To ham or not to ham, that is the question....

Your future with 4 wheeling communication

• The future is here, toss the CB and only use ham

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I want both a CB and a ham radio in my truck NOW!

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Ham is cool but I have no plans on getting into it

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Someday I might go ham but I will still keep my CB.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Ham is ghey

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • CB's are for loud mouth geeks who like to hear their own voice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Communication on the trail....why? (no transceiver)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
This is a private poll so folks can vote freely and honestly and only the vote will show. :thumb:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Really private, I guess. :thumb:

I Ham, and I think you should if you can. I'm not enough of a Ham bigot, yet, to say "Dump the CB". I will probably run both in my 40 just so I can talk to the CBer's as well as Hams when on runs.

Is Ham better? The short answer is yes. With essentially similar components you have much longer range with 2m than CB. And the Ham repeater system adds a whole dimension not available with CB. It's a lot harder to sit in my garage and talk to, say Farnham, in Vail over a CB than it is a 2m Ham radio. And if you decide to build on the Ham hobby you can literally talk around the world from your back yard. Again, a lot harder if not impossible with CB.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have both and will keep both. What is it Cheesman says? he doesn't need a winch because someone he wheels with always does.

Lots of folks will keep running CBs and as trail leaders in Moab we need to keep the CBs as most folks there have one. The HAM comes in useful to talk to base or other members on other trails. Or you can have a conversation with someone without talking to the entire group on the trail.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The poll has a bit of a hole. There's no option for keeping the CB only because of the dinosaurs. ;-) I don't plan to rip it out, but it pretty much only gets used on club runs. Most of the non-4WD people I hang out with use ham or at least FRS. But in fairness we're talking about cyclists, skiers, hikers, etc. So a CB is just impractical to keep in a backpack. Not impossible, just less good.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
The added range and benefit of Ham is indisputable, but CB is still the LCD on the trails. Having both makes the most sense, but for someone who can't even figure out where to put on radio in his truck, installing two becomes a real challenge.

And it sucks to be the only guy out on the trail with a Ham if everyone else is talking on CB.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I'm really enjoying these debates on radios! I think it is an important subject for the club to think about. We have other bogus debates like my truck is better because.... but this is a real topic that will come up a lot in the future. If you look at other club forums this issue is obviously wide spread. There is at least one club in TLCA that this subject has got way out of hand and folks are taking hard sides. The more we communicate these real issues the better and stronger our club will be from it as we know and respect each others feelings! Keep it going and please be honest about how you feel! :thumb: :risingsun

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Trichinosis is no longer a threat from American ham and pork :lmao:

wait....what were you talking about? :p:

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
My CB is also a compass, and weather radio.

Is there a cheap ham/CB radio/compass/weather radio? What's the difference in hardware between a HAM radio and a CB radio?

Should I hold out a little longer with just a CB until we are all talking via bluetooth headsets linked to a satelite based VOIP system?
Isn't the internet based on packet radio technology anyway?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
No one I wheel with outside Rising Sun has ham. Trichinosis or not. It's usefulness is beyond dispute particularly in an emergency. But as stated, CB is still the LCD, and useful for highway trips for road info.

A radio may be technically superior but it has to reach a critical mass of users and ease of casual operation to be useful for chit-chat, spotting instructions, etc. One of ham's limitations seems to me to be one of its strengths: the signal travels a LONG way. A CB signal stays pretty much within the group. Unless I am missing something, which seems likely since I know nothing about ham really.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Is there be a cheap ham/CB radio/compass/weather radio? What's the difference in hardware between a HAM radio and a CB radio?

Should I hold out a little longer with just a CB until we are all talking via bluetooth headsets linked to a satelite based VOIP system?
Dunno about a compass, I just carry one of those. But just about every single 2 meter ham radio can receive the weather bands. There's only 9 frequencies and the one in Denver is 162.550 MHz. Beyond, most radios made in the last decade or so will do what's call wide band receive, which means they can pick up frequencies way beyond where they can transmit. The radio I have is sort of lower middle quality and can receive aircraft bands, weather, commercial, public safety (even hear the National Park Service, BLM and USFS radios), FRS, GMRS. I can only transmit on the ham bands, but I can listen to just about every radio that transmits from 108MHz to 999MHz (with a handful of off limit bands, like cell phones).

Ask the people down in New Orleans how counting on stuff like VoIP and cell phones worked out. Only the ham guys were getting messages in and out...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Dunno about a compass, I just carry one of those. But just about every single 2 meter ham radio can receive the weather bands. There's only 9 frequencies and the one in Denver is 162.550 MHz. Beyond, most radios made in the last decade or so will do what's call wide band receive, which means they can pick up frequencies way beyond where they can transmit. The radio I have is sort of lower middle quality and can receive aircraft bands, weather, commercial, public safety (even hear the National Park Service, BLM and USFS radios), FRS, GMRS. I can only transmit on the ham bands, but I can listen to just about every radio that transmits from 108MHz to 999MHz (with a handful of off limit bands, like cell phones).

Ask the people down in New Orleans how counting on stuff like VoIP and cell phones worked out. Only the ham guys were getting messages in and out...

Dave,
I don't think other than by friendly taunting anyone disputes the utility of ham radio. They play an important role in worldwide communication on both surface and air. The debate for us as "responsible off-highway enthusiasts" is whether every rig out there needs to have 2 meter communication in addition to OR instead of Citizen band radios. I think it is a no-brainer that most all agree that EVERY rig needs some type of communication!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
No one I wheel with outside Rising Sun has ham. Trichinosis or not. It's usefulness is beyond dispute particularly in an emergency. But as stated, CB is still the LCD, and useful for highway trips for road info.

A radio may be technically superior but it has to reach a critical mass of users and ease of casual operation to be useful for chit-chat, spotting instructions, etc. One of ham's limitations seems to me to be one of its strengths: the signal travels a LONG way. A CB signal stays pretty much within the group. Unless I am missing something, which seems likely since I know nothing about ham really.
No argument, CB isn't at a point where we can just throw it out. It's too prevalent in the 4WD community to consider it. But it's usefulness overall is pretty limited to us and OTR trucks. I think when the FCC dropped the Morse requirement for ham, it became much more attractive to casual users. I'm not a big time ham hobbyist like a few of the guys, I just use it as a tool since we travel alone a lot and CB is all but useless since no one with authority monitors it. At least with ham you have the option of an autopatch or getting another ham with a phone. But that's really the key, ham can scale from just a glorified CB to the most complex installation you want. Really, in its most basic form, a 2m single band radio, the only difference on the trail will be that you technically need to say your call sign every 10 minutes and your radio requires a bit of programming. It's seriously no tougher than programming a phone or something.

Dave,
I don't think other than by friendly taunting anyone disputes the utility of ham radio. They play an important role in worldwide communication on both surface and air. The debate for us as "responsible off-highway enthusiasts" is whether every rig out there needs to have 2 meter communication in addition to OR instead of Citizen band radios. I think it is a no-brainer that most all agree that EVERY rig needs some type of communication!
I know, just saying that maybe it's time that we stop telling new guys to install a CB. If there's a better option, you gotta make a break from the old ways at some point and so if we get a few more guys off the dime maybe we won't need to have newbies even bother with a CB.

Just thinking about 2009 when the old way of TV will stop working. I dunno, it's possible I'm the only goofball still using rabbit ears, but I won't have a choice when the old FM transmitters are turned off and digital TV is the only option. I figure it's like that with hams in 4WD trucks. Personally I think GMRS makes the most sense, but it seems ham has sort of become the next thing, which is fine.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I can't edit the post questions but the 4th one should read "Someday I might go ham but I will still keep my cb."

I tried to cover all true bases but I screwed up that verbiage.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Is there a cheap ham/CB radio/compass/weather radio? What's the difference in hardware between a HAM radio and a CB radio? CB radio is rigidly regulated by the FCC in what can be part of a CB transciever. They have a limit of 5 watts. They can utilize primarily the following modes:AM, USB or LSB. HAM will be superior technology and all modes avaialble.

Amateur Radio Service is more centered around the tinkering and experimental, so less regulation on equipment is present. Power is limited to 1500 watts, and RF exposure levels can be things of debate as well as show stoppers. Those are primarily for safety.

Should I hold out a little longer with just a CB until we are all talking via bluetooth headsets linked to a satelite based VOIP system? Yaesu makes a dual bander that is bluetooth compatible. Many repeaters today use VOIP in the form of either Echolink or IRLP(Internet Radio Linking Project). That means that anyone who can befirend a member of a VOIP node can talk to austrailia if they want to, with the same radio as we're talking about putting in the trucks.

Isn't the internet based on packet radio technology anyway?Yes. Email primarily. Cell Phone technology can be traced back to Amateur tinkering as well.

One of ham's limitations seems to me to be one of its strengths: the signal travels a LONG way. A CB signal stays pretty much within the group. Unless I am missing something, which seems likely since I know nothing about ham really.
Both are exactly the same in how they work. CB is limited due to its frequency in relation to the size of antennas commonly used. For a more efficient setup, the antenna should be upwards of 120" for a vertical(whip). That is primarily why CB is limited in its distance. VHF(2M) Ranges from 30 to 100 miles depending on terrain and atmospherical conditions. Both CB and HAM distances are directly related between wavelength and frequency. This relation, mixed with the antenna setup is what gives each their limitations in terms of distance between stations.

Just thinking about 2009 when the old way of TV will stop working. I dunno, it's possible I'm the only goofball still using rabbit ears, but I won't have a choice when the old FM transmitters are turned off and digital TV is the only option. I figure it's like that with hams in 4WD trucks. Personally I think GMRS makes the most sense, but it seems ham has sort of become the next thing, which is fine.

I just got done installing an Air antenna in the attic. Not rabbit ears, but it shows you where you stand when everybody is talking about their MTV Road Rules Survivor Challenge. I did hear that those of us who have non-HD reciever ready TVs will get coupons toward buying a converter box in 2009 to offset the expense. This is so that the Gubment can justify taking away a technology and replacing it with another.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Yabut, don't things get cluttered with a bunch of 4x4 groups doing their inane chatting on the trail and somebody across town trying to use the same frequency gets irritated? CBs fall off pretty quickly, keeping things more private and less intrusive in such a situation, no?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yabut, don't things get cluttered with a bunch of 4x4 groups doing their inane chatting on the trail and somebody across town trying to use the same frequency gets irritated? CBs fall off pretty quickly, keeping things more private and less intrusive in such a situation, no?

That's why you have so many channels, and also why you limit your transmit power to the lowest necessary to still communicate. There's a National calling frequency for simplex (146.520) that is similar to CB's channel 19... there are the repeaters around town that are more popular and allow you to talk across town & beyond, and there are the repeaters that are tied into the Colorado network that allow you to talk across the state, especially on the I-70 corridor.

When on the trail, we wouldn't use any of these. The "official" Rising Sun simplex frequency is 146.460, which we borrowed from the Norcal80's guys. But if that channel was busy for some reason, no reason for the group to not pop up to 146.475, or 146.490, or whatever until we didn't run into anyone. It's going to be fun at the Rubithon this summer on 2m, since Norcal will no doubt be on 146.460, RS will be on another frequency, another group on another, etc. We'll be talking back & forth among groups all day, even when miles apart.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I can't edit the post questions but the 4th one should read "Someday I might go ham but I will still keep my cb."

I tried to cover all true bases but I screwed up that verbiage.

Fixed it for you in the poll.

I can tell you that the HAM is very useful when you get out and about and away from the rest of the world and need some help.

Expense is no longer an excuse. $14 license, $120 Yaesu 2M, $35 mag mount antenna, and you have a basic set up. That is less than the cost of 3 tanks of gas.

No more crackling garbage messages, no more half of the radios not working, no more having to worry about the local trucks interrupting your transmissions.

And best of all, unlike most of the CBs out there, you can buy radios that are not made in China :)