• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Who owns your car?

Carbon14

Wincher
In a lot of areas of the tech world there are no work around, I know this all to well with some of the stuff I do.
The ability to disable a vehicle remotely is embedded in code. Code can be edited. Change the name of the subroutine by one character, and you have disabled the the entire ability to shut the rig down.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
The ability to disable a vehicle remotely is embedded in code. Code can be edited. Change the name of the subroutine by one character, and you have disabled the the entire ability to shut the rig down.
That would work in a world without encryption. Most ECUs don't allow users access to the code.

Carbon14

Wincher
That would work in a world without encryption. Most ECUs don't allow users access to the code.
Most users haven't been working with code for 41 years.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Having physical access changes things, though. Not to mention even the best CPUs eventually have a vulnerability, such as the CSME ROM mask flaw that exposes unencrypted access to the firmware during boot. There's always a way. Meltdown and Spectre existed for, what, at least a decade on both ARM and x86/x64 before anyone outside of the government knew about them. There's one that they just found a month or two ago in Apollo Lake and Gemini Lake that broke BitLocker encryption.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I thought of this thread when reading the below article. Good news - better maps and features that are constantly updated are coming; bad news - it requires a monthly subscription. I know there was similar discussion on the Toyota EV thread (Toyota EV Lineup) about who "owns" your car, but the reality is all OEMs are going this direction giving them more control over the user experience than ever before. Legacy OEMs will just be a little slower to roll out due to the scale of their task updating older platforms to something more connected.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I thought of this thread when reading the below article. Good news - better maps and features that are constantly updated are coming; bad news - it requires a monthly subscription. I know there was similar discussion on the Toyota EV thread (Toyota EV Lineup) about who "owns" your car, but the reality is all OEMs are going this direction giving them more control over the user experience than ever before. Legacy OEMs will just be a little slower to roll out due to the scale of their task updating older platforms to something more connected.

Buying Garmin Stock now...haha

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'd love it if this were offered a la carte; in addition to, or instead of, a subscription. I could see not wanting to have a subscription for a pretty long time... but then here comes the family road trip and it would be worth it to me to plunk down $10 for a map update- Or if there was some fancy new driving mode, well I'd like to hear about it first, maybe watch a vid, then perhaps download a free trial? After 3 days I either have to delete it or pay for it.

But if it becomes another monthy bill that's just more $$ against you trying to sell them, on top of the payment and insurance. Not unlike looking at a house that comes with an HOA.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Toyota is going with Mapbox ;) (although not a publicly traded company).
I meant because I assume like me, others won't buy whatever Toyota is selling with the subscription 😅

Or I suppose I will just continue to make sure with my phone?

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I meant because I assume like me, others won't buy whatever Toyota is selling with the subscription 😅

Or I suppose I will just continue to make sure with my phone?

Ah I get it now! I've driven vehicles running Mapbox, and it's quite good actually. The key with any system is the ability to keep it updated frequently - especially without ever having to go to a dealer!

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Tesla started to release its repair manual. The reason they are doing this is to stay ahead of the right to repair legislation that is moving across of the country. What’s even better is that because Tesla has done this it is going to put a lot of pressure on other EV companies, and parts will be next. Seems like the idea that these companies business models will be forced to change because of peoples response to a lot of this. But diagnostic services are coming and I can’t wait until we see these tech companies be forced to actually follow the laws that are in place already.