APRS for Beginners (was Yaesu FT-1XDR)

gahi

Trail Ready
Those are good, but the deal killer for me is the lack of two way messaging. You can make a similar setup with the TT4 but it will be around $380.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Those tnc's both look like good options Dave, and possibly far cheaper then the tinytracks setup. Do you have any experience with either of them?
Actually yes, I have a Argent T3-301, which is a Tracker3 built into a little 5 watt data radio and a TNC-X. I also have a Tinytrak 4 and a Mobilinkd TNC3. If you find yourself over in Grand Junction let me know and I can be an APRS Vanna White.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Those are good, but the deal killer for me is the lack of two way messaging. You can make a similar setup with the TT4 but it will be around $380.
Lack of true 2-way is real issue. Honestly the Mobilinkd + whatever handheld or mobile you might have is the easiest option if you have a device already. I'm not the biggest fan of Mobilinkd TNCs for a few reasons and prefer the Byonics or Argent Data TNCs a bit more but the size and integrated Bluetooth of the Mobilinkd is hard to improve upon.

You can get a Bluetooth dongle from Byonics and it works great (I'm actually using one with my T3-301) but isn't enclosed AFAIK (mine is wrapped in a static bag and electrical tape, very ugly).

TNC-X has an add-on board for Bluetooth but the device itself is more suited for a home station rather than mobile. It could be used mobile but the box, cables, finding power are not ideal.

Ultimately running a USB power cable to a Mobilinkd is necessary but the built-in battery lasts a while and it does the job, so hard to beat all things considered.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Since you are starting to think about it @rover67, this is the RF (Maxon/Midland SD125V2) and modem (Tinytrak4) end of my current mobile APRS station. The 'Y' cable on the TT4 splits serial ports A (to the GPS, currently a Garmin 18x) and B (an RS232-Bluetooth adapter).

In this configuration the station (shows up as -7 SSID) just beacons positions automatically. I have a phone and APRSdroid that I can pair to be a full capability station (then it becomes -9 SSID).

IMG_2493_mid.jpg

Last edited: