• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Black Bear Pass/Imogene Pass Run - 7/31-8/2

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Anyone up for running Black Bear and Imogene this summer? I've never run either of them before, and I can't make it to HIH this year, so I'd love to get down there with a few other rigs, if possible. I plan on camping somewhere in the area, probably at either Ironton Park near the Black Bear trailhead, or maybe near the Imogene trailhead on the Ouray side.

As I said before, I've never run either of these trails, so it'd be awesome to get someone with some experience in the area. Regardless, all are welcome!

UPDATE 6/2/20:

This run will take place 7/31-8/2 (Friday-Sunday) - seems like this is when most people are available, and our best chance of avoiding snow/closed trails. I figure we'll head down Friday and set up camp at Ironton Park. I'd like to run Black Bear and Imogene on Saturday (if this is possible!), heading back to camp in Ironton Park again Saturday night (basically making one big loop), and then head back to town on Sunday. As we get closer, I might wind up staying Sunday and running Engineer Pass as well (those who are interested can run it regardless, obviously).

Here are those who have shown interest in joining thus far:

@J1000 - Confirmed
@gungriffin - Confirmed
@MarcusW - Confirmed
@bassguyry - Confirmed
@DaveInDenver
@Shuksan
@FunkyYota
@baileyfj40
@krice118
@Cocarlisle
@nakman
@On the RX
@LXBRADY
@Stuckinthe80s

As mentioned before, I've never run these trails before, so I'd really love to have someone with experience (specifically with Black Bear) join up - I'm sure someone in the group above has. :)

Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Recently they haven't been open in June and last year Black Bear wasnt open until August. We were there on August 2nd and it wasnt open yet

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Recently they haven't been open in June and last year Black Bear wasnt open until August. We were there on August 2nd and it wasnt open yet
Understood. Though, based on what I've read, last year seems to be the exception, not the rule. Black Bear opened in early July in 2017, and late June in 2018. We shall see!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
It is too far out for me to commit, but I also am not going to HIH this year. I definitely was thinking about a weekend in the San Juans. I would probably have a better chance of being able to do the end of July.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I would definitely be up for another Ouray/Silverton trip at some point this summer. It might make sense to see what the end of Winter and Spring brings for snow to see if it is possible to go earlier in the Summer. I would be all about trying to avoid the hoards.

I am planning to try for HIH, but that has become a real crap shoot. Last year it sold out in about 100 seconds. Some people weren't able to get in this last Summer simply because the page didn't load quickly enough or correctly.

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I would definitely be up for another Ouray/Silverton trip at some point this summer. It might make sense to see what the end of Winter and Spring brings for snow to see if it is possible to go earlier in the Summer. I would be all about trying to avoid the hoards.

I am planning to try for HIH, but that has become a real crap shoot. Last year it sold out in about 100 seconds. Some people weren't able to get in this last Summer simply because the page didn't load quickly enough or correctly.
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed in how awful the registration process for HIH was last year. As such, I'm not really all that upset about missing it this year. I mean, that this stuff is in our own backyard after all... :)

I'm definitely all for seeing how the end of winter/spring goes from a snowfall perspective - going earlier in the summer would be awesome, IMO. (y)

krice118

Trail Ready
I will be in the area that weekend. Would love to run some trails with some RS guys.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I will be in the area that weekend. Would love to run some trails with some RS guys.

Do you mean Ouray or Denver? If Ouray, I am not sure what is open this time of year. I thought that it was all only seasonally open.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
This is a great thing to put in the 4 wheeling and event staging area.

Jameson

Rising Sun Member
Too far out for me to commit to specific dates... but I would definitely be interested. I accidentally ran part of Imogene in my mother in-law's Subaru Outback years ago. Needless to say, we didn't make it far and she got a flat. Will be nice to see what this run is like with a capable vehicle and now more experienced driver. Snow pack is at 88% in the San Juans so far for this year... so not impossible for it to be open at a decent time. That said, a lot can happen before end of winter!

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
I’m not 100% but very interested and could start planning

Would love to run those trails !!!!

PWCO70cruiser

Lifted
Colorado Landcruisers will be headed down to the San Juans Sept 4-10. Those are trails we will likely be running. Camping at Golden Horn (free) just north of Silverton. Its come and goes as you please...come of the whole thing, or just a couple days. We will also be running other trails throughout the week. Last year we had a great turn out and ran some great trails.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah, there's your ticket right there Ry, hook up with the southern boys! By September all the snow is plowed and the fires are pretty much out, great time to be in the area. I'm probably doubtful for this one, I'll be there in July for HIH, again in August for SAS, not sure a 3fer is in the cards but we shall see! Black Bear is one of the few passes that actually lives up to the hype-

Neely and I will be in Ouray starting the 8th of July. I would love to have a get together. We have what we call our "rookie" run. We go to Telluride over Black Bear, then run Imogene back over to Ouray.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Neely and I will be in Ouray starting the 8th of July. I would love to have a get together. We have what we call our "rookie" run. We go to Telluride over Black Bear, then run Imogene back over to Ouray.

Black bear isnt typically open then. Last year it didnt open until early August but usually be end of July