80 rattle can touch-up

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I had been looking for a shop to custom match paint for more plastic-related reasons, and ran across this place in Iowa. Dasco Coatings http://www.dascocoatings.com/

Reminded me of how I'd been wanting to touch up my fender flares.. I have dragged them across several places in the western US and they are beginning to show it, and I don't want to remove them and don't like the black bedliner look, so re-painting in my stock color seemed like the last alternative.

To order I called Dasco Coatings then faxed over my insurance card, which was the easiest way to get them my year, make, model, and VIN which contains your paint code. $25 and 2 days later I had a custom can of spray paint... a very custom looking steel gray color. :mad:

I called them back and they admitted complete fault, shipped me a replacement right away, in the correct color. 2 days later I had this:

Attachments

• 80_paint.jpg
    80_paint.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 518

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Here are the before pics.. the feather-like scratches near the door are from coming down the "alley section" of Gillespie Gulch, back when it was pretty dug out before they bulldozed it. That may have been a Spooky Night Run, come to think of it.. :rolleyes: the big gash is actually from this year :eek: when I preran this coming year's Spooky Night Run.. albeit in the day, and with a lot of snow. I was pressed up against a tree pretty bad, it's the same day I got most of those scratches near the marker lens.

Attachments

• 80_paint_before1.jpg
    80_paint_before1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 534
  • 80_paint_before2.jpg
    80_paint_before2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 528

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
For prep I used a piece of emery paper to rough up all of the burrs from the gashes, and take down the high points of most of the scratches. I was worried about digging too deep, in hindsight I could have probably kept going.. but once done with that I switched to some steel wool to fine tune it a little, but I don't think that did much.

I then doused it with denatured alcohol, then masked it off and put up some paper. we then got our painting suits on and started spraying..

Attachments

• 80_paint_before4.jpg
    80_paint_before4.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 539
  • 80_paint_before5.jpg
    80_paint_before5.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
As I finished up the masking, the wind started blowing really well... :rant: and wasn't showing many signs of stopping. So I sprayed it anyway between blasts.. doing the best I could... I know this won't be show quality anyway so what the heck.

I am generally happy with how it came out. It's pretty glossy where I allowed the paint to pool up a little, and more of a rough/matte finish where I just sprayed it without as much dwell. In the garage it'd be easier to control that, I think I could do a little better if I do this again. But overall I think it's a good improvement, I'll probably order a couple more cans.

Attachments

• 80_paint_after1.jpg
    80_paint_after1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 528
  • 80_paint_after2.jpg
    80_paint_after2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 533
  • 80_paint_after3.jpg
    80_paint_after3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 525
  • 80_paint_after4.jpg
    80_paint_after4.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Looks good Tim. I had the Sherwin Williams Automotive shop in Boulder (the one on Pearl) mix me up some cans of 1A6 (Moonglow Pearl). 2 cans for $25.

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
Some wet sanding with 600-800 grit wet type paper and several coats of a compatable clear coat, sanding lightly between coats should give you an OEM look even on a 14 y/o truck. Try it...its amazing...the finish you can get from a couple of well executed rattle cans :lmao:!

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Nice work. I believe I'll be giving them a call. Thanks for the info

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I'll probably order a couple more cans.

Does the price go down if you order greater quantity? My hood and roof could benefit....

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Does the price go down if you order greater quantity? My hood and roof could benefit....

let's see if Sherwin Williams will cut us a deal.. I'm good for at least two more cans, maybe more if I want to tackle roof I forgot about that, man my roof is in bad shape actually. I'm really tempted to hit that whole fender now with the gas cap, after looking at these pictures some more.

Dave what kind of clear coat would you recommend?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I would go for some cans for my 80 as well. Fender flare still shows signs of rock lovin' from Green Day at BFE.

pmccumber

Hard Core 4+
Now this is a useful thread ... I had no idea how to dress when painting.

It's nice to see you giving some love to your old LC.

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
let's see if Sherwin Williams will cut us a deal.. I'm good for at least two more cans, maybe more if I want to tackle roof I forgot about that, man my roof is in bad shape actually. I'm really tempted to hit that whole fender now with the gas cap, after looking at these pictures some more.

Just ask them at SW for something compatable with the paint they've already supplied you.

Good to know were to get touch-up paint. I'm going to need some Antique Sage Pearl (1B2) cause someone backed into Idelle at work last week and put a large dent in the right side of the tailgate.

coax

Hard Core 4+
Great timing on this thread, I need to pick up some paint for the roof to fix the roof rack rust spots.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Interested in some cans as well possibly...Black, and Antique Sage

Gavin's painting outfit is killer :cool: :thumb:

I'm interested as well Tim. I need to touch up the fender flare and a large spot on my hood. You and I have the same color 80 so let me know if you order more and you can times the green oder by 2. Also I need to talk to you about filling that empty space in my dash...

Nick

Dr. Schlegs

Hard Core 4+
I would like some Black as well if we can get a group price.

coax

Hard Core 4+
I'll be going by the SW in boulder tomorrow to pick up my cans, I can at least ask if they do group type discounts and what the volume would have to be.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'll be going by the SW in boulder tomorrow to pick up my cans, I can at least ask if they do group type discounts and what the volume would have to be.

That would be awesome man, see what 10-12 cans of the 6M1 Emerald Green Pearl would run.. I may be able to swing up there on Saturday, could figure out how to get everyone else their cans after that. :thumb:

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
i could use a few cans for my flares as well!
My flares have been scratched since the day i brought her home... PO abuse in a parking garage...