• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

What's my paint code?

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
Napa paint off of I 70 and 58th area mixes auto paint and I know they have the old Toyota books

Not sure if you are set on PPG but just a thought

I was trying to match a blue on a while back
I thought it was one color and they actually found the correct color or one that matched much better

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Someone should be able to scan a sample of one of your existing pieces and match it from there Tim. Maybe treeroot or DanS or someone knows who is able to do that.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
What is interesting is the sample looks great in daylight. Also letting it dry another day made a difference, check it out:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 270

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
But back in the garage the color is way too green. It also looks worse in the camera than in real life. I am told this has to do with the toners being discontinued.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 275

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I will post up another picture tonight of the sample on my fender- will look way different than those pics above. Going to wherein williams tomorrow for another match

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
So the computer match at PPg is no Bueno. Way too green, not enough brown.. Might be cool if you were starting over, but not a match

Empty BCB growler in the background in that photo. Might have been a better color match if run before the beer. ;)

I had trouble matching paint when I did mine too. In fact, I ordered an entire gallon of PPG "dune" beige that turned out to be the wrong shade because I just ordered off the code. Still need to sell that, but keep forgetting I have it. Anyhow...

Some of those old timer paint mixing guys are pretty good at custom mixing to match the shade. You may need to start with a computer match, then add in a little talent to completely nail it. Last place I used for that was down on Sante Fe next to Target & Costco. Just make sure you order enough to do the entire truck so you can paint more if need be. One other thing: this may vary, but I noticed that my color changed ever so slightly between mix up and spray runs. Technically, the hardener and the thinner shouldn't alter the color, but I could definitely tell a difference in day 1 and day 14 paintwork.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Here is my same sample, now 2 days old. Still too green under garage light, and so very close in outdoor light. It also looks worse in the camera, naked eye is not this far off- to the point that I'm tempted to spray it this color. But will still see what sw comes back with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 255

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I got a call today from SW that they think they've got it! No idea how many attempts they have.. but if it's dead on I'll likely buy a drum or two, just to have on hand for eternity. :lmao:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
cant wait to see it painted dude!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
You and me both.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 233

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Looking good Nak.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I got a call today from SW that they think they've got it! No idea how many attempts they have.. but if it's dead on I'll likely buy a drum or two, just to have on hand for eternity. :lmao:

Answered you PM about whether I want some too, since my project is the same color. So the main question is, what is the shelf life of this stuff?

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
A very long time as long as it doesn't freeze and you don't let air seep into the can
I have heard for 15 years or so
Shake it up and it should be good

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
the stuff is only good for a couple weeks Jeff. Get sanding! :)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
No, I was just kidding Jason.. my feeble attempt to get Jeff motivated a little.:D

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
the stuff is only good for a couple weeks Jeff. Get sanding! :)

Too many projects stacked up ahead...

FWIW where I am at is I have 2 small pieces to weld in where the ambulance doors go, then recruit a couple of RS buds to help me take the tube off and flip it upside down. Then do some welding, grinding and sealing on the underside, then prep the whole tub for paint (bondo/sand/repeat/prime). Looking at around 20-40 hours of prep time before the tub is ready for paint. Extrapolating and saying "okay that is a priority" and we're talking at least a couple months.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Jeff - I have single-stage Dupont paint I used on my FJ40, and after 21 years, I mixed it well and shot a few test pieces, and it cured nicely and sprayed on without issue. I may try some touch-up on the truck. I had to use a different 'activator', as mine had turned into a solid block, but I got away with it. I'm sure this isn't recommended, but it worked for me. Various paint guys have backed me up on this, too. I stored it in a quart mason jar, with a metal cap, screwed on tightly.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
hey @Rzeppa are you ready to squirt some paint yet? It's been 7 years... and I am finally getting to my hard top. I painted the doors right before Cruise Moab, but that was the last of the paint.. I need to get more. I think I have worn out the guy at Napa up here in Broomfield, he had way too many failed attempts last time and kind of gave up. I may try the Napa paint down on 58th this time presuming they still do it.

I've got a bunch of sample parts, a bunch of documents that all say 653 Toyota, 45228 PPG, 44286 Dupont, etc. I also have what's left of a rattle can from Cruiser Corps. Although the cruiser corp stuff is a little bit on the yellow side, at least in direct sun it looks better in the dark and shade. That's compared to all my tub parts I matched/painted 7 years ago, which are a perfect match to my windshield frame and dashboard that has never been repainted.

This is what the inside of the ambulance door panel looks like painted with the Cruiser Corps rattle can...

IMG_7513.jpg

IMG_7514.jpg