WARNING: Mini Truck Content: Fins n Things Disaster Prevention

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Well done Isaac. Probably the only person that will nice the "screw ups" is you.

What did you use to cut out the hitch hole? Cut off wheel?

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Yeah. In talking with drew a bit, then going back out and looking at it for a while, I've decided that it looks a lot better than i thought when looking at it in the low light last night. I'll notice the issues, but not a ton.

I've also decided on semi gloss.

I did indeed use a cut off wheel, and highly recommend it. It works AWESOME.

FWIW, every cut on this bumper was done with a 4.5" grinder with a cut off wheel. Nothing was done by saw.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Oh, and Drew, I saved my ears by wearing full on ear muff style protectors. They work wonders.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I think it looks great, most people are their own worst critics. I bet it looks AWESOME in person, I say go semi-gloss, flat tends to make things unfinished.

Drew

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, I think i was a bit too hard on myself. In re looking at it, I think it looks pretty good.

Semi Gloss it is!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
First class job. The 'go fast' holes in the gussets are of course absolutely required.

Just a thought on the corner protection: you need an additional leg to keep them from bending in. Otherwise you just have CDMs.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
First class job. The 'go fast' holes in the gussets are of course absolutely required.

Just a thought on the corner protection: you need an additional leg to keep them from bending in. Otherwise you just have CDMs.

Hmm, I'm not following that either. I can't really add much more, as the tailgate wont go down, and they are already close to the body.

Would it be on the inside of the hoop? sort of in between the legs.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the tube is 1/8", and the gussets are 3/16".

They are also not designed as full hit, more like "kiss" protection. I would like to avoid ever hitting those, but they are there to provide a margin of safety.

Of course go fast holes are required. Those should give me at least 20 rwhp, right? Or is that my blinker fluid? I can't keep them straight!!! :lmao:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
hmm may have you build my bumper too :) jk

looks sweet man, those hoops will help save that rear a lot i bet.

Nah, you can't beat what jed puts out. Just slap one of those on there, and you'll be set.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I think it looks great, most people are their own worst critics. I bet it looks AWESOME in person, I say go semi-gloss, flat tends to make things unfinished.

Drew

Nah - I say get it chrome-plated!:lmao:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Well, part of the effort was to avoid a jungle gym.

This isn't a rock crawler. It isn't likely to become one, but if it does, the bumper will get beefed.

I'm not actually too worried about CDM's. Here's why: Those of you who've seen the truck have seen the damage from a hit and run parking lot bump. Essentially my Driver rear fender was pushed in, and is wrinkled.

That alone is enough to total this thing. My insurance company rates my truck at a worth of 1300-1500 dollars. If any accident occurs, it would be cheaper to replace the entire quarter panel than to worry about any damage from the hoops.

All this isn't to say I don't appreciate the advice, I really want it. Just explaining my thinking.

Thanks again to all!

OH, AND THE MAIN REASON I'M POSTING: ITS AT POWDERCOAT!!!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You need a different insurance company!!

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I called yours.

When I told them how I'd heard of them, they ran away...Far, far away!!!!!

:D

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I have a question regarding the height of your bumper, in the last picture on the first page it shows the mounting brackets hanging pretty low. Is that correct or camera angle? Reason I ask is that I need to create a new rear bumper maybe and I need/want all the clearance I can get.

If it is correct that they are hanging low is there a reason for it or just your design. I like the whole bumper design especially the side panels. Another question, is the main part of the bumper as high as it can go before it would hit the tailgate?

I bet it turns out great when you get it back and mounted.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I called yours.

When I told them how I'd heard of them, they ran away...Far, far away!!!!!

:D
Nuh-uh.
I get to pay them more for a little while, they would be happy to take your money too. :lmao:
Seriously, Traveller's has been more than fair with me through the years, going far above and beyond, and I don't mind the slight raise in premium since the 'accident'.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I have a question regarding the height of your bumper, in the last picture on the first page it shows the mounting brackets hanging pretty low. Is that correct or camera angle? Reason I ask is that I need to create a new rear bumper maybe and I need/want all the clearance I can get.

If it is correct that they are hanging low is there a reason for it or just your design. I like the whole bumper design especially the side panels. Another question, is the main part of the bumper as high as it can go before it would hit the tailgate?

I bet it turns out great when you get it back and mounted.

Ah, sorry, had to check a few pages farther on. Those brackets were cut to fit to the bottom. I just hadn't done it yet on the first page.

As for the tail gate, yes, it is as high as it can go. There is about 1/8" between the tailgate and the bumper when there is a 220 lb man sitting on the tail gate. That is as close as I wanted it to get. The thickness of the main beam is 4", which is just enough to give a good amount of area to weld in a standard receiver hitch. You could go with a thinner beam if you didn't want the hitch.

Heres what it looks like now, finished.

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Looks great, I like the way it fits nice and tight. Did a great job, can't wait to see it in person.

As for me I will have to look elsewhere as i want more clearance. May just have to modify my tube bumper.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, this definetly has WAAYYY less clearance than a tube bumper.

I like the tube bumpers, but just don't feel that they offer enough protection for DD trucks.

Plus, its not really needed, since I don't really wheel trails where the rear clearance is a deciding factor on me completing the trail.

Thanks though!

Unfortunately, It is very unlikely that this will be done in time for the meeting. But, for the next one!