• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Welding Class Info

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Interested.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I forgot to mention, if you have any interest in a Miller or Lincoln welder they have 5-6 (total 10-12) of each that you can play with. Enjoy!

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey everyone, I reached out a little while ago and finally heard back today from GA about setting up a class for us. This is what they said:
Screenshot_20230710_100535_Gmail.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230710_100535_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230710_100535_Gmail.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 31

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I am going to see if they offer any additional options as this cost per person is more than I anticipated. I will relay back what they say

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Dom! Looking forward to hearing more.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I am going to see if they offer any additional options as this cost per person is more than I anticipated. I will relay back what they say
personally I agree with you there. I’m very into this idea but that’s more than I’d like to spend. It’s cool that the guy can tailor the class to our goals though, that adds some value. Still doesn’t quite get there to match the price for me.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Their website lists half day classes for both MIG and Flux core. Seems to me this would be more to the liking of most interested, price and timewise. I am waiting on a reply for clarification on this type of class vs what he was offering in the email. Personally, my interested is in using nice machines and having an expert critique my work. I already have a welder at home and practiced for years but that doesn't mean I am doing it 100% correctly.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Just my $0.02 but for a fella like you Dom who's got a machine and some experience a class with a few students and a good teacher sounds like something that would cost about $365. That's not to say something like Paul took would be wasted but I doubt you'd get much from it.

But I will toss this out. I went through most of the two-year welding tech program at Front Range C.C. in Ft. Collins and each class wasn't that much more than $365. I want to say maybe twice that. But you'd get two classes per week, 3 hours each, for 16 weeks for that $700 or whatever it was.

So I'm wondering if what he's quoting is something more than just a smaller version of what Paul did. Like the expectation is training welders for actual production work so it's going to be a more intense class. General Air does do some professional training AFAIK. So you may end up with some sort of certificate from the class that has industry value.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Dom.......you rock for running with this! Well done!

But, damn......that price doesn't make sense. I really enjoyed the course and learned somethings but it wouldn't have been worth $365. LMK if I can help or answer any questions regarding training.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Update
Screenshot_20230714_123235_Gmail.jpg

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
According to their website, the half day training is $65 and Full day training is $130. I think we could get enough interest for a full class at those prices. I don't understand why he quoted $365 for a full day in the earlier email...custom tailored curriculum maybe?

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
According to their website, the half day training is $65 and Full day training is $130. I think we could get enough interest for a full class at those prices. I don't understand why he quoted $365 for a full day in the earlier email...custom tailored curriculum maybe?
That is my thoughts as well. Must have been a fully tailored class, although I never requested anything like that. I am interested in a half day class to keep it cheap and effective. Website list half day at $75 for MIG or Flux core. I can keep pushing to set up a date but figuring our what date works for everyone will be tough and we will need 10 commitments. Prob better at this point to jump on a pre scheduled date per their website if anyone is interested.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Where did we fall on this? I very interested in learning to weld. I took one 2 hour class with 10 others and had maybe 2 minutes of welding time. 😁 I'm definitely looking at taking some classes but would be fun to learn with rising sun folk.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Where did we fall on this? I very interested in learning to weld. I took one 2 hour class with 10 others and had maybe 2 minutes of welding time. 😁 I'm definitely looking at taking some classes but would be fun to learn with rising sun folk.
the final outcome of this particular attempt to schedule a group welding class was that the person I was dealing with at General Air wanted to set us up with a custom taylored class, at the time cost wise, would have been more per person than just using one of the pre scheduled classes available on their website. Scheduling a date that worked for everyone was also a challenge.

As of now, we could just pick a collective date on the General Air welding academy calendar and sign up to have a RS group meet up that particular day. Their website shows a number of MIG, TIG, flux core and stick classes available fridays and saturdays into early May.

The question arises, what is the timeframe people are looking for? most likely post Cruise Moab I assume
and what type of welding do you want to do? MIG, TIG, stick, flux core? steel or aluminum?

If we get some similar collective answers, we could get scheduled and pre reserve a spot for a group in an upcoming class

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
My friend Ben, who is a certified welder and has training experience, is willing to lead, a course. Maybe a preliminary course could help us think about what a more advanced course would be.

Last edited:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I am a stone cold beginner.

COToycoma

Rock Stacker
There always seems to be a post or two about someone needing some welding done or are interested in learning how to weld so I thought I'd throw this out for the Clubs information.

I learned to weld from my dad and high school shop class over 40 years ago and have just played with it since. While I can melt metal and make a decent weld I've never had any formal education on how and why it does what it does so, I signed up for a Mig welding class at General Air in Denver.

The class runs $150 and all the instruction, safety gear, supplies and equipment are supplied. It's about 6 hours long plus an hour for lunch. They have a number of other classes (Tig, Migs, etc...) and offer them in different lengths and subject matter. I would say for this course you'd have to have some welding experience to fully enjoy it since you start welding 10 minutes after you get there. There was no material prep or design in this course either so you kinda have to know that before hand. Their facility, equipment and instruction was top notch. The facility is clean, professional and state of the art (lazer welding, CAD and robotic welding!)

I would say that I came out of the class with new knowledge of why a weld does what it does, the proper way to put a weld down the way the pros do it without all the loopy, ziz-zag, C-weld, etc.....BS stuff they show on youtube and the true science and structural reasoning behind why a weld works oh, and how and why you select the correct voltage and wire speed settings on the machine for the material your working with!

The instructor is a true pro and his teaching style was laid back and respectful of the adults in the room. The Welding Academy is at 8th and Zuni just of I-25 in downtown Denver and just a couple of blocks over from Federal (ton of restaurants for lunch).

In the end, I learned a ton and met a bunch of interesting and cool guys all doing this class for a dozen different reasons and now I have some new knowledge and confidence in my welding ability.....fwiw.
View attachment 116704View attachment 116705View attachment 116706View attachment 116707View attachment 116708View attachment 116709View attachment 116710View attachment 116711View attachment 116712View attachment 116713View attachment 116714
IO took the 1/2 day MIG class a while ago to get me going - These are GREAT classes and well worth the money and time - I have been thinking aboyt taking it again now that I have a little time under my belt.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
FWIW I went through 2 years of welding school and still really suck. There's no substitute for practice and a youthful back and eyes. I was about 45 when I started at classes and had no experience. There is no way around learning it at 20 and building 30 years of muscle memory.

Take the class, sure, can't hurt. But you can also pick up a book and a welder and teach yourself a whole lot, too.

I also started trying to finally learn guitar and, if it's possible, I'm even worse at that then welding. That's saying something. I'm just not naturally talented.

That is the lesson I suppose. Start young and keep doing it.

Last edited: