• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

what do you think about this 80?

isotel

Its a 94 144k, Lockers, white, Been in a wreck, one front fender is a different color, and not quite lined up too good, running board is kinda jacked(but those will be gone anyway ;) ).. Kinda Smelly inside, and a bit dirty, but should clean up alright.

Birfs are not making noise, and dont look too leaky. but the main issues is with the Shifter, i have not driven it yet, but he said the shifter was not working properly (getting suck in Park) :confused:

Its only $5000, and im thinking about picking it up to replace my 4 runner.. any insite would be great.. Ive been looking for a bit and would love to pick up a nice LX450 or 96-97 Cruiser with low milage, but this sucker is 1/2 the price, and i dont mind getting my hands dirty fixing her up a bit :beer:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
You have any pics Trevor?

You know how to do a front axle so thats not a bad job.

You could hem and haw about the tranny and get it for $500 maybe.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Give me a call, Trevor... If its in town, I can come down and take a look at with you.

FJBen

A blown fuse will cause that "parking lock" to engage...I think it's the tail-light fuse...or maybe it's the radio/cigarrete lighter fuse...anyways...it's most likely the fuse.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
I saw a lx450 in ga I think on rockymountain cruisers for 5k, with 80k miles. Might be worth looking to see if still around.

georgia be warm and sunny with no salt.

The shifter not shifting is most likely a blown brake light fuse. I wouldn't mention this to the seller though. I'd use it for negotiation. At 5k you are almost in parts rig territory. Anything under $4k is what I consider a parts rig. At 4k you can make your money back selling it off piece by piece. That doesn't mean that it is only good for parts but should you get into some sort of bind you could sell it off and get your investment back and you'd learn a ton about 80 series in the process.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
It's sitting in Ben's driveway right now. :lmao:

Nemo

Trail Ready

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
That one's been on there for some time now.

FJBen

lol....nope...no pink panties in my driveway...:Princess:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
There is no timing belt in an 80.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I've not heard of anyone needing to replace the timing chain.

There's a timing chain tensioner in the early models (93-94?) that can break. I think there's something on Christo's site or Mud.

There are also some electrical/computer issues with these years. This is all from memory (not experience):

- Early 93 computers had a recall -- check the model number
- Wiring harness in glove box and behind engine can wear/melt and cause weird symptoms
- EFI relay/wire is undersized and can overheat/fail

All of these issues are covered on mud.

FJBen

OK found another one! Green 93 No lockers 220k One owner, going to go look at it in the morning.. He has done the timming belt, front axle rebuild, new tires, and rear brakes.. $4250

jeez where are you finding these cheap 80's at!!! Let me know if ya pass or find a cheap. I need one for the :Princess: cheap is good...all part of the removing debt plan :D

thanks
Ben

isotel

yea i will look into those issues, Thanks Hants!

Ben, Yea i was pissed i missed the last one! Ive been on the 80 hunt for a while, but the $10k ones are a bit out of reach for me, (im in the Don't get myself into debt plan)

If i pass on it i will give you guys a full report and pass on his contact info..

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
No lockers
Pass. Lockers don't add anything to most deals, but mean a lot to you and me; most sellers don't even know what they are or whether they're worth anything, they're too busy telling you about the moon roof and stereo. And as has been mentioned, the 1FZ has a chain, not a belt. ALL OHC engines need their timing chains or belts replaced as a matter of routine maintenance.