Yaesu rigs...

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
So how well supported is this D-Star system? The more I read about it, the more interested I become. Safe to assume you need to be connected to a repeater that supports it? Or is it as simple as just purchasing a rig with D-Star?

Internet connection sounds pretty cool. Price of hardware doesn't :rolleyes:

I had a look into the repeater infrastructure of D-Star in Colorado. There is a Full System in Brighton (2M, 70CM, 23CM DV, 23 CM DD). Also HRO has a proposal out to ham radio clubs to provide a full D-Star rack on a grant (see the CCARC link). I think the biggest issue is that iCom is the only manufacturer that is really embracing D-star. I think I'll cross D-star off the priority list for now.

http://www.arrl-al.org/D-STAR map_5_07.jpg

http://www.ccarc.net/

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I finally made a decision and just bought the TH-F6A from HC. $417 delivered with accessories.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Seriously, I would look around and see how much cheaper the VX-3 and VX-6 are before committing to the VX-7. IMO the VX-6 is the way to go. Just my $0.02.

Follow up:

Ham City pricing (they seem to have the best prices right now)

VX-3R - $167 (reg price $180)
VX-6R - $235 (reg price $255)
VX-7R - $276 (reg price $330)

So, for $40 you can get the VX-7R - worth it?? Dave, I tried to determine if software wise it is the same between the VX-6R and VX-7R. Hard to tell but the VX-7R software was cheaper :confused: - Is the $40 worth it for commonality with the group?

I only bought the VX-7r because I got one in mint condition for $180. I wouldn't have poped the coin for a new one.

You got some time, look out there and don't limit you view to Colorado. After all my new RTT came from Salt Lake City craiglist.

Just got done checking the entire US + Puerto Rico :eek:. I used Craigshelper.com to do this and searched on Yaesu.

I didn't find a single mobile rig (FT-7800 or FT-8800 anyway) listed for sale.

I found 3 HTs for sale (of the VX-3, VX-6, or VX-7 variety).

One in Maryland for $400 - USED :rolleyes:
One in Texas for $250 - NEW
One in Wisconsin for $200 - USED, damaged, and taken apart :eek:

eBay hasn't been any better. Seriously, used stuff is going for near new pricing (used FT-8800 just sold tonight for $301). I'm glad stuff is holding its value but seriously, I'd rather buy new with warranty from Ham City pricing than used for $50 less. Maybe shipping and taxes are a real killer???

I don't doubt that there will be bargains out there sooner or later but Romer and UB should be buying lottery tickets based on the super bargains they found recently :D

For the rest of us, the above may help knowing what is, and isn't, available out there right now.

On a side note...there is a 48 ft crank-up tower for sale for $100 in San Diego :D

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
For that price, I would also get the VX-7 over the VX-6. But $40 is still $40. Don't forget the VX-170, like Hulk mentioned in another thread. They are usually about $120 and have a lot of the same functionality on 2m that you'd need.

BTW, don't buy the Yaesu software for their HTs. There is freeware programming software out there. You need a cable (which I have, also Romer and I think UB, too). The cable is universal amongst all the Yaesu HT radios you are looking at. I have the RT Systems cable and a USB/serial port adapter. This adapter also works on the 8800 cable I got. At this point some one in the club has cables and SW for the 7800, 8800, VX-7 for sure. I'll look into the VX-3 and VX-6 software today, but the existing cables will work for those. There are also some Kenwood programming setups (at least one, Hants).