Which 35" Tires to buy..

rover67

Rising Sun Member
The BFG AT's I had on the truck before (they were 33's) were great on the road and i loved how quiet they were, but i miss the mud traction i had with the MT's i had before them. anyways, i am now comitted to the 35" tire upgrade and need to buy a set but was wondering what people's experiences were... I have a set of 15x8 wheels on the way from summit and am tempted to buy the BFG AT's from tirerack.com (35x12.50 - 15's are $157 a peice) since they are such a good deal.. any better deals around town on something else? discount tire wanted like $173 ea. for the BFG AT's..

should i consider any other tires? is the mud bad here in colorado in the summer or is it mainly dry? will i miss the muds like i did in the muddy south?the truck will have a winch, so getting stuck is not as big of an issue anymore.... maybe i am talking myself into another set of AT's..

yes yes, i know the mud vs. at tire thing is personal preference, but i am looking for some input.

sorry if you guys are getting sick of seeing my posts in here :rolleyes:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
These guys are long sick of seeing my posts but I persist :D

Again it's going to go back to what do you want your truck to do? DD+weekend warrior? Weekend warrior only? Trailer queen? I've been happy with my MT/Rs for the style of wheeling we have here and in Moab, plus the occasional DD duties my FJ40 may serve, and I've been in places where an AT won't get the job done, so I'm leaning more toward the open lugs. My next iteration with this truck will probably see the TRXUS M/T, which Uncle Ben runs and seems to enjoy. A lot of guys in the club started running the Toyo M/T at about the same time, but personally I don't see the appeal in that tire, it's heavy and stiff. If you're sticking with A/T, check out what the Goodyear Wrangler A/T has to offer; we've been happy running them on our Suburban and Tacoma for a few years now, good road manners and a pretty decent semi-open lug tread design. Yay for web wheeling! :D

wesintl

RS Moderator
It really depends on how much wheelin vs trails you'll see. Summer is usually really dry and not much mud but mixed in with snow you'll see some. We usually try and stay out of it though. It's not like back east though. If your just taking the usual scenic passes etc you'll be fine with at's if you looking for harder wheelin you'll still want mt's

I have a buddy that is running these new tires called Pit Bull Rockers on his buggy, He really likes them. Otherwise I have had a set of BFG MTs on various cars now (yes thats how long they have lasted). The set before that saw about 50,000 DD miles before they finally gave out. So my vote would be for the BFG MTs if its a DD/weekend warrior.

The AT vs. MT isn't really about if you will see mud or not. Its more about the tread design. Yes initially each tire was designed for a specific use, but in wheeling its more about open lug vs closed lug. The open lug will flex and contour better than the ATs. IMO MTs are the are way to go for wheeling, but if its on the road they will be slightly louder and get some (not much) less traction in the snow.

Just my:twocents:

arthog

Hard Core 4+
I have MTs on my 55 and I live at 9000'. so I see snow at least 5 months of the year. I think they SUCK! On packed snow roads they slide all over if Im not in 4wd. I did a 35mph 360 through a turn on them. Not fun in a SOA 55. I need new tires too and will go with ATs

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Siped MTs and don't look back :D

I'm biased obviously but honestly I had AT Revos on my Durango that were supposedly "snow rated" and I slid around more on those than I have on my siped Toyo MTs. Heck, I slid around more on the dedicated Yokohama snow tires I put on the Durango than I do on the siped Toyo MTs. I'm sure part of that is the vehicle difference but not all of it. I'm not a hardcore wheeler though so I'm not worried about chunking (still only had the centers done though) and my rig spends 99%+ of its time on the road.

Did you ask if Discount would price match? Seems people are having good luck with that lately. You might have to call around to more than one store though.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I have run both on 4runners and a full sized truck. I will not run MT's on a full size again because it is just a waste of money for me.

As for the 4Runners, I have Goodyear MT's and love them, now that I know my pressure gauge was of, long story. Anyway like others said for rock crawling the MT's go above the AT's, they just grip better. In CO there is very little "legal" mud that you can get into. I try to avoid mud as much as I can since I hate the cleanup after.

My vote, go MT's. If you feel they are to slippery, they can be, then have them siped it helps a ton.

Magoo

COOPER STT'S!
never look back.its the only tire i will buy anymore.look great and make snow actually FUN to drive in.tuff as hell too.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
The trend for the 80 guys is the Toyo Open Country MT

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
The appeal of Toyo's over the TrxUs's is the Toyos run quieter and balance very well. It's fun to wheel the big open lugs, but tough to watch them disappear on the highway, especially when you're paying $200+ per tire. I really like my Toyos, but probably won't buy them again mainly because of how expensive they are, and are going to be when the price goes up.

IMO, I'd watch all the lists for a used set of tires and then get some for half the price that are only good for another couple years, then see where you stand on the AT/MT thing after you wheel 35's for a while. You could probably pick up a set of tires for ~$500, drive them for a year then sell them for ~$200...

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I am running the MTRs for several years now, pretty quiet, seem to wear well and balance great. I am committed to them forever now with 5 of them on the truck and 2 more on the trailer now...

I hate to think of the cost of switching to something else! :eek:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
COOPER STT'S!
never look back.its the only tire i will buy anymore.look great and make snow actually FUN to drive in.tuff as hell too.

I looked at those too, could not find my size or I would have gone that way most likely. Got a great deal on them so I had to go that way.

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
The trend for the 80 guys is the Toyo Open Country MT
old news ;).... the "new" trend for the 80 is the Cooper STT (don't get left out they will look great on the new rims :D)

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Trxus MT!

I will have a set with over 50% tread available in a year for a good price when it is time for my next set. That's a long way off, of course, but posted it to say that you will find sets of these from time to time to test out the different tires at way less than full price.

Mine are 16" (35x12.5x16). Snow performance is so good, so better than any AT I have seen or run, comparable to dedicated snow tires, that I won't run anything else, no matter how round it is. Snow, including deep stuff, is the reason I don't run a tire like the Nitto Terra Grappler as it would probably be sufficient for the wheeling I do and a nice road tire. I also don't like the smallish 315's (Toyo is big for the breed), although that may be splitting hairs.

But...I only put 7,500 miles a year as I work from home, so I'm not daily driving a soft compound into the asphalt every day as my miles come from trips where the 80 and its capabilities are what is called for over the minivan.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Wow... thanks for all the input guys!

This really helps... really really. i'm going to try and order some tires tonight after i call discount and see if they are willing to match any prices i find.

I am leaning towards getting the MT's again..

Nay

Hard Core 4+

The Yokos are a directional tire design, I knew a few who ran them to decent reviews, but I think you can see where lateral traction is not a focus. In a snowy mountain climate, that would be a downside to me. Seems to be more of a flatlander tire.

If I was looking for some more radically different, I'd give the new BFG KM2 a hard look as it is the probably the most "different" tire we've seen for the mass market since the MTR kicked off the rush for rock oriented "MT's" with good road manners.

These baby Krawlers represent a major departure from the standard BFG MT design, and clearly represent BFG's attempt to regain the market leadership it has lost over the past decade. I still doubt their icy hardpack competence, but reports will tell as more buy them.

FJBen

For me it would be down to Trxus MT's and Toyo's if I were to buy another set.

I liked my trxus a lot, and the Toyo's seem to be getting great reviews.

The toyo's are better on road and last longer. Offroad I think they are comparable as well, although I'd like to see a head to head test on these tires.

The only thing I can say is that if Toyo goes through with that gigantic price increase, i would be swayed towards Trxus much faster.