• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

40's Only Run Sunday August 3

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
This could really backfire when we have half a dozen 40's fuel starving halfway up Red Elephant hill and no fuel injected rigs to haul us up. :hill:

It will be an adventure 4 sure. :D

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I'm going to try to make it Sunday. I'll leave my (fuel injected) ride in Downeyville. Who's got an open seat?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'm going to try to make it Sunday. I'll leave my (fuel injected) ride in Downeyville. Who's got an open seat?

I thought you and Nakman were driving Jeff's (Corsair23) 40 ? :)

If not I'll likely have a seat available too.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Kevin has been infected with Aussie slang... :thumb::eek::D

as long as he doesn't comeback eating vegamite sandwiches and put beets on his burgers and all that wierd aussi stuff :lmao:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
as long as he doesn't comeback eating vegamite sandwiches and put beets on his burgers and all that wierd aussi stuff :lmao:

Those common traits here will stay here! Unfortunately, my Cruiser addition (wife calls it an obsession) has definitely been bumped up a few notches as has my lust for 5 speed gear boxes behind turbo diesels. I think I might start to put together a plan to properly import a 78/79 series Trayback....I want one really bad! I just have no clue why we don't get Traybacks or TD's.......it's just mind boggling! :rolleyes::confused::confused: Any truck (including El Camino's) here that are heavier duty than 1/2 ton have the no rust aluminum (some steel) trayback. Many light duties have them to obviously because they hate rust here as much as I do! A 30+ MPG TD that has nearly the same HP as a 4.7 and more torque should be an option for us! Here in Sydney Cruisers are pretty scarce but it's also a huge, busy, sprawled out city. Go rural and every other vehicle is either a Cruiser, TD Hi-Lux (Tacos are still called Hi-Luix's here) or a Patrol (pickup or wagon).

I have only spotted 2 40's here (both were moving...no pix), 1 HJ-45 Trayback, and probably the only 55 here on the continent not rusted back to raw materials. 75, 78/79's, 80's and Patrols are the choice for serious "Bush" work. The younger set lift the older Hi-Luxs but not many are really set up "Bush" tough like we have in the states. LIft and oversize tire laws here put a damper on the majority of folks with modded trucks. 33's can get by without too much hassle but if they get a speeding ticket they have to put the small tyres back on and get the vehicle re-certified. Every one of the blokes I've talked with with Built trucks have a set of 35 or bigger tyres stashed in the "shed" for "Bush" use only.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
A 30+ MPG TD that has nearly the same HP as a 4.7 and more torque should be an option for us!
FWIW, we are supposedly getting the 4.5L V8 TDI 1VD-FTV that's currently in the 200 series and 78 series Cruisers in Australia (and maybe Europe?). I understand that it's 270 HP, 480 lb-ft. I think the Tundra gets it in 2009 or 2010. It would be nice if the Tacoma got the 3.0L 1KD-FTV that the Hilux and Prado gets now. It makes about 170 HP, 250 lb-ft, but there's a Toyota kit that bumps it to 190 HP and 315 lb-ft. That would be absolutely killer in Imelda.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I just have no clue why we don't get Traybacks or TD's.......it's just mind boggling!

According to BVB, there are several reasons for no diesel. One is the American market - 'mericans seems to love everything that has a "V" in front of the engine name. Second, and perhaps most important, is the ULSD mandate, which require significant technological differences from Toyota's existing diesel offerings. Last, they have spent the last several years ramping up their hybrid manufacturing capacity, and that is where they have invested most heavily.

I read somewhere that on the same day that GM introduced the Hummer H2, Toyota introduced the Prius.

On the no trayback thing, I'm pretty sure you can order a cab/chassis Taco and customize to suit.

A 30+ MPG TD that has nearly the same HP as a 4.7 and more torque should be an option for us! Here in Sydney Cruisers are pretty scarce but it's also a huge, busy, sprawled out city. Go rural and every other vehicle is either a Cruiser, TD Hi-Lux (Tacos are still called Hi-Luix's here) or a Patrol (pickup or wagon).
Herb Peyerl of Calgary did a very nice 1HZ swap into an 80, with a home made turbo and an H151 5 speed. Sweet ride, but a LOT of work.

I have only spotted 2 40's here (both were moving...no pix), 1 HJ-45 Trayback, and probably the only 55 here on the continent not rusted back to raw materials. 75, 78/79's, 80's and Patrols are the choice for serious "Bush" work. The younger set lift the older Hi-Luxs but not many are really set up "Bush" tough like we have in the states. LIft and oversize tire laws here put a damper on the majority of folks with modded trucks. 33's can get by without too much hassle but if they get a speeding ticket they have to put the small tyres back on and get the vehicle re-certified. Every one of the blokes I've talked with with Built trucks have a set of 35 or bigger tyres stashed in the "shed" for "Bush" use only.

I read somewhere that is the reason OMEs are only the lift they are - to accomodate (what is it, 50mm max?) lift laws.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
... I think I might start to put together a plan to properly import a 78/79 series Trayback....I want one really bad! ...

That's the rig I dream about getting ahold of here. Probably not old enough to be legally imported though.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Nope, not yet. But I'm with you two guys :thumb:

That's the rig I dream about getting ahold of here. Probably not old enough to be legally imported though.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I just wish i coulda landed a 1HD-T for the 60.. that'da been sweet.

next time you go over there you should load up a container.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I will probably not be able to make this run unless I get well really fast. Been sick in bed with a high fever all week. I'm major bummed :-(

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I will probably not be able to make this run unless I get well really fast. Been sick in bed with a high fever all week. I'm major bummed :-(

Martin,
Jerry called me from SLC (Larry Miller Meeting) and said he might have to bail tomorrow as the wife was obviously not sharing his enthusiasm of being cone then going wheeling a few hours after he gets home. Still a chance but it's waning.... :( :bowdown::Princess:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+

Martin,
Jerry called me from SLC (Larry Miller Meeting) and said he might have to bail tomorrow as the wife was obviously not sharing his enthusiasm of being cone then going wheeling a few hours after he gets home. Still a chance but it's waning.... :( :bowdown::Princess:

Sorry you guys won't be able to make it. There's still some good wheeling weather in the months to come so maybe we can all set up another run later in the fall maybe.

I'll be in Downieville at 8 tomorrow if anyone still wants to run this. :)

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Martin- We are 50/50 for the run. I am hoping we can do it... if we are there at 8am (which I am hoping to be) great, if not, don't wait for us.

Drew
(fingers crossed)

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Jerry is out which means I'm out. :( Since I plotted the time and the handbrake approval has been pre-arranged I'm header out still. I won't do the 40's only run as I have the wrong grill but I think I'm headed up to Jenny Creek to see what needs to be done and get some measurements so a mid week work day can be achieved. I'll be available via cell phone for a while then the 146 simplex and probably the 460 'peader (or maybe the 145) will be the only way to catch me. Have a stellar day folks! :thumb: :thumb: :bowdown::zilla: :bowdown::kevin: