Canon - PowerShot SX40 HS ?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Corbet,

I know you didn't go with the Canon SX40 but were the limitations you describe a big enough issue to rule it out completely? Still looking for a decent camera for a 13yo that really likes photography but I don't want to drop a ton of money. The :Princess: bought her a Poloroid from Kohls for cheap that takes crappy photos but was "cheap" :rolleyes:

The SX40 seems like a decent starter camera that offers some flexibility...I don't think the low light or burst mode limitations will affect the type of photography this is likely to be used for...

$299 SX40 Kit

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
If she gets "into" photography it might limit her quit a bit. I don't recall everything that lead me over to the FZ150 but low light and I think flash limitations as well. Both will take great pictures under normal light conditions. Its when you want to start playing with light that the Panasonic is a little better. The panasonic got a better auto focus review as well for tracking moving subject matter. Neither is a DSLR. I'm still learning to use my Panasonic, but I don't have any grips yet. Other than I've already dinged the lens on a rock:mad: There is also a lower model Panasonic but I don't recall what is missing over the one I got.

Hope that helps