• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Which FRS/GMRS handheld radio(s) to buy?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I have been interested in an MXT275 for a bit, although I think it is silly that we have to buy multiple FM radios because radio X can only Tx here and radio Y is only allowed to Tx here, when they do the same thing and one of them is perfectly capable of transmitting in the other ones frequency range. But alas lets follow this arbitrary law so they don't come take our frequencies.
Staying legal is possible without buying multiple radios but it requires an understanding of the rules and dreaded technical speak.

The FCC requires radios used for business, GMRS, FRS, CB, etc to be submitted for testing and certification. This is known as "Type Approval."

Business radios are certified under Part 90 of the FCC regulations, GMRS, FRS and CB are Part 95. A manufacturer may submit a radio for approval for any service for which it meet the requirements so a single FCC ID can be approved for multiple uses, if the OEM wants to pay for the testing.

Amateur radio is the only exception to this rule. We operate under what's known as Part 97 and our radios do not require manufacturers to submit for any approval. The license holder is responsible for reviewing or performing tests that verify a radio meets technical requirements and the radio is operated consistent with the rules.

Point is if a radio is submitted and approved for Part 95 it's legal to use on GMRS. Done and done.

If the manufacturer submitted it for Part 90 it'll necessarily cover a wide range of frequencies and be programmable due to the nature of the use (there's a very wide range of business frequencies that can be assigned). This frequency agility can be leveraged to legally program and use it for ham if it falls within the range.

So if you have Parts 90 and 95 from the manufacturer you get Part 97 for free. If you search the FCC database you'll find some that meet all these criteria. I haven't personally verified them to say 100% they cover 420 to 470 MHz, the range required for ham and GMRS, but they could be used for both if they do.

The primary problem is finding a radio that covers both VHF and UHF (thus 2m ham and GMRS) with all type approvals. That is exceedingly rare, if there are even any at all (I don't know of any personally).

Motorola Mobile (Grantee ABZ):
M1225

Motorola HT (Grantee AZ4):
Spirit (MU11, MU21, MU24)

Kenwood Mobile (Grantee K44):
NX-800, TK-5820, TK-8180, TK-8302, TK-8160, TK-860, TK-880

Kenwood HT (Grantee ALH):
NX-300, TK-3180, TK-3130, TK-3100 series, TK-278/378, TK-2200/TK-3200 series

Vertex-Standard Mobile (Grantee K66):
VX-4207, VX-5500, VX-3200, VX-2500

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Rising Sun - Midland Discount Code for 2021, expires 1/1/2022 (excludes BizTalk) posted to Members only section!

(You won't get any before Cruise Moab so plan your purchase for after)

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
A new radio to the market, the Retevis RB27.

A9216A-2-.jpg

This one seems to check a lot of boxes. Claims 5W max (appears to be actually only be 3W per FCC approval test data, so marketing might weasel around this saying it's 5W ERP "equivalent"), dual receive, repeater-capable, can set privacy tones manually. Can receive NOAA weather and broadcast commercial FM stations, too.

A pretty important feature is can be directly charged via a USB cable, something a few Retevis radios have started including lately. It has a drop-in charger, too.

index.jpg

Looks to me the only negative is that it is narrowband (12.5KHz) only. This makes it compatible with FRS but gives up fidelity and range when you use it licensed for 20KHz GMRS channels. You'll sound thin and lower in volume on GMRS radios using wider bandwidth.

Seems like a lot of radio for $30 or so.

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Unless I can directly plug-in while I use the HT in the truck, no go. I do not see a USB plug directly into the side of the radio

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Unless I can directly plug-in while I use the HT in the truck, no go. I do not see a USB plug directly into the side of the radio
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 2.23.45 PM.png

The USB jack is on the lower rear of the battery pack. Whether it's safe to operate the radio while simultaneously charging would be a question. Generally it's not a good idea to have a radio powered while it's sitting in a charger as this can lead to under- or overcharging the battery. So my assumption would this radio cannot be USB powered while operating unless there's information found to the contrary. It's fairly rare anymore for portables to have external power or even charging provisions, handy as it would certainly be. Commercial radios eliminated the option long ago and seems to be trickling down through other types.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Another option is the Retevis RB26.

It lacks a lot of features but this one has the USB jack on the side of the radio, not on the battery. The owner's manual isn't specific other than to say the LED color will indicate red while charging and green when fully charged. Doesn't say you can or should avoid operate while charging.

Some radios can do both, like the old Yaesu VX-7R (ham radio, not GMRS) could be powered to operate and would charge the battery in parallel. But it would power cycle when plugging it in due to the design choices necessary to keep the power and charging circuits isolated.

index2.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Since we're going to try standardizing on GMRS/FRS in the Bookcliff Cruisers I started working on a matrix to compare features. So far what I have. LMK if there's models I need to add. This is very preliminary with mistakes likely. I've been reading a lot of marketing sheets and FCC test reports and it makes one cross eyed. The prices are not authoritative, just to give relative positioning.

*Old version deleted*

Last edited:

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Dave, Awesome list! ... there is also Rocky Talkie I've noticed advertised lately, no experience or opinion of them but they claim a Denver base.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Dave, Awesome list! ... there is also Rocky Talkie I've noticed advertised lately, no experience or opinion of them but they claim a Denver base.
Updated with Rocky Talkie and Retevis RB27.

*Old version deleted*

Last edited:

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
Not sure the Midland MXT NOAA option is accurate. May want to review those, but it might be an update with the newer models.

Also noticed some MXT275 come with USB-A and others Type-C...

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Not sure the Midland MXT NOAA option is accurate. May want to review those, but it might be an update with the newer models.

Also noticed some MXT275 come with USB-A and others Type-C...
It looks like the MXT105/115/275 do include NOAA and the table reflects that now. I do not see the MXT400 listing NOAA reception.

Thanks to KF0RNR for the head's up.

FWIW where USB is listed I meant how the radio is itself charged or powered. The MXT mobiles include USB ports to charge other devices as a convenience, which I approached for the purposes of this matrix as a marketing feature and haven't yet seriously dove into. At this point it was a first swipe at comparing base functionality.

It has expanded since that last version. Added some Part 95 accepted Kenwood, Motorola, Vertex mobile and HTs. Added green bar formatting to give it a hipster retro feel.

*Removed old version*

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

RedRunner

Lifted
Does anyone have any thoughts on the new Rugged GMR2 handheld GMRS radios?

I just applied for my GMRS license and I also ordered the GMR2 handheld by Rugged. I have been using the V3 rugged radios for a while now and like them a lot. That is why I went with the Rugged GMR2. I don't have any experience with GMRS but now that everyone seems to switching from CB over to GMRS I figured I would follow suit.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I like the green bars, but "Holy tiny font, Batman!"
It wasn't well conceived originally as a spreadsheet just for my reference so part of the reason the project is stalled is I need to re-imagine it I think as a database with some sort of web interface.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

I just applied for my GMRS license and I also ordered the GMR2 handheld by Rugged. I have been using the V3 rugged radios for a while now and like them a lot. That is why I went with the Rugged GMR2. I don't have any experience with GMRS but now that everyone seems to switching from CB over to GMRS I figured I would follow suit.
This radio carries a type acceptance of 2AWYH-GMR2 in case anyone is into those things (I'll get it added to the list).

It seems to be a TYT TH-UV88 variant. That particular radio is for ham (not legal for GMRS) and is pretty new to the market within the last year or so. Not a lot of people have them yet but it seems like an OK radio for the money (typically about $35 for a TH-UV88).

One thing to mention is Rugged got hit with a fine from the FCC the end of 2020 for basically slapping fake FCC IDs on their V3 radios. However in this case it appears they have legitimate FCC submitted paperwork and is based on a different radio chassis.

Some of the deets. It appears to do 1.8W on high power and can receive beyond FRS/GMRS bands so can hear (but not transmit) such things as ham radio and NOAA weather.

RedRunner

Lifted

I just applied for my GMRS license and I also ordered the GMR2 handheld by Rugged. I have been using the V3 rugged radios for a while now and like them a lot. That is why I went with the Rugged GMR2. I don't have any experience with GMRS but now that everyone seems to switching from CB over to GMRS I figured I would fo

This radio carries a type acceptance of 2AWYH-GMR2 in case anyone is into those things (I'll get it added to the list).

It seems to be a TYT TH-UV88 variant. That particular radio is for ham (not legal for GMRS) and is pretty new to the market within the last year or so. Not a lot of people have them yet but it seems like an OK radio for the money (typically about $35 for a TH-UV88).

One thing to mention is Rugged got hit with a fine from the FCC the end of 2020 for basically slapping fake FCC IDs on their V3 radios. However in this case it appears they have legitimate FCC submitted paperwork and is based on a different radio chassis.

Some of the deets. It appears to do 1.8W on high power and can receive beyond FRS/GMRS bands so can hear (but not transmit) such things as ham radio and NOAA weather.
Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I don't know what most of that means. Since you mention "That particular radio is for ham (not legal for GMRS)" will I get into any trouble using this radio without a HAM license or using it on the GMRS?

Sorry for the "stupid questions" but when it comes to this radio stuff, I am very much out of the loop and behind the times. I just want something that I can talk with other rigs while wheeling and not get into trouble.

Would you suggest returning the GMR2 and going with something else or do you think I'll be ok with the GMR2 for now? As I get more familiar with GMRS world I will eventually install mobile units in both 4Runners but just wanted a handheld to get started.

Thank you for any and all information! It is greatly appreciated!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I don't know what most of that means. Since you mention "That particular radio is for ham (not legal for GMRS)" will I get into any trouble using this radio without a HAM license or using it on the GMRS?

The Rugged GMR2 as near as I can tell has the right paperwork for GMRS. Since you have your GMRS license you are totally OK using it.

The GMR2 looks to be based on the TYT TH-UV88 radio, which is the radio that is not allowed on GMRS. The TH-UV88 could be used for amateur radio if someone holds a ham license but not GMRS. Going the other way a GMR2 could not be used for ham radio.

Sorry for the "stupid questions" but when it comes to this radio stuff, I am very much out of the loop and behind the times. I just want something that I can talk with other rigs while wheeling and not get into trouble.

It's not a stupid question at all. I tend to confuse more than help. Or so I've been told.

Anyway, Rugged has had some regulatory issues but this radio does not appear to be affected by them to the best of my knowledge.

Would you suggest returning the GMR2 and going with something else or do you think I'll be ok with the GMR2 for now? As I get more familiar with GMRS world I will eventually install mobile units in both 4Runners but just wanted a handheld to get started.

Thank you for any and all information! It is greatly appreciated!
If you already have the GMR2 I don't see anything at first pass that would warrant returning it necessarily. It's not a common radio so reviews and information are spotty so can't really comment whether it justifies what seems IMO like kind of a premium price.

Last edited: