Cruise Moab 2024 Cruise Moab Pre-Run: March 15-17

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
WHAT?? The annual Cruise Moab pre-run is a chance to learn a little more about how to lead trails at Cruise Moab, and also get to run a bunch of trails in one weekend! And camp in the beauty of Springtime in Moab and chill around the campfire with an adult beverage and a bunch of cool people.

WHO?? ANYONE is welcome to join us for the weekend. You do not have to be registered for CM or be a Rising Sun member. This weekend is for anyone who wants to lead trails at Cruise Moab, or wants to help train others on trails they know well.

WHY? For fun! But also because we always have a few trails that are tough to find a leader, and the most common excuse is they do not know the specific trail and are not comfortable leading. This weekend gives you a chance to run some trails with an experienced leader of that trail, or if nobody knows it well, then we stumble through it together. :)

WHEN?? Match 15-17 but I will be out there a couple of days early (and maybe staying later...) we will have a large group campsite 30 minutes or so north of town that has cell phone access and access nearby to bathrooms. There is also plenty of hotels and airbnbs available.

This has been my favorite CM activity since my first pre-run around 15 years ago, I think...

Note we will be doing a LOT of driving this weekend. We want to get all trails covered that people want to run, so we might split up into 2 or 3 groups, depending on who wants to run what trails. So speak up on what you want to run!!

I am helping Dom this year get this trip planned and coordinated onsite. I think the camp site we had last year was pretty decent for an hq, nice and big and open but I still had cell service there, bathrooms not too far away, easy to find at night. etc.

Unfortunately we will not know the trails selected until that weekend, so we will not have an up to date list of trails we need leaders for, but @NotyourmomsWife will let us know some of the trails we always seem to need leaders for. But please post up what trails you would like to lead but would like to run it with some "experts" :) first and we can get a good schedule for what trails we will be running at the pre run and who can lead them.

I think my first CM pre-run was over 15 years ago and I still get excited for this trip!!

I will probably be there at least a couple of days early to grab a good campsite, scout out some trails, etc.

IN:
@timmbuck2
@NotyourmomsWife (and guest?)
Amanda Latz and boyfriend (WheelinGal from Moab)
@ferretlegger
@ChevyKeith
@hitchhiker
@levi
@zombie2hundo
@Max

MAYBE:
@crunchy.taco.supreme

Trails requested to be run:
Poison Spider (I have run it a ton but will be leading it this year so love to run it with a group)

Jax Trax (requested by @hitchhiker @crunchy.taco.supreme can also lead it

Porcupine Rim - anyone know it well enough to lead us? We always have a hard time filling this one and have an opening to lead it on Saturday right now....prob too snowy. I will run up there and check it out, I will be in Moab on Monday.

Hell's Revenge - I am gunning the night run and it has been awhile...

Last edited:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
ANYONE can come to the pre-run! I will post up more info in the first post, but this weekend is for ANYONE who wants to learn more about leading trails, especially at Cruise Moab. We of course want you to be a trail leader someday and this is a perfect place to start. Bill Burke's class is also highly recommended.

hitchhiker

Rising Sun Member
I’ll be there and would like to run Jax Trax at some point

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
FYI updated the first post with more info. Please feel free to post up your questions here, or shoot me a message.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Very good info!!!!

Live Webinar:
TRAIL LEADER TRAINING WITH
Kurt Williams & Jackson Philby
I4WDTA trainers and professional guides.

Tuesday, February 27 at 7:00 pm MST

Two of our most experienced & certified trail leaders are doing a live webinar on YouTube from the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake City. The webinar will provide an overview for our 2024 trail leader team, and all registrants are invited to listen in!

If this is your first Cruise Moab event or if you have ever considered leading a trail (at Cruise Moab or anywhere), make sure to tune in. You'll learn what to expect during a Cruise Moab trail run, and how we keep everything moving for maximum fun and safety. Make sure to stay tuned in until the end for a live Q & A session.

The webinar will cover the following topics (and more):
  • What makes a good trail leader/gunner
  • Leader Preparedness
  • Trail Etiquette + Safety
  • TREAD lightly
  • Protecting the crypto/bio soil crust in the Moab area
  • Spotting
  • Recovery
  • Using a Garmin InReach satellite communication device for emergency communication (provided to trail leaders by Cruise Moab)
Date: Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2024
Time: 7:00 pm Mountain Standard Time
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDpDJIWpgtE

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Bring more Wasatch guys, should we post something over there too??

Hmm...and Bookcliff Cruisers....

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Porcupine Rim - anyone know it well enough to lead us? We always have a hard time filling this one and we have an opening to lead it on Saturday right now....

levi

Rising Sun Member
That maybe is a definitely! Have to do a little catching up here to figure out what trail, etc. But will be in Moab!!

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Yup! Anyone who wants to lead trails someday at cruise moab. My first ever moab wheeling was at a prerun.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I need to review my emails and messages but a few Wasatch and Bookcliff folk are coming out as well! I will update the first post.

Any other additions? Or trails you would like to run?

zombie2hundo

Rising Sun Member
All the trails listed in first post look great. I plan on getting there Thursday afternoon. Getting my body mount chop done tomorrow and muffler relocation/resonator chop done the next day so I should be ready. Just let me know where to meet you Thursday. thanks

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Please send me a private message here if you plan on attending with your email and cell phone.

I will create a group text and email to keep everyone informed on where we are camping, where we are meeting each morning and what trails are being run etc. Some people may stay in town and others may want to camp elsewhere. I don't want anyone to miss out on anything! I will post up the campsite location once I get out there, I plan on going out this Sunday or Monday to get our campsite claimed and setup and do a few pre-pre runs. :)

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Please count me in Tim! I'd been wondering why the Prerrun planning thread was quiet until I found this thread.

Do we have a central camp spot chosen? Or choosing it as you have a chance to scout? 😄

I'd like to do Top of the World. Last year I felt the second half was significantly dug out than the years prior. Dome Plateau might also be a good trail to quickly run to feel out its state.

Most of all I'd like to feel out what my truck is like to wheel after lifting it.

If there's a chance I'm going to also take a peak on Sunday at the La Sal loop before driving back home. Last year there was far too much snow to do that section of the Kokopeli trail. I realize the snow might not be clear now, I just want to gage it. I'm not saying we make this part of the Prerrun list, but I'm throwing it out there if anyone is interested in seeing it on Sunday before leaving.

Allen

sunshine_and_jack

Rising Sun Member
Count me in! Not on the forum often at all so please feel free to message me 970-485-4227 or on fb Keela McCleneghan , should be there 13-19th.
ALSO! mild weather report, there is 20+ inches expected to hit on the 13th-15th this week up near keystone/dillon. Please be careful driving everyone! ❤️