• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Bike for the wife

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Looking for a mountain bike for my wife, could use some of your guys' expert advice as I'm way behind the times. My wife is 5'-4", 29" inseam, which I think means small frame in general. She's never really ridden mtb before. Mostly what we've done is cruise Waterton up to the dam and Highline canal type stuff. But she has a couple girlfriends that ride so she wants to go with them and perhaps with me on occasion. One of her friends has a 2015 Specialized Jynx Sport ($700 MSRP) and the other has a GT Marathon. So I want to get here something that is good enough for her to enjoy but don't want to break the bank doing it either, kinda have a top limit of $800.

So found a couple on clist:
15" Scott Cantessa $240 on this posting (5th image from top left): https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/bikes-bikes-bikes-tuned-ready/6513347075.html

15.5" Gary Fisher Tassajara $275: https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d/womens-specific-mountain-bike/6532788970.html

15" Cannondale F5 $300: https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/cannondale-f5-trail-sl-small/6542812964.html

2013 Cannondale Trail SL4 $400 ($270 BBB), unsure of size: https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/bik/d/2013-cannondale-trail-sl4/6541358817.html

New Cannondale Foray for

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Sizing is somewhat difficult. Those old Santa Cruz tend to run small and with a 29" inseam I wouldn't be scared of a medium for her. They did favor short torsos since they have short top tubes. Kirsten had a medium Superlight and she's I think about 4 or 5 inches taller and it was too small.

My general recommendation is to buy hardtail under $1,000. You get a lot more for your money. However since you're looking at 26" wheel bikes you can get used full suspension for a song since everyone's moved to 29" and 27.5" wheels. So the only downside to full suspension in that case is weight and maintenance. Don't minimize the importance, riding a poor running, heavy, clunky bike is the single quickest way to turn someone off to cycling.

Of those you link my recommendation is the Blur or FSR, both were pretty decent bikes in their day. They still continue to be reasonably good if somewhat dated technology. The Cantessa and Tassajara are lower end bikes. Might be snobbish of me but I would put those squarely in limited bike path duty.

If you can swing the ~$500 to $600, either the Blur or Specialize will not be a disadvantage at all compared to a Jynx and Marathon. The Gary Fisher is probably about the same as the Jynx more or less.

BTW, there's a rough value guide for bikes: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchBikes.aspx

Says a Blur of that vintage should be about $450 and that's if it's immaculate.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Dave, that's exactly what I needed because I've been out of it for so long I can't tell by name where the bikes fall in the range of things. Yes, definitely will have to have her buy into the decision of full suspension vs. hardtail, with weight being a consideration.

I added some more Cannondales; just kinda searching by brand name. Any other brands I should be looking at?

subzali

Hard Core 4+

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
If you can kick the tires on both a small and medium Santa Cruz you'll be able to tell quickly. You can tweak with stem length and honestly she'll probably be fine on either but I can tell you she'll think she needs a small.

It's an almost universal truth that new riders buy a bike that's too small for them because they think they should be able to reach the ground from the saddle and end up cramped because the top tube is too short. But since she's not serious yet it's not a big deal.

benjrblant

Trail Ready
[...]My general recommendation is to buy hardtail under $1,000. You get a lot more for your money. However since you're looking at 26" wheel bikes you can get used full suspension for a song since everyone's moved to 29" and 27.5" wheels. So the only downside to full suspension in that case is weight and maintenance. Don't minimize the importance, riding a poor running, heavy, clunky bike is the single quickest way to turn someone off to cycling[....]
I could not agree with this more.
I worked in a shop and would see customers with terrible bikes that would often confuse their dislike of the bicycle for dislike of the sport. Having the correct tool for the job here is just as important as any other application.
Hardtail seems the way to go and I'd aim towards the top of your budget. Nameless brakes or suspension forks and 5-8 speed cassettes would be a red flag that you're looking at something very dated or towards the bottom end of the spectrum.
Correct gearing and reasonably weighted frame and wheels will help when climbing. Disc brakes are ideal in the mountains but tuning them correctly is equally important.

$800 is also a reasonable pricepoint for a new ride too. I'd recommend dropping in a shop or REI (as much as I dislike REI) and testing out a variety of whats available. It's easy to get caught up in specs and features but a bike has a very personal and adjustable fit so matching this is also important. Most shops are pretty friendly and would be happy to walk you through some of this in further detail.

wesintl

RS Moderator
a motive from walmart and she'll be fine... ;)

subzali

Hard Core 4+

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I could not agree with this more.
I worked in a shop and would see customers with terrible bikes that would often confuse their dislike of the bicycle for dislike of the sport. Having the correct tool for the job here is just as important as any other application.
Hardtail seems the way to go and I'd aim towards the top of your budget. Nameless brakes or suspension forks and 5-8 speed cassettes would be a red flag that you're looking at something very dated or towards the bottom end of the spectrum.
Correct gearing and reasonably weighted frame and wheels will help when climbing. Disc brakes are ideal in the mountains but tuning them correctly is equally important.

$800 is also a reasonable pricepoint for a new ride too. I'd recommend dropping in a shop or REI (as much as I dislike REI) and testing out a variety of whats available. It's easy to get caught up in specs and features but a bike has a very personal and adjustable fit so matching this is also important. Most shops are pretty friendly and would be happy to walk you through some of this in further detail.

Lol the last shop we went to to talk to them about getting a road bike for her, the sales guy basically told her that if she got into road biking she would end up getting hit by a couple cars and probably getting in some fist fights during her road cycling career. Maybe not exaggerated but I was like, "really, that's how you inspire someone to get into a sport?"

Man no wonder I could never be a roadie. :rolleyes: Yeah not going back to Bicycle Village in Littleton.

But I get your point and I've been trying to convince her to maybe do some rentals or demos.

wesintl

RS Moderator
If you think she is just riding waterton then a hardtail. Less to go wrong and replace shocks when worn out. If you think she will ride GM lair etc get a full suspension. I've been riding a bunch but i still feel out of it. Get the best condition bike if used.

honestly if you are going up to $800 get a 27.5+. I think the BigS in pitch . don't remember how much it is but should be close. new bike, new components, free adjustments, etc

subzali

Hard Core 4+
If you think she is just riding waterton then a hardtail. Less to go wrong and replace shocks when worn out. If you think she will ride GM lair etc get a full suspension. I've been riding a bunch but i still feel out of it. Get the best condition bike if used.

honestly if you are going up to $800 get a 27.5+. I think the BigS in pitch . don't remember how much it is but should be close. new bike, new components, free adjustments, etc

2018 Specialized Women's Pitch Comp 27.5 MSRP $650
DRIVETRAIN
CHAIN KMC X9EPT, 9-speed, anti-corrosion coating w/ reusable Missing Link™
BOTTOM BRACKET Square taper, 73mm, internal bearings
CRANKSET Stout, forged alloy, 3x9
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus FD-M370, 34.9mm clamp, top-swing
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Acera, 3x9
CASSETTE Sunrace, 9-speed, 11-34t
CHAINRINGS 44/32/22T
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Acera 9-speed

SUSPENSION
FORK SR Suntour XCM w/MCD 27.5, Women's Rx Tune, coil spring, custom Multi-Circuit damping, 80/100mm travel (size-specific)

COCKPIT
SADDLE Myth Sport, steel rails, 155mm
SEATPOST Alloy, 12mm offset, 2-bolt clamp, 30.9mm
STEM Stout 3D-forged alloy, 31.8mm, 6-degree rise
HANDLEBARS Stout double-butted alloy, 18mm rise, 8-degree backsweep, 4-degree upsweep, 740mm width, 31.8mm
GRIPS Specialized MTB Grip, lock-on

WHEELS
FRONT HUB Shimano Center Lock, disc, 100x9mm QR, 32h
REAR HUB Shimano Center Lock, disc, 135x9mm QR, 32h
SPOKES Stainless, 14g
RIMS Stout Trail 27.5, alloy, disc only, double-wall, 25mm inner width, 32h
FRONT TIRE Ground Control Sport, Flak Jacket flat protection, wire bead, 27.5 x 2.3""
REAR TIRE Ground Control Sport, Flak Jacket flat protection, wire bead, 27.5 x 2.3""

BRAKES
FRONT BRAKE Shimano BR-M315, hydraulic disc, resin pads, 180/160mm rotor
REAR BRAKE Shimano BR-M315, hydraulic disc, resin pads, 160mm rotor

ACCESSORIES
PEDALS Specialized Dirt

FRAMESET
SEAT BINDER Alloy, QR clamp, 34.9mm
FRAME A1 Premium Aluminum, Women's Sport Trail 27.5 Geometry, zero-stack head tube, internal cable routing, 135x9mm forged dropouts, chainstay-mounted disc brake, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger

subzali

Hard Core 4+
2010 Specialized FSR XC Comp MSRP $1550

DRIVETRAIN
CHAIN KMC X9 w/ reuseable Missing Link
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm
CRANKSET Shimano FC-M442, Octalink Spline, replaceable rings w/ alloy outer, S: 170mm, others: 175mm
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano FD-M590 Deore, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, bottom pull
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano SL-M531 Deore, trigger
CASSETTE Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11-34t
CHAINRINGS 44A x 32S x 22S
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano RD-M662 SLX Shadow, long cage

SUSPENSION
FORK Rock Shox Tora SLite, 120mm travel, alloy steer, magnesium lower, rebound and preload adj. w/ LO
REAR SHOCK X Fusion 02RLA, Custom tuned for Specialized, rebound adj. w/lock-out, 7.5x1.75"", 2 bearing upper shock mount

WHEELS
FRONT HUB Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, 32h, QR
REAR HUB Disc, double sealed cartridge bearing, high/low flange w/ OS contact side, 32h, QR
INNER TUBES Schraeder valve
SPOKES 1.8mm (15g) stainless
FRONT TIRE Specialized The Captain Sport, 26.2.2"", 60 TPI, wire bead
RIMS Alex RHD, disc, double wall w/ eyelets, 32h
REAR TIRE Specialized The Captain Sport, 26x2.0"", 60 TPI, wire bead

COCKPIT
SADDLE Specialized Rival, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers
SEATPOST 6061 alloy, 2-bolt micro adjust setback head, 30.9mm
STEM 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm, adjustable rise
HANDLEBARS XC low rise, 6061 butted alloy, 660mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up
GRIPS Specialized waffle lock on grip (S/M) Specialized thick lock on grip (L/XL)

BRAKES
FRONT BRAKE Avid Juicy 3 SL hydraulic disc, alloy backed brake pads, caliper/adapter w/ Clean Sweep Rotor, S/M: 185mm, L/XL: 203mm
BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 3 SL Hydraulic
REAR BRAKE Avid Juicy 3 SL full hydraulic, alloy backed brake pads, w/ Clean Sweep Rotor, S/M: 160mm, L/XL: 185mm rotor

ACCESSORIES
PEDALS Alloy body and cage, 9/16""

FRAMESET
HEADSET 1-1/8"" threadless, loose ball
SEAT BINDER Alloy collar w/ QR, 34.9mm clamp ID
FRAME FSR XC M4 tubing, rocker design, bolt on cable guides, 120mm travel, sealed cartridge pivot bearings, disc only, replaceable rear derailleur hanger

subzali

Hard Core 4+
2004? Specialized Stumpjumper FSR M4 (Expert?) medium $700 ($300 BBB): https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/specialized-fsr-m4-stumpjumper/6541537109.html

Wheels and Tires
Hubs: Front: Specialized Stout, Rear: Shimano HB-M525
Rims: Mavic X225, 32-hole
Tires: 26 x 2.00inch Specialized Roll-X
Spoke Brand: DT stainless steel, 15ga. (1.8mm) straight gauge
Spoke Nipples: Aluminum nipples

Components
Brakeset: Avid Single Digit 5 brakes, Avid SD 5 levers
Shift Levers: Shimano Deore LX RapidFire SL
Crankset: Shimano Deore XT, 22/32/44 teeth
Pedals: Shimano PD-M515 SPD
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-ES30, 121mm spindle
BB Shell Width: 68mm English
Rear Cogs: 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
Seatpost: Aluminum, 30.9mm diameter
Saddle: Specialized Body Geometry Comp
Handlebar: Specialized aluminum
Handlebar Stem: Specialized riser
Headset: 1 1/8inch threadless aluminum

subzali

Hard Core 4+
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper (Comp?) medium $450 ($420 BBB): https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/2011-specialized-stumperjumper/6532117435.html

DRIVETRAIN
CHAIN KMC X10, 10-speed, w/ reuseable Missing Link, nickel plates
BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM GXP, outboard bearing
CRANKSET Custom SRAM S-1250, GXP spindle, 10-speed, 7050 alloy arms, S: 170mm, others: 175mm
FRONT DERAILLEUR SRAM X.7, 10-speed, S1 direct mount for DMD, bottom pull
SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X.7, 10-speed, aluminum trigger
CASSETTE Shimano HG81, 10-speed, 11-36t
CHAINRINGS 22A/33A/44A, 4-bolt, 104/64mm
REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X.9, 10-speed, long cage

SUSPENSION
FORK RockShox Revelation RL, Dual Air, 140mm travel, disc only, alloy steerer, Motion Control damper, rebound and compression adj. w/LO
REAR SHOCK Custom Fox Triad II for Specialized, custom on-the-fly 3-position switch 1) lock out 2) Open 3) ProPedal pedal assisting damping, rebound adj., 7.875x1.9"

WHEELS
FRONT HUB Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, OS 28 end caps, sealed cartridge bearing, 28h, 9mm thru-axle QR
REAR HUB Specialized Hi Lo disc, double sealed cartridge bearing, OS contact side, 32h, QR
INNER TUBES Ultralight presta valve
SPOKES DT Swiss Champion 1.8mm (15g) stainless
FRONT TIRE S-Works Purgatory, 120 TPI, 2Bliss ready aramid bead, dual compound, 26x2.2""
RIMS Custom DT Swiss X420SL, 24mm w/ eyelets, 28h
REAR TIRE Specialized ""The Captain"" Control, 60 TPI, 2Bliss ready aramid bead, dual compound, 26x2.0"

COCKPIT
SADDLE Specialized BG Henge Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm width
SEATPOST 2014 butted alloy, single bolt setback, 30.9mm, S/M: 350mm, others: 400mm
STEM Specialized XC, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm clamp, adjustable rise
HANDLEBARS Specialized XC low-rise bar, 2014 butted alloy, 680mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up, 31.8mm
GRIPS Specialized lock-on, S/M: Grappler, Other: Rocca

BRAKES
FRONT BRAKE Custom Avid Elixir R SL, hydraulic disc, alloy backed semi-metallic pads, reach adjust, stainless hardware, S/M: 185mm, L/XL: 203mm rotor
BRAKE LEVERS Custom Avid Elixir R SL hydraulic, tool-less reach adj.
REAR BRAKE Custom Avid Elixir R SL, hydralic disk, alloy backed semi-metallic pads, reach adjust, stainless hardware, S/M: 160mm, L/XL: 185mm

ACCESSORIES
PEDALS Resin Test Ride Pedals with toe clips, CEN std.

FRAMESET
HEADSET 1 1/8"" upper and lower campy style cartridge bearings for integrated alloy HT
SEAT BINDER 34.9mm clamp ID, 7050 hard annodized alloy collar w/ QR, black
FRAME M5 manipulated alloy w/ ORE TT/DT, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, 140mm travel

Alternately:
Wheels and Tires
Hubs: Specialized Hi Lo disc
Tires: Specialized tubeless-ready, Front: S-Works Purgatory, 26 x 2.2; Rear: The Captain Control, 26 x 2.0
Spoke Brand: DT Swiss 1.8mm, stainless-steel

Components
Brakeset: Avid Elixir R SL disc, 7/6-inch rotors
Shift Levers: SRAM X7
Rear Cogs: Shimano, 10-speed: 11-36
Saddle: Specialized BG Henge Comp
Handlebar: Specialized XC low-rise
Handlebar Stem: Specialized XC adjustable rise

Factory Description

Through tree-lined trails and across the high plains, over roots, rocks and sweet singletrack, Specialized's Stumpjumper FSR Comp rides smooth and confident. Its light M5-aluminum frame is mated to the legendary FSR suspension system for super efficient climbing, while the 140mm of buttery travel front and rear lets you attack the descents with unmatched voracity. Fox supplies the shock, RockShox, the fork - and they're both tunable to the trail and how you want to ride it. To keep you railing, the Comp features lightweight DT Swiss wheels, a flawless SRAM 3x10 drivetrain and powerful Avid Elixir discs that stop strong in even the nastiest conditions. Plus, you get a whole spread of Specialized's stellar components, too.

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc medium $275 ($160 BBB): https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d/specialized-rockhopper-comp/6542657601.html

Wheels and Tires
Hubs: Specialized Hi Lo disc
Tires: Specialized Fast Trak Control, tubeless-ready, 26 x 2.0
Spoke Brand: 15-gauge stainless-steel

Components
Brakeset: Avid BB-5, mechanical-disc
Shift Levers: Shimano Deore
Pedals: Specialized aluminum
Rear Cogs: Shimano HG50, 9-speed: 11-34
Saddle: Specialized Indie XC
Handlebar: Specialized aluminum riser
Handlebar Stem: Specialized aluminum

Factory Description
With Specialized's light, agile M4-aluminum frame, a 100mm-travel RockShox Tora fork and powerful Avid disc brakes, the Rockhopper Comp Disc is ready for anything. Plus, its 27-speed full Shimano drivetrain lets you spin easily up tough climbs and fly down fireroads effortlessly. And, with Specialized/Alex rims wrapped with Fast Trak tires, you'll stick to the trail and keep the rubber side down.

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
2007-2008 Santa Cruz Blur XC small $650 ($550-$600 BBB): https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/santa-cruz-blur-xc-small/6501537431.html

Wheels: DT Swiss 340
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7, 6 inch rotors
Front/Rear Derailleurs: Shimano XT
Shifters: Shimano XT Rapidfire
Front Shock: Fox F100
Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23
Crank: Shimano XT
Bar: Raceface Deus XT
Stem: FSA XC 150
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: WTB Rocket V Stealth

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Had an acquaintance who works for SRAM recommend this bike: Commencal El Camino Girly (MSRP $599): https://www.commencalusa.com/el-camino-650b-girly-2018-c2x23712987

I've never heard of these guys so it's interesting. Also not sure 29" is right for her, seems too tall for her height.

FRAME 2018 EL CAMINO 29, Alloy 6061
SHOCK –
FORK RST BLAZE T, 29", 120 mm, 1 1/8" steerer
HEADSET SEMI-INTEGRATED ZS44 / ZS44
STEM EL CAMINO, Alloy forged, 50 mm, 31.8 mm
BAR COMMENCAL, 740 mm, 25 mm rise
GRIPS RIDE ALPHA, ergonomic grips, one plastic lock, super soft compound
BRAKES TEKTRO HD-M 285, hydraulic disc brake 180 mm / 160 mm, with reach adjustment
SHIFTERS SRAM X4, 3 x 8 speed
FRONT / REAR MECH SRAM X4, 3 speed / SRAM X3, 8 speed
BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM Powerspline
CRANKSET SRAM S200 22/32/42T, 170 mm on XS/S/M and 175 mm on L/XL
CHAIN YABAN S8
CASSETTE SRAM PG 820, 11-32T, 8 speed
RIMS ALEXRIMS TD 19, double wall, 32 holes, 19 mm inner width
HUBS FORMULA, 32 holes
SPOKES / NIPPLES PILLAR spokes steel 1.8 mm black / brass nipples 12 mm black
TYRES KENDA SLANT 6, 29 x 2.35"
SEATPOST NEW RIDE ALPHA, 31.6 mm, no offset, 400 mm
SADDLE COMMENCAL, El Camino Girly specific, steel black rails, soft padding
WEIGHT 14.1 kg
PEDALS INCLUDED Yes
ACCESSORIES Chainstay protector

subzali

Hard Core 4+
And just putting this here to compare some new hardtails...Specialized Rockhopper Comp 27.5 MSRP $725:

DRIVETRAIN
CHAIN KMC X9EPT, 9-speed, anti-corrosion coating w/ reusable Missing Link™
BOTTOM BRACKET Square taper, 73mm, internal bearings
CRANKSET Stout, forged alloy, 3x9
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Altus FD-M371, 34.9mm clamp, down-swing
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Acera 3x9
CASSETTE Sunrace, 9-speed, 11-34t
CHAINRINGS 44/32/22T
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Acera, 9-speed

SUSPENSION
FORK SR Suntour XCM w/MCD 29, Women's Rx Tune, coil spring, custom Multi-Circuit damping, QR, 80/90/100mm travel (size-specific), 46mm offset

WHEELS
FRONT HUB Shimano Center Lock, disc, 100x9mm QR, 32h
REAR HUB Shimano Center Lock, disc, 135x9mm QR, 32h
INNER TUBES Presta, 40mm valve
SPOKES Stainless, 14g
RIMS Stout XC 25 29, alloy, disc only, double-wall, 25mm internal width, 28/32h
FRONT TIRE Ground Control Sport, Flak Jacket flat protection, wire bead, 29x2.3"
REAR TIRE Ground Control Sport, Flak Jacket flat protection, wire bead, 29x2.1"

COCKPIT
SADDLE Myth Sport, steel rails, 155mm
SEATPOST Alloy, 12mm offset, 2-bolt clamp, 30.9mm
STEM Stout 3D-forged alloy, 31.8mm, 6-degree rise
HANDLEBARS Stout double-butted alloy, 10mm rise, 10-degree backsweep, 4-degree upsweep, 700mm width, 31.8mm
GRIPS Specialized MTB Grip, lock-on

BRAKES
FRONT BRAKE Shimano BR-M315, hydraulic disc, resin pads, 180/160mm rotor
REAR BRAKE Shimano BR-M315, hydraulic disc, resin pads, 160mm rotor

ACCESSORIES
PEDALS Specialized Dirt

FRAMESET
SEAT BINDER Alloy, QR clamp, 34.9mm
FRAME A1 Aluminum, Women's Sport XC 29 Geometry, zero-stack head tube,internal cable routing, 135x9mm forged dropouts, chainstay-mounted disc brake, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Well I guess after all this geeking out and fussing around I'm torn at a decision point. To stay in budget either we can go with older geometry with "better" (at least for the time period) components. .Or we can go with current geometry and sacrifice a little on components. Which is better? I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it would be better to go with older geometry in any case. That the geometry will make the biggest difference in the ride quality. Obviously to a point. But Acera-ish components should be good enough for a first bike as long as the geometry is good.

Therefore I'm leaning toward a new hardtail vs. a used hardtail or full suspension. And then it goes to the points made above by Wes and Ben.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
My $0.02 is a good bike will always be a good bike. The old technology wasn't bad and high quality components will trump buzz words any day. IOW if I had the choice between 8 year old XT or X.9 or new Acera, well, it wouldn't take but a split second to go with the old stuff as long as it's not all worn out. The main problem with the 8 and 9 speed stuff is it's impossible to find decent replacement parts, so you're forced into 10 and 11 speed drivetrains to get anything now.

As far as geometry, I wouldn't think too hard over that. Yes, it matters. Absolutely so. Will she understand the little differences in a few mm different top tube or a degree more or less slack head tube? Nope. And it's not like we didn't understand bike geometry and bike fit back then. It's not like biomechanics was suddenly discovered in 2018. I would say that if you were considering a 1996 Trek or GT full suspension that perhaps it would be best to steer clear. But that's not the case here. Everything you're considering is well developed and will work fine.