Advice or a possible Press

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
The dilemma.

I have a fully disassembled mini transfer case sitting on my bench.

The last step is to remove the main shaft, which, according to Marlin and others, should be accomplished with a dead blow hammer, carefully and gently.

As you've guessed, no.

As is typical with all things old, this baby isn't budging with a 4lb sledge.

The issue is that the bearing that surrounds said main shaft is stuck nicely, as it likely should be, and that must come out with the main shaft, or so I'm lead to believe.

Any tricks or tips? I don't need the bearing any more, perhaps a long pipe against the bearing to drive it out?

And, if not, anyone in North denver/Louisville/Lafayette have a press?

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
I have Kevin's press at my house in the foothills of boulder if you do not find anything else closer to you. Have you tried a little heat on the case to see it the expansion of the aluminum will release the bearing? Home phone is 303-665-1101

10 ton press in louisville just pm me your number

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
12 ton in aurora.

I don't remember ever having to use a press to take a t-case apart. You might be missing a bearing retainer or snap ring somewhere.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Thats what i thought, missing a bearing retainer. But, I've gone round and round the thing, and don't see anything missing. Also gone back over the directions about 5 times, and I didn't miss any steps.

For those who have presses, do you also have pipes, or other hollow impliments to press over about an 11 inch shaft? I may just bring it up and be done with it, as I also need to press off the 2.28 gear, and i have a clamshell for it.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
20 ton (I win!) here in NW Denver near Sloan Lake. Be glad to help if I can.
Steve

Thats what i thought, missing a bearing retainer. But, I've gone round and round the thing, and don't see anything missing. Also gone back over the directions about 5 times, and I didn't miss any steps.

For those who have presses, do you also have pipes, or other hollow impliments to press over about an 11 inch shaft? I may just bring it up and be done with it, as I also need to press off the 2.28 gear, and i have a clamshell for it.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Going over to Robbies tonight unless something changes.

Thank you to all who offered!!!

Hes just closest to me.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
All better.

I owe a HUGE thanks to Robbie for graciously freezing his tail off helping me do this, while missing dinner with the family.

Thank you so much sir, I owe you huge. Next NSTBC that we are both at, your meal is on me.

:risingsun

I spent the rest of the evening cleaning the VERY few parts I actually needed from this mess. Struck me as a little funny, but then again, I'd just spent 3 hours around a tub of parts cleaner.

Parts you need

IMG_2703.jpg

Parts you don't

IMG_2704.jpg

Again, thank you Robbie.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Oh, and UB's press is impressive to say the least. I'm fairly sure he wins.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Yes I did miss a little family time, but in some ways this is more fun. This looks like a fun project and well thought out.
I have a suit(cold weather suit, not a tux) and did not freeze, but I was wondering if you brought enough cloths. Maybe next time it will be inside a comfortable enclosed area that is heated.
UB press makes short work of stuff, When he wants it back I will just have to invest in something similar.
Good luck with the rest of the project AxleIke.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
The only thing that was cold was my hands, and I haven't figured out a way to work with small parts and wear heavy gloves yet. I think my attire was decieving. I was wearing a long john shirt, a long sleeved shirt, and a sweatshirt, and then my down coat, as well as wool socks, and long john pants under my carharts. I was nice and warm, excepting the old hands.

Thanks again!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Hey Isaac, save that output shaft. Not often, but it is a failure point.
Depending on condition, the input bearing is not terribly expensive to replace at this point and can save some heartache later.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Bill. I will look at that bearing, and save the shaft.

What about the other bearing? I'm nervous about both, but is the other one only used in low range, or do they both spin regardless?

The case wasn't in the best of shape. Its all clean now, but it looks like it saw some outside time. The internals are all good, but those two outter bearing were full of old grease and dirt. I've cleaned them REALLY well, but perhaps a replacement is in order.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
They both spin full time. Only the output speeds change depending on whether the straight-through mesh is engaged, or the low range mesh, to the shaft.
Cheap insurance to replace them! Especially since the dirt problem you describe.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
WHEW. 200 bucks to get em both. Yikes. Gonna have to look at them real hard. We'll see.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Non-Toyota, but same brand, sourced through alternate suppliers. NSK/Koyo, as long as it says that, you are happy.