• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Welding Class Info

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
There always seems to be a post or two about someone needing some welding done or are interested in learning how to weld so I thought I'd throw this out for the Clubs information.

I learned to weld from my dad and high school shop class over 40 years ago and have just played with it since. While I can melt metal and make a decent weld I've never had any formal education on how and why it does what it does so, I signed up for a Mig welding class at General Air in Denver.

The class runs $150 and all the instruction, safety gear, supplies and equipment are supplied. It's about 6 hours long plus an hour for lunch. They have a number of other classes (Tig, Migs, etc...) and offer them in different lengths and subject matter. I would say for this course you'd have to have some welding experience to fully enjoy it since you start welding 10 minutes after you get there. There was no material prep or design in this course either so you kinda have to know that before hand. Their facility, equipment and instruction was top notch. The facility is clean, professional and state of the art (lazer welding, CAD and robotic welding!)

I would say that I came out of the class with new knowledge of why a weld does what it does, the proper way to put a weld down the way the pros do it without all the loopy, ziz-zag, C-weld, etc.....BS stuff they show on youtube and the true science and structural reasoning behind why a weld works oh, and how and why you select the correct voltage and wire speed settings on the machine for the material your working with!

The instructor is a true pro and his teaching style was laid back and respectful of the adults in the room. The Welding Academy is at 8th and Zuni just of I-25 in downtown Denver and just a couple of blocks over from Federal (ton of restaurants for lunch).

In the end, I learned a ton and met a bunch of interesting and cool guys all doing this class for a dozen different reasons and now I have some new knowledge and confidence in my welding ability.....fwiw.
0E2542FC-0AD6-404C-9DE4-177B099C86D1.jpeg
A87C7AC4-B4AB-4675-A1DC-B793CB76D695.jpeg
46731727-5F37-46BE-B224-2A97A51D4765.jpeg
36981A49-4321-42CD-89C3-8880176B899A.jpeg
3C11400C-4BE7-442C-8BF8-A45B80A1CE3B.jpeg
D00048D0-868F-4015-9C9F-23853B98D709.jpeg
DF4B46BA-0624-4253-B241-AB3E63FA270D.jpeg
219B86FA-9DD5-4A60-8EDE-3DAE8ADF5114.jpeg
25136F7A-DB4A-4730-9024-61EF34AD2B93.jpeg
6E9073DB-DC90-4B32-BBAB-75CE89A54355.jpeg
6B6C1C3D-8873-4ACF-B792-89187E389D83.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
This is really cool Paul! I’ve been thinking about signing up for a class with them for a while now. Glad to hear your thoughts.

I think the only thing keeping me from taking a class is that I don’t have a welder at home to practice with.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
This is really cool Paul! I’ve been thinking about signing up for a class with them for a while now. Glad to hear your thoughts.

I think the only thing keeping me from taking a class is that I don’t have a welder at home to practice with.

Bring some beer over and we'll melt some metal with my mig or if you'd like to play with a flux-core mig I'll loan you my old one to play with.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I did a like 2 hour intro class once and really wish I knew more! Hopefully they have a more beginner class? Anyone else interested in these classes?

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I did a like 2 hour intro class once and really wish I knew more! Hopefully they have a more beginner class? Anyone else interested in these classes

That would be a brilliant idea to have a RS class of 10-12 members and have pizza brought in for lunch. The instructor is awesome (and an off-roader/camper) and I bet would be really receptive to discuss/teach vehicle welding applications (frame, sheet metal, bumpers, cages, etc….) as well.
I have his contact info if you wish to look into the idea.

Last edited:

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I’d be into a class. I’ve messed around with welding and own a mig machine but have ZERO training. I watched some YouTube videos and made a rear bumper for my 60. I should really do at least a crash course like this with a pro.

Should we have a roll call and try to do a group class for RS folks?

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I might be interested in this, definitely seems like I could save a lot of money doing WIY kits to build out my t4r more.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I would be in for a class. I have been interested in learning to weld for a while now. I wonder how many people we would need to have to get them to conduct a private class.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm definitely in

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
That would be a brilliant idea to have a RS class of 10-12 members and have pizza brought in for lunch. The instructor is awesome (and an off-roader/camper) and I bet would be really receptive to discuss/teach vehicle welding applications (frame, sheet metal, bumpers, cages, etc….) as well.
I have his contact info if you wish to look into the idea.
Sounds like you know the instructor to some extent, correct?

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like you know the instructor to some extent, correct?
Yes.
I suspect there is several ways the club could get this done.

1) The RS Event Coordinator (DomOfTheDead) could just call General Air and negotiate a private class.
2) The interested RS members could coordinate a date/time/class and sign up on-line.
3) I can give the Event Coordinator/interested R/S member the Instructor's name/cell phone number and they can call him to see about a private class.
4) I can give him a call and see what can be done for a private class and provide the info back here.

Happy to do whatever.

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Glad you had a positive experience. I went in to the 'advanced' class because by the description, it sounded like what I needed.

I walked in, and immediately the instructor was on me for not taking his intro class. I was picked on from then on. I went in and asked the instructor to critique my weld and got ignored. My welds were not perfect, but from what I saw, much better than the others in the room. I had them looking over my shoulder while he flapped his jaw. Not a course so much as playing with equipment that has been set up for you. I've been steering people clear ever since. This was years ago though so hopefully they changed it up.

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
I'm interested also.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I will look into a group rate. @BritKLR will you send me some of your contact info please?

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Glad you had a positive experience. I went in to the 'advanced' class because by the description, it sounded like what I needed.

I walked in, and immediately the instructor was on me for not taking his intro class. I was picked on from then on. I went in and asked the instructor to critique my weld and got ignored. My welds were not perfect, but from what I saw, much better than the others in the room. I had them looking over my shoulder while he flapped his jaw. Not a course so much as playing with equipment that has been set up for you. I've been steering people clear ever since. This was years ago though so hopefully they changed it up.

That does sound like it sucked.

I would repeat that for this course one should have some basic welding knowledge/experience otherwise it could go over ones head very quickly. Also, I asked a ton of questions during the course and the Instructor took the time to explain it to my and the other students satisfaction.

Last edited:

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like its gotten way better over the years. Wish I had access to a decent course back then, vs YouTube and learning from mistakes!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
FYI: I took a group of Boy Scouts there a few years ago to earn the welding merit badge. They do a great job with this.