we haven't had a tire thread in a while...

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

Attachments

• xtreme_all_terrain.jpg
    xtreme_all_terrain.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 305
  • pct_xt_mt.jpg
    pct_xt_mt.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 258

Vitesse_6

Wasatch Cruisers
I had a friend that had some pro comp's, They seemed to wear quickly as well as cupped, But that could have been his IFS at work :)
Im unsure of the others, Im more or less a AT tire person ;)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Or else it's the Cooper, Toyo, or TrXus..

Attachments

• discovererSTT2.jpg
    discovererSTT2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 365
  • toyojpg.gif
    toyojpg.gif
    25.9 KB · Views: 251
  • TrxusMT.jpg
    TrxusMT.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 263

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
criteria:

1. true 35 is desired.... if they rub I'll just lift more :D
2. Can't be any louder on the highway than a MTR, or TrXus, or bfg mud. I think TSL radials are DQ'd, for this reason.
3. Absolutely must balance and stay balanced. shaking at 60mph is unacceptable.

refer to Ken's "Cooper vs. Toyo" thread for a quick refresher on the leading candidates...

edit:

Oh yeah,

4. They need to WHEEL. no BFG AT's, Geolanders, etc...

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I had a friend that had some pro comp's, They seemed to wear quickly as well as cupped, But that could have been his IFS at work :)
Im unsure of the others, Im more or less a AT tire person ;)

hey how did you sneak in there.. :) were they the muds that cupped? or the older, BFG AT-lookalikes?

Those At's above are probably #5 on the list of 5 anyway.. :rolleyes:

Vitesse_6

Wasatch Cruisers
hey how did you sneak in there.. :) were they the muds that cupped? or the older, BFG AT-lookalikes?

Those At's above are probably #5 on the list of 5 anyway.. :rolleyes:

Dunno...Lucky I guess :thumb:
They were the older BFG look alikes...IIRC
I have Cooper Discoverer ATR's but quite a few of WC run the Cooper Mud
Sorry to butt in, However I have been very pleased with Cooper, Never been a fan of BFG.
Good luck

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
xtreme muds are currently backordered.

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
FZJ85_168.jpg

I haved them on the VlakVark. So far so good. They did good in Moab, but then anything does. I put on them on beadlocks and never even balanced them. There are little shakes, but not as much as one would expect from 37's.

Wear is pretty even but then I do not put a lot of miles on it.

I would go Toyo's if I were you. I just bought them since they were the cheapest 37 on a 16" wheel.

Tch2fly

Rising Sun Member
I am looking to make the upgrade to a more agressive tire and I like the Toyo but I have also looked at the Hankook MT RT03
rt03_tire_left.gif

I think they are fairly new to the market but does anybody have any experience with them?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Cool. I hadn't seen those Hankooks before, but like the looks. Their sizing chart says their 315 75 16 is 34.8.. that's pretty good. They look like a cross between the Toyo and an MT/R kinda.. hmm....

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Are your TrXus tires worn out? I thought you had mad love for 'em.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Are your TrXus tires worn out? I thought you had mad love for 'em.

Yeah they're great but I'm regearing to 4.88's tomorrow, so the reason not to get 35's is about to be erased....

Plus Ken's truck is bigger than mine. :mad: :rolleyes: :blah:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I like the Toyo MTs so far...Quiet (for a MT), balance well, yadda, yadda, yadda...

The other tire I considered was the MT Baja MTZ but no one in town had them and I needed tires FAST. Have you considered it? Not sure if they're 35 is a true 35 or not.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Well, you know trxus are out in big sizes if you don't want to stay on top of balancing. My 35's balance, but there's no way you can say it's not an issue to keep up with balancing on any big Interco tire. The pros you know: true 35", great all weather traction, sticky.

I'm still waiting for somebody who has run trxus and knows how they work in the snow to go Toyo. If they are as good, it's a no brainer given all reports are that they balance as well as an AT. The Toyo's are also big for a 315.

I continue to buy trxus for the snow - I get my family out in all weather conditions, and I won't trade balancing for a performance decrease in our variable snow conditions. "As good as BFG AT" doesn't cut it, because BFG AT's are average at best on hardpack and freeze up at around 25 degrees.

I go for a real winter use tire with family safety in mind that rock crawls and isn't too loud. So far, I haven't heard anything conclusive to say that tire still isn't trxus, but I am hoping to hear that Toyo may meet my needs.

Nemo

Trail Ready
I can tell you that the Toyo's balanced easily and are def. smoother than the Goodyear MTR's I had and so far much much quieter. Guess we shall see after about 10k on them, but that will be a long time from now. Only downfall to the Toyo's are that they aren't cheap, but I also don't know how much the Truxus ones are either so maybe they are a good price.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ben, how do you think those Maxxis tires could compare with the Toyos.. noise-wise and balance-wise? Any hunch? They do look pretty cool, I dunno it will take a lot to talk me out of the Toyos at this point.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Romer's Toyos rocked when I saw them. And I am a diehard MT/R guy!
Sounds like they have much to commend them.

FJBen

Ben, how do you think those Maxxis tires could compare with the Toyos.. noise-wise and balance-wise? Any hunch? They do look pretty cool, I dunno it will take a lot to talk me out of the Toyos at this point.

Honestly I don't know, they seem pretty good. All of their bias ply's have gotten really good reviews. If i were to guess, I would be that the Toyo's would be a smoother/better balanced tire. I don't even know if you can get the Trepadors easily as this point either, might be worth a call???

I just saw those and they look REALLY sweet :D I would definitely go for the toyo's as my #1 if I had to move quickly and couldn't find much other info out.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ummm... well.. yeah.

. you guys probably saw this coming... :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :blah: :blah: :D :D :D :D :blah: :blah: :D :D :D :D

Attachments

• nak_toyo_1.jpg
    nak_toyo_1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 118
  • nak_toyo_2.jpg
    nak_toyo_2.jpg