• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

40's Only Run Sunday August 3

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
What a sweet trail. I am not going to make the run but I know you guys will have a blast.

These first few pics are of the ascent up the first big hill, which keeps going and going.

Then the Tippy Gully

And the damage to Martin's Paki-Top, it gets pretty tight is spots.

Thanks for pre-running this with me, Leif. Cool pics and video. And again, thanks for the tow. Sorry you won't be able to make the official run. :thumb:

huh.. a 40 with fuel issues on RE hill. BTDT. :D

Sounds like a story worth telling. :)

Yeah, it's pretty steep and I was pretty happy with my 40's performance on the way up. I couldn't get it to start after stopping at the top. I was certain it was the pinched fuel line causing the problem, but maybe it was a combination of no fuel/electrical gremlin. I just want to get it pinpointed before my next run.

Yea - maybe the 40's only run should be reserved for trails with names like "Flats" and "Mesa".:lmao:

Sucks about your top Martin. Any chance of a repair?

It's actually a fun trail, and last year the group agreed that 40's are worthy of a challenge. Kingston Peak was fun and scenic, but I decided that this year we would try something with at least a little pucker factor. ;)

The Pakistan top is already off for repairs. I got some extra material from Ehsan so it will be fine after some gluing and stitching. The part of the trail that I tore it on caught me off guard. After the climb, there's a nice rolling smooth section through some tight aspens and the trail gets narrow and suddenly off-camber. It tipped me right into a small clump of trees. I'll be more careful next time and point out the spot as we head up and If you're running no top, it shouldn't be a problem.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Yea - maybe the 40's only run should be reserved for trails with names like "Flats" and "Mesa".:lmao:

Sucks about your top Martin. Any chance of a repair?

That was uncalled for. It could happen to anyone.

No worries, it's the reason I wanted to pre-run this trail anyway. Make sure I know where the obstacles are and to determine if it will be too sketchy for stock rigs. Mission accomplished. :)

Maybe next year we'll do a "difficult" trail and we can get some of the built 40's out of hibernation. ;)

mtncrsr

Lifted
I would love to go on the 40's only run but I will be taking a group of guys from our church youth group backpacking that weekend. Nuts!!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Bummer Loren! Seems like a lot of folks have plans that weekend. Guess it will be a small group, or maybe I'll have to open it up to the Mini-truck hecklers. :bolt:

:D

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Or worse yet...80 series trucks! :eek:

:bolt:

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
tippy section - redux

so...I'm a little nervous about that tippy section after seeing that video...any words of encouragement to make me not so scared. :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

I got a little sideways on a run with Jim (SROR) last year and Max went through a similar scenario on a loose gravel sidehill.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
so...I'm a little nervous about that tippy section after seeing that video...any words of encouragement to make me not so scared. :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

I got a little sideways on a run with Jim (SROR) last year and Max went through a similar scenario on a loose gravel sidehill.

Yup, it's definitely tippy. The key is to approach it high on the DS and then keep rolling. There's a big round rock DS and loose sand PS. It's hard to approach it head on because there's a seriously steep climb and a 90 degree turn at the top. Then, as you roll down through the really loose stuff, there's another steep loose climb to get out of the ravine. Shortly after that are the soft-top-attacking aspens.

My rig is about as tippy as they come and I was fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it. We can always strap the side for peace of mind.

Or you can use Leif's method and floor it when you start sliding. :D

The funny thing is that you could drive an 80 through there while sleeping. 40's always make obstacles more fun. :thumb:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Just chatted with Jerry and he is planning on doing this run and I might even have to go with him in spite of the 8 track playing dinosaurs! I offered to haul spare steering knuckles, 4 speed tranny's and vinyl repair kits but there won't be enough room for anything besides a couple water bottles and a sandwich or two.... ;) :lmao::lmao: :bowdown::zilla: :hill:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+

Sean, come on bud, I will stand my fat butt on your drivers side and you will level right out. :D

Looks like fun and I am looking forward to it, thanks for the pre-run fellas!

Drew

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Any guess as to when we'll be off the trail. My wife tells me that we just got invited to someone's engagement party. :mad: I really don't want to go, so I may just bring Charlie in my 40 and skip it.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Just chatted with Jerry and he is planning on doing this run and I might even have to go with him in spite of the 8 track playing dinosaurs! I offered to haul spare steering knuckles, 4 speed tranny's and vinyl repair kits but there won't be enough room for anything besides a couple water bottles and a sandwich or two.... ;) :lmao::lmao: :bowdown::zilla: :hill:

:D :lmao:

Glad you can make it.

Any guess as to when we'll be off the trail. My wife tells me that we just got invited to someone's engagement party. :mad: I really don't want to go, so I may just bring Charlie in my 40 and skip it.

My guesstimate is that we'll be down to I-70 by 2 or 3 if we have no issues. ;)

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Seems like I just kept on rolling through the tippy section when I did it last summer, but then again I'm a low rider...:D

Everybody needs a LITTLE off-camber in their life ;)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Ive got to get my baby ready dang it...oh crap I forgot I dont drive stick yet!

Learning to drive stick on a 40 is usually cake. Do you have a floor mount or a column mount shifter?