• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

97 LX450 - Failed Emissions, No CEL

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
97 FZJ80
167,xxx miles

Here is the list of new parts within the last 50-3000 miles:

plugs
wires
cap
rotor
air filter
fuel filter
vsv
egr solenoid
egr temp sensor
vsv port cleaned out

Took it in today, expecting to pass, and BARELY failed on the carbon monoxide (CO). Needed gas, so I threw in a can of seafoam and 6 gallons of gas (the gas light was on).

Ideas on what I can check next?

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Check your timing. Even if it is "right" you may need to adjust it to get it to pass and then set it back.

Also, what size tires are you running? Not saying you wont be able to pass on larger tires but it does help the engine if it doesnt have to work so hard when turning smaller meats.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
on 35s. I don't have a timing light, so maybe I just advance it a little?

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
on 35s. I don't have a timing light, so maybe I just advance it a little?

You have to make sure your at 3 degrees BTDC. If your advanced even a little bit it could kick your CO's up.

Not sure what side of town your on but I have a timing light and a set of rollers if needed?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
You have to make sure your at 3 degrees BTDC. If your advanced even a little bit it could kick your CO's up.

Not sure what side of town your on but I have a timing light and a set of rollers if needed?

I’m a little north of downtown, 25 and 76 area.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’m a little north of downtown, 25 and 76 area.
I'm in Thornton, 120th and Colorado. Your more than welcome to use both if you need to.?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Awesome. I'll hit you up maybe Sunday. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :gaah::gaah::gaah::scold::scold::scold:

Did you read all the threads here? 1/2 tank fresh gas, 2 cans heet, oil change, emisions gas cap, dacono. Why :dunno: must everyone make this so stinking complicated. :comp:

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
oil was just changed, gas cap tested fine, wtf is heet and dacono?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
heet? Gas line antifreeze? Dacono the town?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
My snarky reply was going to be:
Screenshot_2020-06-16 97 LX450 - Failed Emissions, No CEL.png

But, you replied with correct answer.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yes some people have luck throwing two bottles of heet in there with very little gas and going to the emissions place up in dacono

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Or, run the tank low and put in 2-3 gallons of E-85 gasoline - lots of alcohol (oxygenates) in that. Then after the e-test, fill it up with non-Ethanol gasoline. This is a typical way to get marginally close vehicle to pass emissions.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
I've always added a bottle of heat, fill will Premium and run it hard at highways speeds then pull into the testing facility nice and warmed up...passed the last 3 times, 4th time this fall, fingers crossed.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Right now you have to wait at least 20 minutes to get into the place since half of them are closed. Did they even put your truck on the rollers? They didn't drive my Corolla or hook it up or anything when I took it on Monday.

satchel

Rising Sun Member
Got mine done (96 LX) a few months ago and they kept rejecting me before ever getting to the rollers cause the system ready status wasn't showing as on. Didn't have any check engine lights, but that system ready wasn't going on. Was told to take it for a high speed ride to another station and see if it would show ready then. Still didn't, so I found the instructions on how to get the 80 into system ready mode, going different speeds for certain times, and after it was complete it threw a check engine light. I basically needed new cats.

Once I got those replaced, and was able to do the specific drive to get it into system ready, no check engine light.

Took it back to emissions, they hooked the scanner up and chatted for like 7 mins inside my truck. Then drove it right past the rollers once more without any testing. But when I got to the service tech, she said it passed fine. This was at the Dacono station.

Actually kinda bummed I didn't get a report of how it did. Just finished an engine rebuild and all that junk.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Dacono does not take tires over 34" and I am on 35s, so it looks like that is out. I reset the ECU, and it immediately felt like it was running better. I am pretty sure that after the fuel filter change, it was running rich, which is why I failed on the carbon monoxide side. I think the ECU was compensating for having less fuel pressure due to an old clogged filter. I also ordered a new upstream O2 sensor, figured it couldn't hurt to replace it anyhow, it should be here today. I'll spin it around on the weekend for a couple hundred miles, try getting the truck retested on Monday, and we will go from there.