• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

40's Only Run Sunday August 3

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I have a column shifter I believe...it's a three on the tree.

You sure do, and I shifted it! And shifting isn't so much the tricky part, in my experience when I taught my kids to drive on my FJ40 it was the clutch thing that gave them fits.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
So Jeff, since your AK trip is postponed, can we anticipate seeing you at the 40's only run this year? :thumb:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Are you pushing in the clutch pedal, so the clutch is no longer engaged, as you are rolling to a complete stop?

If you are not doing this, it will kill the engine.

If you are doing this, the clutch is not what is causing the stall. It could be as simple as an idle adjustment or a clogged fuel filter.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Or junk in the float bowl. That's what happened to me.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm not sure. It was the first driving lesson I had using a stick. I was fine shifting from one gear to the next, but most of the time when I came to a stop, the car would stall out and I would have to restart it.

Mind you, I wasn't in my FJ, I was practicing on my ex's subaru.

Push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor before you stop completely. You'll get the hang of it. :thumb:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
is the clutch the reason why I stall out when I come to a stop?

Most likely, yes. It takes some practice. I learned to drive on a 1950 Dodge Power Wagon (gigantic old-school pickup truck) and a 1946 Willys J**p. My Dad's philosophy was that if you can drive something like those, you can drive anything. I think he was right. That's why I taught both my kids to drive in an FJ40 :)

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Are you pushing in the clutch pedal, so the clutch is no longer engaged, as you are rolling to a complete stop?

If you are not doing this, it will kill the engine.

If you are doing this, the clutch is not what is causing the stall. It could be as simple as an idle adjustment or a clogged fuel filter.

Her clutch was operating normally when I was over there and worked on her rig. I think it just getting used to the whole clutch thing versus an automatic.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Need a ride

Does anyone have room for me and my six year old son? we would love to go?:eek: I'm happy to pay for fuel.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Jeff, I am planning on being there with my son, Charlie, who is turning 5 a few days later. You are welcome to ride with us.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Cool:thumb:

Thanks Matt; I'l PM you to work out some logistics.

Jeff, I am planning on being there with my son, Charlie, who is turning 5 a few days later. You are welcome to ride with us.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+

For those of you who want to run this trail but don't have a 40 series, I believe there's a group doing Bill Moore the following weekend as part of the RS Rally.

Also, there will probably be some seats (and jumpseats) available if anyone wants to ride along and see what it's like to wheel in an old rig.

I would like to keep this run 40's Only.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+

For those of you who want to run this trail but don't have a 40 series, I believe there's a group doing Bill Moore the following weekend as part of the RS Rally.

Also, there will probably be some seats (and jumpseats) available if anyone wants to ride along and see what it's like to wheel in an old rig.

Or buy a 40 series this week and come on out! :D :lmao:

Shorty

Bummer. I'm not gonna be able to make it. It was a lot of fun last year. Ya'll have fun and keep the rusty, er, shiny (?) side up.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+

Good on ya Mate!

Convert

Hard Core 4+

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Way to go Martin :thumb: