• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2009 Snow and Pizza Run Jan. 3rd

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Looks like a good time. Part two comes in two days.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I'd still love to join even though my vehicle doesn't want to!!! Does anyone need a co-pilot or a backseat shovel/winch bit#$??? This looks like too much fun to pass up. I live in Broomfield, but can meet anywhere b/w Denver and the trailhead. Thanks!!! Paul

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Based on Kevins' report it sounds like the lower half to the "poser"\"middle" parking lot. should be good fun for the group then the snow get's deep enough that people with 33's or smaller will get hung up\high centered. He also made a comment to me that the lesser rigs should chain up on the lower section. Probably to make it up the hill Gerdo was talking about to get to the middle parking lot. There are several hills actually.

My experience personally is that you either have mud tires with enough tread to really dig or you have something else (i.e. AT's or worn tires), in which case chains will help.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I've got no one going with me now so we can hook up. I'll PM you.

I'd still love to join even though my vehicle doesn't want to!!! Does anyone need a co-pilot or a backseat shovel/winch bit#$??? This looks like too much fun to pass up. I live in Broomfield, but can meet anywhere b/w Denver and the trailhead. Thanks!!! Paul

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'm in.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I have a full truck, wife and two Golden's or you could ride with me. I hope you find a ride.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Looks like I'm in, I'll try to get up a bit early if possible if we are going to try and break more trail before the main group, although I don't have a winch so maybe that's not the best idea :hill:

SO......It's 9pm and no posts as to how exciting the run was??

Hmm....wonder if you're all back in town yet :)

Hope you had a safe trip!!

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Skipped it this year. Skied with my kids instead.

D

Don G

It was a decent snow run for this time of year. A small group of big-tired vehicles made it through. The rest of us made it about a mile above the playground.

Someone asked about my pull-rope. It's a 1", 33,500# Super Yanker. It lets you snatch a stuck vehicle out by hitting the end of the rope at a run without any jerks or jars to either vehicle. Straps that claim to stretch are not even in the same league with this rope.

http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=425

My opinion is that the 7/8", 28,500# would be a better choice for my Taco, and the 1" better for heavily loaded FJs and Land Cruisers.

I've heard that the 19,000# versions can be broken by a too-energetic jerk even between Tacos.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Yea that roped is best thing going when you are trying to pull out a rig larger than yours - like an 80. Wow, it's exspensive (120.00) but the best strap for the job no doubt.

D

Don G

Yikes!, I got mine last year and paid $100 delivered! Maybe we should invest in Masterpull?