2023 Annular Solar Eclipse Trip - October 13-15, 2023

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
An annular solar eclipse will cross the western US October 14, 2023.
interactive map: http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_page...36.06029&Lng=-107.96701&Elv=-1.0&Zoom=11&LC=1

I need to be in NM the 15th so I'll be scouting remote locations NW and SE of Albuquerque. These locations would allow for a 7-9 hour drive out Friday, view Saturday, return Sunday. All welcome.

The 2017 eclipse in WY was amazing! See one and get hooked. Yes, in 2024 we'll go to TX.

mulebarn

Rising Sun Member
Looks like I’ll actually be around. Count me in.

Sean Solo

Rising Sun Member
Wow. It goes right over Chaco Canyon. The eclipse would be epic to witness there. I bet they close the park down. It will be a mob scene if it is not closed. Of course the last one in Wyoming was a a mob scene in the middle of nowhere. Motel 6 rooms were going for $1000 a night and I think all the visitors broke the pluming at all the gas stations too.

1679585876036.png

wesintl

RS Moderator
Just note that an annular eclipse is NOT totality and probably won't generate as much interest as a total eclipse. The next total solar eclipse in the U.S. will be on April 8, 2024 as Daniel noted.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Wow. It goes right over Chaco Canyon. The eclipse would be epic to witness there. I bet they close the park down. It will be a mob scene if it is not closed. Of course the last one in Wyoming was a a mob scene in the middle of nowhere. Motel 6 rooms were going for $1000 a night and I think all the visitors broke the pluming at all the gas stations too.

The group I organized to WY near Castle Garden for the total eclipse was about 50 people. The first choice site a couple miles from the Gardens was mobbed. Usually sees one cow, three pronghorn, and sixteen rabbits on on average year.
As you say, Chaco probably will be mobbed. All around it is Navajo Land which requires a different approach to camping. So, closer to Albuquerque and proximity to I25 and parallel side roads (285, 84 and other smaller ones) came sharper into focus.
Utah will have great viewing. I have to be in southern NM the 15th so NM is my choice. Its also good since skies are generally clear. All you need is one cloud to turn an eclipse into a dark cloudy day.

It will be 78% in Denver vs 89% in the center of the path. Will that matter? The difference between total and even slightly partial in 2017 was stunning, so I'm willing to travel for Annularity. Annularity in the center of the path will be just under 5 minutes. Eye protection required the entire time.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
It works with our calendar - count us in!

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
I have been thinking about going back to Cleveland to see next year’s eclipse, it is going right over there next year. I have a friend who has a house on Lake Erie that would be really cool to see the eclipse from. The only problem is if the skies are clear or not. Never know in Cleveland.

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
I'm very interested, I was in Mid Nowhere KS. corn fields for the last one. I have a dear friend who lives in Alb. NM so this would be a great opportunity for us to meetup and go on adventure as we've done many together.

Attachments

• IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 96

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Opening day of 1st rifle. Bridger and I will have to enjoy from high up on a mountain. Enjoy the trip. Chaco would be cool. Maybe check out Bisti? Would offer an out of the world landscape.

While not NM, Comb Ridge/Wash appears to be in the path and close to your 15th destination @Inukshuk

Last edited:

lars

RS Moderator
Staff member
Put me down as interested. Flew up to Kearney Nebraska for the last full eclipse and it was awesome. Would love to see another.

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
I am the worst with dates. Looks like I'll be seeing the October eclipse from wherever Rebelle wants me to see it, haha. 🤓

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
While not NM, Comb Ridge/Wash appears to be in the path and close to your 15th destination @Inukshuk
I don't mean to derail Daniel's run and am considering changing plans to do that instead, if it ends up being an option.

But I was working on a plan for a while to get lost in southern Utah not too different than what I think you had in mind Corbet. So if someone wants to try Comb Ridge or spend some time on either end poking around generally over there say the word if you'd like a partner.

Should mention what I was planning is a few days of bikepacking (maybe backpack, I'm thinking that could get one away from crowds) but could be a 4WD only trip without much difference.

I have the umbral path as a GIS layer and can put it over typical base layers (USGS National Map, Google, OSM, ESRI public, Caltopo, etc) to work up a route if someone's got an interesting one in mind and you'd want to see how close to the center it might be.

2023eclipsefourcorners.png

Last edited:

SteveT

Rising Sun Member
If we might be chasing the sun in that part of the world and generating pre or post eclipse options, I’’ll throw out the idea of appending the RimRocker Trail and possibly the Alpine Loop on the way back to Denver and want to see if anyone else might be interested in those excursions. In addition to the eclipse, it will be a new moon for dark sky camping, and anticipated peak foliage.

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
As I now realize why I have a twin in @Inukshuk
https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/thr...pse-jk-aktually-its-an-annular-eclipse.34378/

I want to share an idea for the eclipse fashion statement of the year.

I have an old set of oxy goggles from an estate sale for $1, and replacing the old shade 5 lens with a Phillips Safety shade 14 lens.

20230808_182559.jpg

They'll make sweet shades! They'll be the next big thing after Vipers!

The literature I found, about using welding equipment for viewing eclipses, recommends shade 14 to protect your eyeballs. If I'm missing something about it, please let me know.

Allen