• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Canyonlands

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Devils Kitchen is a wonderful place.

22.jpg
23.jpg

24.jpg

27.jpg

34.jpg

37.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

:beer::beer:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Great thread! We’ll be in Moab Sept 22-25. Planning to do FnT, top of the world, and elephant hill. Possibly others if time permits.

Based on the Utah DNR website it seems we need to get a permit for E Hill. Am I correct that we will need to wait until 24hrs prior to get the permit online?
We will be in Canyonlands 9/21-9/23. I made reservations way back in June.
I'm not sure about the time thing on the permit.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Based on the Utah DNR website it seems we need to get a permit for E Hill. Am I correct that we will need to wait until 24hrs prior to get the permit online?
Elephant Hill in in the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park and requires a permit. If you're not staying in the Park you need a day use permit to drive it.

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 7.04.10 AM.png
We will be in Canyonlands 9/21-9/23. I made reservations way back in June.
I'm not sure about the time thing on the permit.
Andy got a backcountry camping permit so he would not additionally need a day use.

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Thanks @Notyourmomslx450 and @DaveInDenver for the replies.

I should have been more specific. Yes, I am talking a day use permit. I looked at the NPS website and recreation.gov and here’s what I gathered:

Day use permits for vehicles cost $6 and are issued online (recreation.gov) starting at 8am the day before your trip.

Each vehicle needs a permit and can travel in groups of three, spacing of groups by 30 minutes.

Elephant Hill has an allotment of 24 permits per day, any remaining permits will be available at the backcountry permit office at no cost.

***In addition to the day use permit, you will need a National Parks pass for Canyon Lands. A NP day pass is $30 and can be purchased in advance. Other types of NP passes are also acceptable like annual passes or America the Beautiful passes.

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
Speaking of which, those with Elephant Hill experience, how do ya'll think a GX 460 with 33's, chopped front bumper, skids and sliders (no lift) would do on Elephant Hill?

You'll be fine. We did it with a family in a stock 100 series, running boards and all. Five passengers in that thing and it emerged completely intact.

BIL's 460 and my 470 handled it just fine as well, but we're both lifted. Picture not from EHill but that's us.

Attachments

• 20230421_121722.jpg
    20230421_121722.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51