Tires again....

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Well I was looking for the Yokohama IT and they no longer make them in the 315 size, I am bummed. Sean (mtnrat) in Fernie BC spoke highly of them, and how great they were in his conditions. If the Green Diamond tire was in the size I would pop for a set. Wanted a deticated snow and ice tire for the wife to have on the cruiser. So I am looking for a decitated snow and ice rated tire for driving up and down the hill. Any how If i find what I want I will let you know. The ice is finally off the road (sunshine canyon) and down to dry pavement. But the dirt roads up here are still snow packed. What I found interesting is the roads have never been plowed around flatirons school(were ty goes to school). Just the main drags and no other roads. It has been a fun mess to drive around in. later Robbie

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Nokian makes the Vatiiva in a 315/75r16

Attachments

• vatiiva.jpg
    vatiiva.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 179

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Yes I had heard of this tire as well. It is only a AT, not a snow and ice tire. But the tread is really nice with lots of sipes. It does chart out as a 34.8 tire with out load. It is a nice choice, with a quote of $247 on the rim. I will look a bit longer for other options. Thanks for pointing it out. later Robbie

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Trxus MT's are unbelievable in the snow, including icy hardpack. Good soft compound and a ton of siping on the inner treads. I won't run anything else - BFG AT's are not anywhere near this class of snow performance.

Attachments

• trxus MT.jpg
    trxus MT.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 162

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Been there, done that. They sucked for keeping balanced and were real heavy. Sucked some fue ecomany. I had days of the flat spotting real bad, never could get a real good tire pressure. I tried these when they first came out and the quailty control may not of been as good. But for a daily driving tire, it is not what I want. I have 36'' swampers for the hard stuff, do not need to try them again. I know Kevin has used them with great success, but only get about 20k or so out of them, That is not real good for a daily driving tire. Good choice for you maybe, but does not fit my needs. Thanks Robbie

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Almost went into the back end of an Audi yesterday. Turned left going less than 5 mph, truck no turn, heart rate hit max rate. Time to buy. I'm going bfg AT. Gotta be a good hwy tire, and everything runs well in Moab. I'm trying to get them on before snow and pizza.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Been there, done that. They sucked for keeping balanced and were real heavy. Sucked some fue ecomany. I had days of the flat spotting real bad, never could get a real good tire pressure. I tried these when they first came out and the quailty control may not of been as good. But for a daily driving tire, it is not what I want. I have 36'' swampers for the hard stuff, do not need to try them again. I know Kevin has used them with great success, but only get about 20k or so out of them, That is not real good for a daily driving tire. Good choice for you maybe, but does not fit my needs. Thanks Robbie

My buds in SD swear by the Cepek Fun Country ll's for all terrain and snow tire. I will be running them next summer for my dd light wheeling tires.

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
So far in the snow and ice, the Maxxis Bighorns have done pretty well for being a MT.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Done today. BFG AT ko 295.75.R16 D $200 each. Ran great the 5 miles I drove them home. Get to test them for real sat at Snow & pizza. Big-O sent me on my way with 47psi each. Very happy with the service. Let my kids roll 21's around the store and climb all over the bling rims without giving me a lecture. Gave kids baloons, even replacements when they went to the ceiling. Even got 2 littl'o stuffed toys to play with. Even have road side assistance if I get a flat. I'll call them from the top of Battlement Mesa next flat just for a laugh.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
I wish i had the money to get rid of my gy mtrs...i hate these. i've had good luck with bfg's except for their stupid new "rim protector". won't run them again until they get rid of that. thinking toyo's, but i'll have to check out that green diamond.

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
Well...
with BFG MTs, my powerhouse 3.0 4Runner (Red Chili I) had no problem scaring the crap out of me. Especially when trying to stop!

fj40 had BfG MT, horrible on icy pavement...

I've got the old style BFG MT's - 33x12.5

Day after Christmas was fairly slick up here. I was heading out of the neighborhood, the 40 was stone cold, I was in 2nd gear going slow to warm her up.

A small-ish dog darted out in front of me, I hit the brakes - all 4 lock up.

Long story short, I ran over the dog with the rear wheel. :(