rock face as he clawed his way to the top -- kind of like a reverse "White Knuckle," for those of you who've done "Behind The Rocks" in Moab. We were all impressed that he made it up in his 40!

The hardest spot on the trail ended up being that off-camber climb with the holes at the bottom. Nathaniel snapped the long side rear axle on his 60 on this obstacle. We pulled him to the top of the hill and got him snugly off the trail and in a good position to work on the truck. He started pulling the diff apart while others continued attempting to make it up this nasty section. The group was quick to offer a winch cable or strap after Nathaniel's mishap; no one wanted two broken vehicles. I took a strap from Kevin; Ige winched; Romer needed a bit of assistance; and there were others too.

With cell phones and CBs, we managed to get in touch with Merl from Classic Cruisers down in Salida. He agreed to meet someone from the group to provide whatever parts were necessary. That person ended up being Chris Hatfield, since he was towards the front and nearly off the trail while the rest of us were cooling our jets at the top of the hill.

We still had a lot of people on the trail, and most of us weren't needed under Nathaniel's truck. We finally got the majority of the group moving again, with Hants from Colorado Springs leading us down. Yes, it's "Hants, rhymes with Pants." By the time we made it to the trailhead, where Green Machine and Markofsky were camped out waiting, it was completely dark. Some of the group immediately hit the road; others of us decided to go eat Mexican food at the Coyote Cantina. I led the group, and on the way out I hit a deer at about 40 mph! It jumped out in front of me, I slammed on the brakes, fishtailed all over the place, felt it go under the tires, clunk clunk! We pulled over; sure 'nuf, it was dead (broke neck). Hants and I dragged it off the road. The only damaged I can find is that it bent the crap out of my brand new Collector's 5-year license plate! That Cool Cruiser of Texas "Hell For Stout" bumper sure earned its name!

Coyote Cantina has Tommyknocker Nut Brown Ale, available by the pitcher, for future reference.

After dinner, we hit the road. Romer and I caught up with the Hatfields in the Pig. Just north of Fairplay, we made a small detour when we saw Spiderlegs and Daryl on the side of the road with a blown trailer tire. Considering they had three working vehicles between the two of them, we didn't stay long -- they weren't exactly stranded! Neil told us he was going to drive home in Spiderlegs (completely open with no top, windshield folded flat). It seemed crazy, but you know, he loves that truck.

I got to drive the FJ Cruiser once, and it was pretty cool. Robbie seemed very much in his element and was happy to let anyone take the wheel of his blue FJ (after signing the waiver of course). I never saw the silver FJ up in the front of the group! Robbie was the perfect choice for the FJ team; he gave me a quick primer on driving an IFS truck in the few minutes I was behind the wheel, and was really full of enthusiasm about the vehicle. He got a lot of guff from everyone about the weak looking skid plates -- I have a feeling that by the time we see him in Moab that will have been rectified.

We had two Toyota folks with us: Mary Ann from L.A. (who rode with Kipper most of the day) and Ally from Boulder (who rode with Wes, I think). Both of them had a great time and were pretty amazed at some of the crazy antics of the more built vehicle.

Good day. Lots of great people and Toyotas. Thanks to all for coming, and Scott for leading. I've been wanting to try this trail for the last several years. It's extremely scenic and a good challenge.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Romer said:
BTW John - I asked you before I moved your truck.

I know. I just didn't realize how far you went - It's that tons of vehicles on the trail thing. If I recall, When you asked, I said would you please. It was just kinda funny how far up it was!

j

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Dirt Shop

Here are the pics I have of the broken axle, and working in the "Dirt Shop".
Thanks again to Treeroot for the sandwiches, and Wes for the chimis.

Attachments

• 796024284305_0_ALB.jpg
    796024284305_0_ALB.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 710
  • 641814284305_0_ALB.jpg
    641814284305_0_ALB.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 730
  • 600224284305_0_ALB.jpg
    600224284305_0_ALB.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 733
  • 597424284305_0_ALB.jpg
    597424284305_0_ALB.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 725

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Jeremy just showed me the e-photo shots on line and they look pretty good. Hope you enjoy the photos. catch you soon. later robbie

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
O.k, here is what I got so far. Need to recharge the battery so I can download the rest. About 140 pics taken :beer: .

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 742
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 670
  • PICT0010.jpg
    PICT0010.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 688
  • PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg