Winch Bumper

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So ever since I saw Jeff's writeup on making his own front bumper that's what I was hoping to do for myself. BUT - my current front bumper I think is nearing the end of its useful life, plus now that I got the 8274 I kinda need to mount it, like soon. Plus I have never had shackles etc. in the front or rear and I've been able to squeak by, but it's time to start trying to have better recover equipment on my truck. I figure I don't have the space for a welder really, nor the $$, nor the time at the minute to get loaded up with scrap steel, learn how to make decent welds, come up with a good design, and go with it. Now I'm looking at a couple different options:

Started with HFS bumper, I know Hulk likes his pretty well:
coolfj40_1970_14597564

But then I saw this one on MUD from MAF: I kinda like it because IH8DEER (I have hit 2 of them) and this gives a little high-up protection to beat those suckers down to the ground again:
attachment.php

So that's where I'm starting, any opinions?

I think Hawke or Hawkdriver from MUD has been making bumpers too, I just didn't have a chance to look that one up yet; I'm not even sure if he's still selling them.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
The Bezel police have been dispatched

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
The 4Plus stuff Man-a-fre sells seems pretty nice. I really really like their rear swing out tire and cooler carrier. I think Jeff has one on his 40.

What are you going to do for a lift?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i love the looks of dave gore's stuff.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Who's Dave Gore?

Lift is going to come after I wear out my current set of tires, still not quite sure what I want to do...

wesintl

RS Moderator
I like the dave gore stuff too but I don't think that is going to give you that much protection from deer. Personally l like the look of the ccot better in this application. Plus if you decide you want some tube on in there is always some guy in castle rock... ;)

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So it looks like Dave Gore is the one who builds the bumpers for MAF?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Or I kind of like this one more than the HFS, it has a little more finished look (to my eye):
2654cfj40.jpg

wesintl

RS Moderator
Don't forget Jim.. He could build you exactly what you want ;)

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Or there's always ARB:
LandCrusier_40_bullbar.jpg

wesintl

RS Moderator
blah.. that's a jeep bar :(

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
You can go with Metal-Tech as well. I have a few bumpers being shipped and you could throw yours on the truck to save on shipping. Mark doesn't have pics of the 40 stuff on the website but I can get you pics if you wanted another option.

The MAF 4+ rear tire carrier will not fit any cooler on the market. They designed it for the old style ARB fridge that is no longer available. When I called them on it, they told me they didn't feel the need to change the design. There is a post on MUD with the dimensions if anyone wants to try and source a cooler before they buy it.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Mike could you post up a pic or two of that bumper? I don't think I want a stinger like you've got, but everything is welcome at this point.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I don't have a pic yet. Mark is still in the prototype stage. His FJ40 bumper is just like the finished CCOT bumper you posted on the first page.

Mike could you post up a pic or two of that bumper? I don't think I want a stinger like you've got, but everything is welcome at this point.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Here's Hawkdriver's from MUD:
attachment.php

From this thread

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I think I'm leaning toward this one (same as the MAF one on first page), but the winch line goes through the bumper.
52100winch.jpg

You think maybe the factory license plate bracket would mount on top of that? ;)

Maybe put some auxiliary Toyota OEM driving lights on the sides?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Matt,

Here are pictures of my old setup with the XD9000 mounted feet down on a winch channel and my new setup with the 8274 on the 4+ bumper (sorry I don't have a closer up pic yet). It is the 4+ from MAF. I thought they had discontinued it awhile ago :confused: - I know the picture is still there but when you click on the picture it takes you to a different bumper.

Anyway, I really like the bumper. Stout, good shackle/D-ring attachment points, etc. The only thing I don't like is the lack of light attachment points (read none).

From what I can tell the bumper in the first picture and the picture above are one and the same. The difference is it looks like the owner in the first picture mounted the winch feet down on a winch channel between the frame rails (probably similar to my old setup) and then put the fairlead on the top of the bumper (using the top winch mounting holes) which allowed him/her to mount their license plate to the lower holes intended for the fairlead. Clear as mud? :lol:

Attachments

• 100_3021 - Small.JPG
    100_3021 - Small.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0487.jpg
    DSC_0487.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Corsair2.JPG
    Corsair2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 158

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Matt the 4+ bumper is stout! I really like their stuff. I think 2badfj's could make you something unique and exactly the way you want it for the cost of the MAF bumper. I have no idea, but Jim is definatley worth checking out before you buy.

FWIW, I still say buy the welder and get cracking, you know you want sliders, and a rear bumper, and tire carrier, and a camping trailer, and a tube chassis, and a roll cage...

Come on Matt a CSM grad and no welder... M.E. to boot! :D