• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Brahma On-Board Air

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yes, reducing the amount of brass is key to lowering cost in one of these exercises.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
yeah, didn't realize that. Is galvanized cheaper than brass? Too late now :eek:

Made a bunch of progress tonight. 4WheelParts finally got my pressure switch in, but I'll have to pick it up tomorrow.

So I got my manifold plumbed up with everything else I needed.

Rough-fit my coalescing filter support bracket, I think it'll work pretty good. Hardest part will be figuring out where and how to drill holes in my fender to bolt it up. It definitely needed something, and this bracket really stiffens up the support a lot. I'm sure if I adding some welds and better gussets on my little brackets they would do a lot better. Maybe in iteration 2.

Getting closer, hopefully tomorrow I can final size, clean up and paint my support bracket, figure out how to drill holes in my fender, and start wiring. The wiring shouldn't take too long, it's the cleaning up of the wiring and making it look nice that takes a while ;)

Have to make some heat shields for the exhaust manifold in a couple spots.

Attachments

• IMG_4674.jpg
    IMG_4674.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 4,745
  • IMG_4682.jpg
    IMG_4682.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 4,614
  • IMG_4675.jpg
    IMG_4675.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 4,664
  • IMG_4681.jpg
    IMG_4681.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 4,602
Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
More Progress

Making more progress tonight.

Put my 90/120 Viair pressure switch in.

Put my quick-coupler in. Now it's ready to hook up an air hose. My air hose and air chuck are ready too.

Got my coalescing filter support bracket fit up. Drilled mounting holes in the bracket and in the fender, touched up the corners and edges and got a coat of primer on it. Should be able to paint it black tomorrow and bolt it up. I'm a little worried about the sharp edges rubbing on the copper pipe, but we'll just see how it holds up and I can always make adjustments later. I'm probably going to have to eventually weld these brackets to make them stiffer, and/or use some heavier gauge metal to make a more substantial bracket - I've been thinking about how I might be able to put a hydraulic press to work :eek: :wrench: :D

So now I'm pretty much down to wiring. Gonna try to work on that more tonight, and make a big push to get it done. Then I'll need to try and dig up a stopwatch somewhere and do some tests :D

EDIT: I forgot to load pictures last night.

Attachments

• IMG_4683.jpg
    IMG_4683.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 4,901
  • IMG_4684.jpg
    IMG_4684.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 4,615
  • IMG_4685.jpg
    IMG_4685.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 4,719
Last edited:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I'm a little worried about the sharp edges rubbing on the copper pipe, but we'll just see how it holds up and I can always make adjustments later.

Looking great :thumb:

How about some door edge trim/welting?

Welting

I've got a bunch of it that someday will hopefully end up on the 40 but I could donate a bit to your project :) - I'm thinking it would stay in place fine or you might have to glue it down but it should prevent rubbing...You might have to trim your support a bit more for it to fit.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Welting is a good idea Jeff - I might have to swing by your house and pick a little up ;)

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Welting is a good idea Jeff - I might have to swing by your house and pick a little up ;)

:thumb: - Just let me know when and how much you need

subzali

Hard Core 4+
2:45

That's how long it takes, at 900 rpm, to take a 31x10.50R15 from 12 psi to 36 psi. Not a barn burner, but respectable.

I have a leak at my pressure gauge, but other than that, all systems appear to be nominal. I'll post some pictures, and maybe a video, later.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Cool. Glad it's operational. This will be a nice reference thread if I ever get around to it in my 80...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Some pictures (I added some to my post above too that I forgot to add last night).

I know some of you don't like bullet connectors, but I figured they weren't any worse than the spade connectors y'all told me to connect to my relay with (unless they make generic relay plugs that I'm not aware of), so :p: ;)

At least I used split loom ;)

I changed the routing on my leader hose a little to avoid the exhaust manifold, but now it's really close to the brake pressure switch wire. I'll have to keep an eye on that and see what happens.

My coalescing filter support seems to be doing what I wanted it to do; time will tell if it has vibration issues or chafing issues. It definitely could be a little heavier-duty than 22 ga., I can tell that already. 16 ga. would be better. And gusseted/welded.

Attachments

• IMG_4691.jpg
    IMG_4691.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 5,356
  • IMG_4689.jpg
    IMG_4689.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 4,732
  • IMG_4688.jpg
    IMG_4688.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 4,565
  • IMG_4687.jpg
    IMG_4687.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 4,600
  • IMG_4686.jpg
    IMG_4686.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 6,094
Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Matt! I'm still not sure how to properly copy the url over, but I used yours and it works fine!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
2:45

That's how long it takes, at 900 rpm, to take a 31x10.50R15 from 12 psi to 36 psi. Not a barn burner, but respectable.

I have a leak at my pressure gauge, but other than that, all systems appear to be nominal. I'll post some pictures, and maybe a video, later.

Glad you got it going! :thumb: That's about a normal time to fill a tire from most sources. Think about how tiny the actual hole in the valve stem is! On my 40 I have dual stems. The second stems are Monster valves. They will air the 40's down from 25 (street pressure) to 4# in about 20 seconds. They will air back up the tire in about 45 seconds! CO2 seems to air up quicker too than OBA. I think it's probably because of the dry gas.

....looking for a web pic I found this article....pretty much sums it up...
http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0909or_power_tanks_monster_valves/index.html

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Glad you got it going! :thumb: That's about a normal time to fill a tire from most sources. Think about how tiny the actual hole in the valve stem is! On my 40 I have dual stems. The second stems are Monster valves. They will air the 40's down from 25 (street pressure) to 4# in about 20 seconds. They will air back up the tire in about 45 seconds! CO2 seems to air up quicker too than OBA. I think it's probably because of the dry gas.

....looking for a web pic I found this article....pretty much sums it up...
http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0909or_power_tanks_monster_valves/index.html

Cool, yeah I can see that especially for larger tires, having a less restrictive valve would help. CO2 also has the advantage of all of its pressure potential available to quickly inflate the tire. Same with an air receiver. I need to start thinking about where to put one of those now...:wrench:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Sweet you got it going! Put a brick on that gas pedal for faster performance... right around 1200 is a good sweet spot IMO, 2000 is the upper limit. An ice scraper between the pedal and driver seat can make for a good hand throttle.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I just have to add this: I don't know why it takes me so long to do stuff like this - I looked over Marco's thread and he installed his in an afternoon. Mine took me two weeks +/- :rolleyes:

Oh well. It's just the way I am I guess.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I just have to add this: I don't know why it takes me so long to do stuff like this - I looked over Marco's thread and he installed his in an afternoon. Mine took me two weeks +/- :rolleyes:

Oh well. It's just the way I am I guess.

:lmao:

You could have brought it over to my place and it would still have been in pieces this fall so I'd say you did good :thumb: :hill:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Took Jeff's welting and made some cuts so it could make the bend. We'll see what happens here. I might have to come up with some sort of hold-down so the pipe doesn't bounce out of the slot. It's ugly for now but if the theory works I'll clean it up some.

Attachments

• IMG_4730.jpg
    IMG_4730.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4731.jpg
    IMG_4731.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 300