What is your dog doing right now?

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Anytime a leash is involved, there is tension. The dog is protecting the owner. I don't understand why a rescue would even suggest using a leash. Honestly if it's not raining I would say to do it out in the yard, away from any sleeping or eating areas that your dog may have.

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Anytime a leash is involved, there is tension. The dog is protecting the owner. I don't understand why a rescue would even suggest using a leash. Honestly if it's not raining I would say to do it out in the yard, away from any sleeping or eating areas that your dog may have.
They state it's for easy separation and removal. While I can understand that. I am apprehensive as that same trainer had them meet through a fence at first which turned out horribly. Then I asked if we could just do face to face slowly, and that worked well. I thought it might be better to keep them apart on the way home. Maybe that was a mistake?

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
They state it's for easy separation and removal. While I can understand that. I am apprehensive as that same trainer had them meet through a fence at first which turned out horribly. Then I asked if we could just do face to face slowly, and that worked well. I thought it might be better to keep them apart on the way home. Maybe that was a mistake?
Dogs normally figure shit out unless one of them is extremely aggressive. If your current pup is protective of either of you, then don't act like you need protecting, stay calm and not tense. Make sure both of them have their tails up and wagging.
Take them both to a local park So there's no guarding of home space and you can try and just do walk bys. Correct your dog whenever he or she starts to get huffy.
Edit to add: take them on a walk together. Each on a leash held by both you are your wife. As they get more used to each other then switch so one person is holding both leashes and keep walking just keep moving forward.

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
It's a dog party in the shop right now, trying to stay dry. Was trying to tow my riding lawn mower up a hill in my yard when this came out of nowhere and hit us broadside. Pancho was not a fan. 🤣

Attachments

• 20240425_153350.jpg
    20240425_153350.jpg
    917.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240425_153613.jpg
    20240425_153613.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240425_150935.jpg
    20240425_150935.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • received_1516769269253281.jpeg
    received_1516769269253281.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 17

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
The first intro's should be outside. I just let them free for all. Let them sniff each other out, kind of tired each other out for at least 30 minutes, no leashes. I would say the more time the better. Then bring them in the house. I would keep Pepper outside and let the pup sniff around and check everything out. New pup back outside for one last round of running around. Pepper inside first, calm as possible. Then bring the new pup inside. NOT in Pepper's "room", wither that be the mud room, your bedroom, etc. Not where Pepper has claimed. Then walk them both around the house, I do not recall if I did leashes or not, paying close attention to aggression when you get to Pepper's room.

The new pup will know where Pepper's place is, and if he is feisty will try to "claim" it.

Mochi had claimed my bed. And anytime she was in it she would snap at Bento. So she was not allowed in bed for a while. Bento knew that was "hers" and would totally egg her on. It took the two of them a month or so, but they ended up being the best of buds.

Yarn Cruiser

Rising Sun Member
Let them sniff eachother from under a door can help. If it's taking them a while to adjust, feed them on opposite sides of the door with food bowls farther apart and move them closer to the door as they become more comfortable with eachother.

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for all the tips. Integration is still going rough. Ended up calling my cousin In Arizona who is a professional dog trainer. She is actually a k9 behavioral expert and trains police and military dogs, as well as helps transition them and other working dogs into homes when needed. She was able to help us come up with a plan. Will take some time and lots of effort. But that's better than just giving up, or having bad interactions harm the puppy. So far they have been kept separate. They share a yard, but not at the same time. Was told this could be a long process, and that Pepper may never fully welcome him in. We are prepared for that, and just have both dog's best interests in mind.

A puppy photo from today to keep the thread on topic:
20240425_132533.jpg

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for all the tips. Integration is still going rough. Ended up calling my cousin In Arizona who is a professional dog trainer. She is actually a k9 behavioral expert and trains police and military dogs, as well as helps transition them and other working dogs into homes when needed. She was able to help us come up with a plan. Will take some time and lots of effort. But that's better than just giving up, or having bad interactions harm the puppy. So far they have been kept separate. They share a yard, but not at the same time. Was told this could be a long process, and that Pepper may never fully welcome him in. We are prepared for that, and just have both dog's best interests in mind.

A puppy photo from today to keep the thread on topic:View attachment 129658
Dang. I'm sorry they aren't getting along. He's adorable tho!

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
@Brucker have you tried taking them to a park so it’s “neutral” ground?
Thank you, yes. Started on neutral ground everything was fine. Got home and tried to introduce on our property, but not in our fenced dog area. Things went south fast. Went to a local park to try there and it failed even worse. Leashes are a problem. So are dog parks, so that's out of the question. We have a solid plan in place now and just need to se it through.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Introduction at Boulder Humane Society Went better than expected. So I sent our Pepper and my wife home while I filled out the paperwork and paid the fee. Then this sweet 3 month old coonhound and I took our first ride home together.
View attachment 129574
View attachment 129575
Once home, we followed what BHS told us for reintroduction. Both on leashes then slowly let them come together. Failed miserably. Our Pepper wasn't having it. Bounced off the end of the leash, barking, with the hair standing. So they are completely separated now. Thinking/hoping both were just over stimulated and tired. Going to let them both take a nap and try again later. But this time without leashes as I know Pepper can be standoffish on a leash. Think I will carry the puppy and try introducing them again that way. For now I finally got the puppy to pass out. Wife is working with Pepper.

View attachment 129576
Wish us luck as we need it. I am completely smitten and need this to work. Would also take any tips you might have.
Have you got a dog gate/door, or crate? Either can make for a very safe, slow intro. But the dog gate can require you to stand there forever if you have a jumper that knows he/she can clear the gate. Basically just let them interact & smell until they calm down & are easy with each other

Brucker

Hard Core 4+
Ms Pepper has had a rough couple of days. She is a very anxious dog and trying to bring the puppy into our family has really stressed her out. Finally got her comfy on the couch and she passed out hard. But the stress must be getting to her as she has passed gas 3 times in the past 15 minutes while sleeping. Bad enough it made me gag. I must be getting old, spending my Friday night at home with my dog, listening and smelling her as she sleeps. Just snoring and farting away. At least she is resting finally.

20240426_214621.jpg

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
I must be getting old as well, not only does that sound like a good Friday to me it also resembles just about all of my evenings these days.

It is a big soggy out, but I have a large fully fenced dog run, mostly grass and lots of trees, if a smaller “dog park” kind of atmosphere would be helpful. Gyoza loves other dogs and Bento only cares about the ball.

The boys yesterday morning in said dog run.
IMG_3931.jpeg

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
@Brucker what kind of aggression? Is the puppy going after the older dog or is it one way?

I have only posted the fun photos but there have been some tense moments between these two here. It baffles me that they have zero food aggression and will share bowls randomly.

There have been some arguments over space and toys. At first Macallan was not allowed in any dog beds. Now he is with a "dont chew on my face" restriction.

To me this is a normal interaction where the puppy is learning the house rules, which the older dog gets to set. We have about 10 of these a day over various rules Macallan has broken. Dont chew on me, dont bother me when im sleeping, thats my toy, ect.

Talisker likes to remind the new guy that when he wants the antler it is his, and not for sharing. Its part of them establishing a pack order. You can see him keeping his distance and acting super submissive as they get closer. Talisker has been around quite a few other puppies and I trust him to bark and not bite. Different with every dog. Neither of these guys are neutered which makes it a bit more important for them to establish the rules early. Talisker has quite a few male dog friends in our previous and current neighborhoods that are also intact males. We have never had aggression problems other than some chest beating. I attribute that to lots of early exposure.

20240427_073956.jpg
20240427_073034.jpg
20240426_195441.jpg

Now we are slowly getting better. As long as these interactions are supervised I think they are productive. Puppies do not know how to communicate well and it frustrates older dogs. Add that on top of a suddenly shared space and it is normal to get some tension. Imagine getting a new surprise roommate who does not speak english, has ADD, no manners, and generally acts like he just smoked some crack.

I am not a dog trainer. Just my observations introducing lots of puppies over the years. Between our dogs and my parents I have watched the new puppy process for around 30 years now.

Last edited:

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Imagine getting a new surprise roommate who does not speak english, has ADD, no manners, and generally acts like he just smoked some crack.

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

That is quite the imagery! But pretty spot on, in my - also not-a-dog trainer - opinion.

It has taken me a while to really appreciate how different each dog is, just like us humans. It has taken even longer to realize patience is needed at nearly all times as well. If I ever find a magic genie lamp, my first wish is that my dogs can talk to me. The second might be for them to go back to normal, but yeah. Especially when you get the feeling they do not feel well.