• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

84 FJ60 new heart

RDub

I’m of the same mind. However, the Finance Minister currently has different priorities, like buying furniture. Ugh.

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Just picked up the 2F from Gunn today. Plan to start the reassembly on Monday but thought I would post up a few pics of the bright and shiny parts plus the balance sheet and invoice for a few of you who have been interested in costs.

Attachments

• balnce sheet.jpg
    balnce sheet.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 64
  • final bill.jpg
    final bill.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 56
  • fresh block.jpg
    fresh block.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 44
  • fresh crank.jpg
    fresh crank.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 35
  • fresh head.jpg
    fresh head.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 35

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
So the whole enchilada was $2874 and it looks like the head work was $932 of that?

Does that cost include the pistons, rings, etc, or is some of that cost not represented on the invoice? I might be making this move with Gunn very soon, but I already have a head they rebuilt sitting on a shelf. Trying to wrap my arms around the all-in on this.

Edit to add: this is zero assembly, correct?

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Correct Jim, no assembly other than installing the new pistons on the rods as they need to do this to balance the rotating assembly. I have the costs listed on the first page of this thread for the pistons, rings, cam and lifters. I also purchased the main bearings for $85 as Gunn did not have a good outlet for them. They provided the cam bearings, gasket set and oil pump. I also had my flywheel done for $80 by them as well as had them clean up the bell Housing for $60 so these may be items you don't need done. I was very pleased with the communication from them and at the end of the day they had it for 6 weeks which is not a bad turn around.

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
all cleaned and painted ready to start assembly.

Attachments

• painted engine 2.jpg
    painted engine 2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 27
  • painted enginne 1.jpg
    painted enginne 1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 27
  • ready for paint.jpg
    ready for paint.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 23

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Just a quick update of the progress on the 2F today.

Attachments

• RB 2.jpg
    RB 2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 26
  • RB 3.jpg
    RB 3.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 28
  • RB 4.jpg
    RB 4.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 27
  • rebuild 1.jpg
    rebuild 1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 31

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Have the 2F ready to drop back in the truck. Should get it in and the transmission and transfer case attached to it tomorrow. Hope to fire it up no later than mid next week so I have some time to break it in before CM.

Attachments

• ready for install.jpg
    ready for install.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 27

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Have the 2F ready to drop back in the truck. Should get it in and the transmission and transfer case attached to it tomorrow. Hope to fire it up no later than mid next week so I have some time to break it in before CM.
Good on ya, mate.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Lookin' great!!!! Love new motor builds!

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Got the engine, trans and transfer case nested back in the 60 today. New clutch, pressure plate and all new mounts. Now just need to hook everything back up and cross my fingers that it breathes back to life.

Attachments

• back home 1.jpg
    back home 1.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 23
  • back home 2.jpg
    back home 2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 25

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Unfortunately I live in a county where I have to get emissions on the truck. I did a 350 conversion on my last 60 series after they rolled back the requirement and when they brought it back I was not able to get it registered because of the swap. I ended up selling the truck to someone outside of the clean air area. Not interested in running that risk again.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I have kept my 60 2F totally stock and smog compliant in case I ever get back out there or sell it to someone who needs it. Lately though I've been considering doing a full desmog. I had the chance to drive one that was desmogged and it was eye opening.

Really enjoying your build, keep up the good work!

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I have kept my 60 2F totally stock and smog compliant in case I ever get back out there or sell it to someone who needs it. Lately though I've been considering doing a full desmog. I had the chance to drive one that was desmogged and it was eye opening.

Really enjoying your build, keep up the good work!
What was eye opening about it? Just curious.

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Got the engine fired up today and did the 20 minute break in on the new cam. Just need to bleed brakes and clutch and she is ready for the maiden voyage. I have to say it has never ran so smooth.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Awesome!!!! Congratulations!

wesintl

RS Moderator
Looks good. I dropped of a head last week at gunn. May be doing more than just the head. i'll find out.

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
I put about 70 miles on the rebuilt 60 this morning and everything worked well. It definitely has much better acceleration and can hold 4th gear on moderate climbs in the foothills. It can keep up with traffic even with the 35's and stock gearing. Can't be happier with the machine work that Gunn provided. I called them this afternoon to let them know the engine was back to life and working well. I had them shave .050 off the head and they decked the block another .007 to ge a clean surface for the gasket. As of now it seems to have no issues running on 85 octane but I will see once I get some miles on ity and dial in the tune. Now just need to get a good break in and get her ready for CM. Can't wait to get the old girl back on the trails.

Attachments

• completed.jpg
    completed.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 18

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I put about 70 miles on the rebuilt 60 this morning and everything worked well. It definitely has much better acceleration and can hold 4th gear on moderate climbs in the foothills. It can keep up with traffic even with the 35's and stock gearing. Can't be happier with the machine work that Gunn provided. I called them this afternoon to let them know the engine was back to life and working well. I had them shave .050 off the head and they decked the block another .007 to ge a clean surface for the gasket. As of now it seems to have no issues running on 85 octane but I will see once I get some miles on ity and dial in the tune. Now just need to get a good break in and get her ready for CM. Can't wait to get the old girl back on the trails.
Maybe I missed it but did you change out the 3.71 gears for something else?