9th Annual Father's Day Run

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
The trouble with the first obstacle is people try to go as far right as they can to make it easier. The obstacle it self isn't all that tough at all! Shoot the center or slightly left of center and sit back and enjoy the ride!
I watched a CJ Springover flop on that very line! He had those funny extendo shackles on four corners though, that had a lot to do with it.

Sounds like that is history now, though!

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
I hate that first obstacle, I usually skip it. It's not that hard, but it is hard to see all the erosion damage from folks getting hung up on it. And there is some exposure.

When the sammi flopped, the worst part was when it kept sliding. I had mental pictures of it catching something and starting a tumble down the hill.

Your not worried about the Chili getting a few scratches are ya?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You bet.

Bwahaha...

J/K, you'll be fine with careful route selection.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Does anyone have a seat I might be able to ride in for this one?
If my family bags on me (for Father's Day? SURELY I can get them wheeling for THAT one... ?) you will be more than welcome to ride along.

I'd bet you can assume an open seat will be available!

I am just starting to build the 100 and I thought this might be a good run to try her out on. Plus I could bring the whole family, being Fathers day and all. Please let me know if you think this would be a bad idea and I will bring the 40. I would hate to jack up the 100 the first time out.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
You'll be okay with careful spotting. We took a stock 1987 pick up up there with no damage, open open. Just took a bunch of stacking. With the rear locker, you wouldn't need stacking so much.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I am just starting to build the 100 and I thought this might be a good run to try her out on. Plus I could bring the whole family, being Fathers day and all. Please let me know if you think this would be a bad idea and I will bring the 40. I would hate to jack up the 100 the first time out.

It's up to you - I believe a 100 will make it through the trail, can't speak to potential body damage. There are some sections that are tough and will be rocks on steel on the underside, even with a lift a 33s. I've done this trail in a 40 on 31s and open diffs with stock suspension and stock 3 speed gears. I later learned I wasn't supposed to be able to - good driving is essential. Over the last couple years I've learned to spot 100s - they're different than 80s and need to take different lines! Just like the difference between shorty 40s and draggin' wagon 60s, 100s are wider than 80s and are well, different.

I haven't pre-run this trail this year - normally Father's Day is about when the snow drifts clear enough to make it passable at the top. It changes from year to year. Last year the rocky hill climb about 2/3 the way up was much tougher than years past, but the Rock Garden was easier. After the Rock Garden, it is still tough and we had some folks who had some issues.

So there you have it - it's up to you. I think a 100 will make it, but good driving is important. We'll spot you through the tough sections.

PPFJ60

I would like to make this run with Rising Sun. I am with Colorado Land Cruisers. I live in Divide and will take hwy 67 to 285 to 470 to 70. I am not sure where the meeting location is so any directions from 470 and 70 would be appreciated.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I would like to make this run with Rising Sun. I am with Colorado Land Cruisers. I live in Divide and will take hwy 67 to 285 to 470 to 70. I am not sure where the meeting location is so any directions from 470 and 70 would be appreciated.

Cool, welcome!

Off 470, follow 70 West up the hill to the Evergreen Parkway Exit. It will be the third or fourth exit after getting on 70 from 470. The exit ramp curves to the left down a hill. At the stop light at the bottom, go left and the McD's is on the left.

And who are you and what do you drive? ;)

:thumb:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Cool, welcome!

Off 470, follow 70 West up the hill to the Evergreen Parkway Exit. It will be the third or fourth exit after getting on 70 from 470. The exit ramp curves to the left down a hill. At the stop light at the bottom, go left and the McD's is on the left.

And who are you and what do you drive? ;)

:thumb:

What Martin said...and it's exit 252 on I-70

PPFJ60

I drive an SOA FJ60 that I have been working on for the past 3 years. Attended CM08 which was my first trip to Moab. I have put thousands of miles of trail riding on my Polaris 500 Sportsman ATV since 1996 including running into the Colorado Landcruisers club on the trails. I started running trails in the FJ60 while making modifications and then ran into the Colorado Landcruisers again on the trails and decided to join last December.

Here is a picture of my rig on Kane Creek in Moab.

Attachments

• Rim333.jpg
    Rim333.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 183

rover67

Rising Sun Member
90% sure i'll make it, whatever that means. If so I'll have an empty seat :)

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Looks like the trail just opened last weekend with some sold snow hanging around the top still. Looks like good fun. http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=125020

My friend Dan will be riding shotgun with my little girls in the back.

I'm glad were getting an early start. I would expect many groups behind us. I think Kevin's suggestion of airing down in an open parking lot in Downieville to be preferred to the small trailhead.