• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Bike for the wife

subzali

Hard Core 4+
My $0.02 is a good bike will always be a good bike. The old technology wasn't bad and high quality components will trump buzz words any day. IOW if I had the choice between 8 year old XT or X.9 or new Acera, well, it wouldn't take but a split second to go with the old stuff as long as it's not all worn out. The main problem with the 8 and 9 speed stuff is it's impossible to find decent replacement parts, so you're forced into 10 and 11 speed drivetrains to get anything now.

As far as geometry, I wouldn't think too hard over that. Yes, it matters. Absolutely so. Will she understand the little differences in a few mm different top tube or a degree more or less slack head tube? Nope. And it's not like we didn't understand bike geometry and bike fit back then. It's not like biomechanics was suddenly discovered in 2018.

Thanks again for that Dave. And I’m not really as concerned about the components availability, at least 9 speed. Performance has an XT 9 speed rear derailleur for $70; took just a minute to find it. XT 9 spd cassette is $56. 9 spd is still used on a lot of new bikes so I’m sure it will be available for a while to come.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
BTW, Commencal is a known boutique brand. They make good stuff. I believe they are a French company.

Personally, I'm a sucker for those old Blurs, so biased.

I might pass on the 2011 Stumperjumper Comp because it's got a very tall front end that might be overwhelming for her. That's the downside of long travel forks is it pushes the front end up.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
BTW, Commencal is a known boutique brand. They make good stuff. I believe they are a French company.

Personally, I'm a sucker for those old Blurs, so biased.

I might pass on the 2011 Stumperjumper Comp because it's got a very tall front end that might be overwhelming for her. That's the downside of long travel forks is it pushes the front end up.

Yeah thinking the same. Too much travel. The 2010 FSR XC is available so might take a look. It’s Deore and SLX which is meh. The Blur is an old ad and while I too get excited over Blurs I’m not expecting it to be available. The Commencal is intriguing; they open up shop next week in Golden. And then a new Pitch Comp or Rockhopper Comp are kinda the other hardtails I’m comparing.

wesintl

RS Moderator
call me crazy but for my wife or kid i think i'd want new acera vs xt that has 3k or 5k or more miles on it. Like i said depends on shape and mileage.

With a new bike there might be more resale ability if she gets into it and wants something better.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
With a new bike there might be more resale ability if she gets into it and wants something better.
Do you honestly think so? I mean those Blurs were originally $3k or $4k and they're going for $400. Perhaps easier to sell something newer but who's the market? Someone upgrading is going to go higher end and folks like the Millers here are balancing mid level used vs lower end new, which I suspect most people do.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
call me crazy but for my wife or kid i think i'd want new acera vs xt that has 3k or 5k or more miles on it. Like i said depends on shape and mileage.

I like that way of thinking as well. Killing me with reason. Just want to make sure she doesn’t feel out gunned if riding with friends. The friend with the Jynx Sport was bought by a big bike guy so I guess I was being a little insecure about the decision. But looking at the specs I think a pitch Sport is basically the same build, don’t know why they only built the Jynx for 2 years, but that would at least put her on equal footing with that friend.

Can always upgrade components a little at a time too if I for some reason have too much heartburn with acera, which Wes is probably right is doubtful. It’s just such a temptation to get a deep discount off MSRP even if it’s a few years old.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Do you honestly think so? I mean those Blurs were originally $3k or $4k and they're going for $400. Perhaps easier to sell something newer but who's the market? Someone upgrading is going to go higher end and folks like the Millers here are balancing mid level used vs lower end new, which I suspect most people do.

So you buy a blur for $400. trying to resell a 10 year old blur a year later probably not so easy vs selling a year old specialized pitch. Maybe it's easy. I really don't resell my bikes :)

Few years old fine a 10 year old blur where all the bushings might need to be replaced. dunno how long the rear shock will last. I see all those rubber seals dry and fail on all the old bikes (in the dry climate here). Hey, as long as you know what your getting into. I usually find that when i buy something used in the end it's often not that much of a good deal by the time i replace and fix it to the way i want it. as you know YMMV

Riding a steel hardtail i'm only usually outgunned by my legs and lungs. I will admit on a hardtail it's hard for me to keep up with suspension folks on the downhill. Plus i should dial it back if i want to go to work the next next day. The blur looks nice tho :)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
There is a guy in Littleton who fixes up bicycles and sells them out of his garage. I bought a hardtail Trek from him in 2016 for $175. Here's his information:

Bobby (the Bicycle Guy)
7439 S Cody Way Littleton CO
303-933-8762 home
720-472-1135 mobile

I'm still pleased with the mountain bike I bought from him. Might be worth seeing what he has in inventory. You never know.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So you buy a blur for $400. trying to resell a 10 year old blur a year later probably not so easy vs selling a year old specialized pitch. Maybe it's easy. I really don't resell my bikes :)
I've never had an easy time selling any used bike, it's either hard to find a buyer at all or the price eventually fell pretty low. Some were old, some not. The people looking for newer stuff aren't willing to pay much, why should they if something new is only a little more and old and is just old. You usually have to expect to get 1/2 of what you paid new IME.
Few years old fine a 10 year old blur where all the bushings might need to be replaced. dunno how long the rear shock will last. I see all those rubber seals dry and fail on all the old bikes (in the dry climate here). Hey, as long as you know what your getting into. I usually find that when i buy something used in the end it's often not that much of a good deal by the time i replace and fix it to the way i want it. as you know YMMV
I think unless it's essentially still a new bike, months old sort of thing, anything used is probably being sold because of being well used or neglected. Either way most of the time it's going to need attention. If someone was using it and still maintaining it they probably wouldn't be selling it in the first place. Some people buy and sell bikes often but they're probably higher end enthusiast types in a different market then we're talking about here. I do find that people who spend more for their bikes do at least lube them and bring them in from the rain, so at least they're not too rusty.

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Pro's Closet gave me $675, IIRC, for my 12yo Yeti 575 last summer, all handled through my LBS.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So at some point I convinced myself that a used full suspension would be the best bet. I felt that having the extra travel and give would give her more confidence in new terrain and rocks and the weight penalty wouldn’t matter right now. And then I saw this bike on Craigslist and had to have it.

2012 Turner 5.Spot size small built up from the frame. It was this guy’s wife’s bike and she was upgrading to an Ibis Mojo 3 carbon.

Fox Evolution RL
Fox Float RL with DW Link of course
2x9 Shimano LX bottom bracket and cranks
XT front derailleur
SRAM X9 rear derailleur
X9 grip shifts, which I liked because she’s already used to grip shift
9point8 Fall Line dropper post
Cane Creek headset
Sunline bars
SLX hydraulic discs
ZTR arch wheels
Hope Pro2 Evo hubs
Stan’s tubeless
Maxxis Minion tires 27.5 front 26 rear. Kinda weird but the 27.5 fits and works.
Anyway she’s had a couple rides on it, everything seems good and she’s enjoying herself. Way more bike than she needs right now but so what. It was a little above our original budget but not much. I got s grease gun and spare chain out of the deal too, and the dropper post is like $400 new. So I’m happy to have a Turner in da house and we’re both happy she’s not on a Schwinn.