• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

9th Annual Father's Day Run

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Bring your father! Bring your kids! Let your kids drive =-O

Yes, my son is coming this year and he may drive us - yikes!

I will be leading our ninth annual Father's Day trail ride on Spring Creek Trail on Sunday June 15th. The trail is moderate to difficult. It used to do-able in a stocker with a good driver, but in recent years has become more difficult for a stocker, so 33s and a rear locker are recommended. With a small group, this is a half day trail. This run has become very popular and will probably take longer. As always, the amount of time will depend on our group size, trail traffic and (hopefully not) breakage or mechanical issues. Tools and spares are recommended. We will be in cell phone coverage most of the way, and within hiking distance of civilization.

We will meet at the McDonalds at the El Rancho (Evergreen Parkway) exit of I-70 at 8:00AM and depart at 8:30 AM. We used to start later, but an earlier start may help us avoid too much trail traffic. The trailhead is off the Downieville exit of I-70. We will start on CB channel 4, but if we get stepped on by too many others we will switch to channel 5. Those coming from the west feel free to join up with us as we breeze through Downieville.

The trail starts near Downieville, and ends up either at I-70 in Georgetown or on CO-103 near Chicago Creek, depending on the route out we choose to take. The trail gets progressively more difficult as we go up until we reach the rock garden. The "big obstacle" is the rock garden near the top. There is sort of a winding bypass, but it too is difficult, and has become more so in recent years. There are several interesting obstacles before that, including a steep shelf that might remind you of Moab, some whoop dee doos right after that, a hill where we had a rollover a few years ago, but has a bypass, another dirt hill with no bypass, a difficult rocky hill after a sharp left with no bypass, and then the rock garden. After the rock garden the trail is still difficult until we reach the meadow at the top. After the meadow, it is an easy Subaru-grade drive out on dirt forest roads to either I-70 or CO-103.

Traffic back to Denver has been an issue the last several years, with stop and go on I-70. Last year we discovered how to take the frontage roads all the way from Georgetown to Idaho Springs, where the traffic generally thins out. We will play it by ear (or eyes) and see what route we take home. If we drop down into Georgetown, you can see whether I-70 is clogged with traffic from the switchbacks high above. We figured out a route on the bypass roads last year and can get all the way from Georgetown to Idaho Springs on the side routes.

There were links to reports from previous runs from the old forum, I'll see what I can do to provide some visuals of what to expect. Bring lunch, water (lots), your father, kids, your camera and permagrin. This is always a fun trail and good time.

Links to the last two years from this forum:

2006 7th annual

Happy cruisin'!

Attachments

• spring7.jpg
    spring7.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 412

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Bring lunch, water (lots), your father, kids, your camera and permagrin.

I got some of that permagrin on me at Spring Creek back in 2001, and it still hasn't washed out. It happens every time. I really should know better by now.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
If you son JJ is coming I may have to join this year. My dad and brother don't like to spend fathers day on Spring Creek. But, perhaps I will step out of the box and bring my kids and Mom (to watch the kids and keep them fed and watered). I'll work on it.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
In.
Who knows, perhaps Forrest will drive the Chili through the Trees?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
If you son JJ is coming I may have to join this year. My dad and brother don't like to spend fathers day on Spring Creek. But, perhaps I will step out of the box and bring my kids and Mom (to watch the kids and keep them fed and watered). I'll work on it.

That would be awesome, Scott! You and I did the very first "annual" run and each time you do this run with me your rig is more and more capable. I'm sure your kids and Mom will love it!

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
THERE'S THAT TREE! If I could only cut down one tree in the whole forest it would be that tree! Look forward to doing Spring Creek, it's only a short drive from the house too.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Well my wife and relatives will be out of town so I'm considering taking my little girls myself. It would be the first real wheelin' trip with them, but I should be able to handle it. It's time to start anyway. I may have to skip the first obstacle at the bottom, I know they would freak out on that one.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'd like to make it, but we'll be leaving for Rubithon the next day.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'd like to make it, but we'll be leaving for Rubithon the next day.

i just realized that too... maybe we could still find a way to do part of it, though. Who knows we may have new mods to test out.. :D

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Huh - Wow you guys are going to have a great time at the Rubicon. Wish i could go. Some day soon for me I hope...

You could tackle the bottom first obstacle to get mentally prepared. That would be a nice warm up. It's nice and steep and very easy to get into trouble on.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I hate that first obstacle, I usually skip it. It's not that hard, but it is hard to see all the erosion damage from folks getting hung up on it. And there is some exposure.

When the sammi flopped, the worst part was when it kept sliding. I had mental pictures of it catching something and starting a tumble down the hill.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I hate that first obstacle, I usually skip it. It's not that hard, but it is hard to see all the erosion damage from folks getting hung up on it. And there is some exposure.

When the sammi flopped, the worst part was when it kept sliding. I had mental pictures of it catching something and starting a tumble down the hill.

The trouble with the first obstacle is people try to go as far right as they can to make it easier. The obstacle it self isn't all that tough at all! Shoot the center or slightly left of center and sit back and enjoy the ride!

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
I've been up it several times, but only place I've ever got any damage to the rig.....oh well. Might give it a go again, sometimes it seems easy and other times difficult......

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'm supposed to be in Utah that weekend, but I have a potential conflict so if things don't work out for that trip, I'd like to come along on this run.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I've been up it several times, but only place I've ever got any damage to the rig.....oh well. Might give it a go again, sometimes it seems easy and other times difficult......

The only time I had issue with that first obstacle was in my 80 right after I went to 35's and hadn't regeared yet. I thought I was going to have to roll back down it as I almost ran out of power to climb it. Engine was at the edge of overcoming the torque converter lock up. Of course now that not an issue in the slightest but that scared the bageebers out of me!

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
We're out this year, headed to Minnesota. Have fun.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I may be in for this, we'll see.

FWIW, the first obstacle is different. They've removed the big rock and the stump, and smoothed it out a bit. It isn't very tippy at all on the far right.

I've done it both ways, and it feels much easier now.