• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Black Bear Pass/Imogene Pass Run - 7/31-8/2

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
Hate to burst your bubbles guys, black bear and imigene pass are closed until further notice due to rock slides.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Yeah I have been seeing posts about that this evening. Hopefully they get it cleared out for y'all. I have only done these runs in dry conditions, but I could imaging some rain making things a bit slicker.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Looks like a mudslide has Imogene pass closed temporarily. I hope it's open for you all! If you can, get pics of the slide to sate my geology addiction!

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Welp, that sucks. :mad:

I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully, they manage to get everything cleared up before Friday/Saturday.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
This is one place where you'll hear about it being open again first.

https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/406/Road-Conditions

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 9.15.22 AM.png

But their Facebook page is even more up to date...

https://www.facebook.com/smccoroads/

Last edited:

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Wow, that was fast!

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Looks like the forecast is calling for mostly sunny days while we're down there, with only a 20% chance of rain. Hopefully it stays that way!

@gungriffin, @J1000, @MarcusW - looks like you guys are all confirmed for the trip. Anyone have a suggestion on where to meet? Maybe the Home Depot at C-470 and 285? I'm thinking we meet there at 9:30AM on Friday, and head out.

As for comms, I've got seven Midland FRS handheld radios we can use (if you guys are cool with that), and just got a new Midland GMRS MicroMobile radio that I'll be mounting in my truck before the trip. I don't have Ham yet, and CB sucks. :)

MarcusW

New-ish
@bassguyry I just bought an MTX115 and applied for a GMRS license, thanks for the excuse ;) I'll have that and my ham radio in the truck for this trip.

My buddy is not coming so will just be me and my 10 yr old son MJ, meet-up plan sounds good to me. Do we have a camp area picked out yet? I was going to look at some motor vehicle use maps and see if I could find some dispersed camping near by, my son and I would be sleeping in hammocks so having some trees available would be nice ;)

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I just saw that you were looking at staying at Ironton Park. That place gets really busy at this time of year with toy haulers and such. Any chance that you might want to seek some dispersed camping on a trail?

*Edit* Totally okay if not, but it seems worth asking.

Last edited:

MarcusW

New-ish
I'm definitely wanting to do the dispersed camping vs a regular park. Just started looking and found some south of the Black Bear pass trailhead off 550 North of Silverton. Looks like there is a bunch on 679, 820, 825, 822, and 823.
bbear_dispersed_200728.PNG

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Wow good work by the road crews out there to get all the roads back open.

There is good camping (though not a ton of spots) at the end of the south mineral creek road (585 I think). Another great spot up off of Governor's basin which is a nice since it is easy to access from the Ouray side of immogene. Although it is decently high in elevation, the views are amazing.

MarcusW

New-ish
Looks like there are 5 camp sites down 585, definitely an option as well.

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We are en route to Telluride as we speak. Possibly running engineer on Sunday. Thanks for the heads up. We will monitor.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
Has anyone heard from the RS group? I don't know if Engineer was in their plans.

We were part of the rescue on Friday, happened on the first 1/2 mile of Engineer as we were heading to Poughkeepsie.

We rigged a winch on the front bumper and the rear bumper of the truck in order to stabilize and extract the people inside. 60 something driver, his wife, daughter and granddaughter in the rig. We happened upon the flop right after it happened and all got out safe.

We did not extract the rig due to liability and a tow was on the way. We were staying at the 4J campground and apparently so were they. We caught up to them later to hear the truck was totaled due to oil hydrolock when they tried to start it once it was upright.

J9JPqCz9TAyTx3g+ZvMvRQ.jpg
IMG_1270-1.jpeg