Tires again....

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
My tires, Nitto TG 297 75 16 have 37k on them and are getting down to 1/8-3/16 tread. I figure I can drive them another 5-7k. They definatly are not as good in the snow as the last 2 winters. Would you wait 'till spring and replace them then? or suck it up and replace them now. Think I'm going BFG AT 295 75 16. at $194 each. That new BFG m2? won't be available untill 10/08 can't wait that long. Kind of want a mud tire but seems like they all blow on icy pavement. :blah::blah::blah:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
My tires, Nitto TG 297 75 16 have 37k on them and are getting down to 1/8-3/16 tread. I figure I can drive them another 5-7k. They definatly are not as good in the snow as the last 2 winters. Would you wait 'till spring and replace them then? or suck it up and replace them now. Think I'm going BFG AT 295 75 16. at $194 each. That new BFG m2? won't be available untill 10/08 can't wait that long. Kind of want a mud tire but seems like they all blow on icy pavement. :blah::blah::blah:

I think only the 15" rims are delayed in being released, I think the 16s should be around. Have you checked locally? Reviews are making them seem like they are a good tire.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
The BFG AT Ko's are a great tire. We have them on 3 of our vehicles. Great snow and wheeling tires.

My truck has Toyo MTRs because I wanted something a bit more aggresive offroad. These are awesome in the snow, but wear a lot faster than the BFG AT KO.

We put together this FAQ on tires thats really generic to any 4WD. Maybe you will find something useful here

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=114057

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I'm pretty sure the smallest you can get on the KM2 right now for a 16 is a 315. I know for a fact that the 315s are out and being sold.

The AT's are a good tire. I'm hearing that the Nittos are a better street performer though. Offroad the BFG seems still to have a slight edge, but most are claiming that the Nitto is far superior onroad.

Just my internet webwheeling experience though. I've only ever owned BFG's and love them.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I don't share Ken's opinion on the BFG AT's. Personally I would never run them again. I do not like them in the snow. They are good when new but after 5-8K they loose their grip. Also suck when the temp drops down like today.

I've spoke with a number of people running the DC Fun Country II's up here and they seem to like them in the snow.

Did you not like your Nitto's? Why won't you buy them again?

I'd also replace them now if you use the 100 as the family truck.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Though this varies from what some of you cruiser guys claim, I find my MT/Rs to be superior snow and ice tires without siping even. It's what sold me on them. I find BFG AT KOs to be just OK in comparison. Not bad, but not as good.

It must be a cruiser thing. I wouldn't understand. :lmao:

BFG MTs (the design only recently replaced, can't speak to the new ones) suck until siped.

Just saying that MTs do not necessarily suck on ice, and if they do, sometimes fixing that is simple.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I think it has to do with power, personally.

Seems everyone who has big power has issues with the BFG's. Not always, but seems to be the trend.

Let me put it this way. In order for mine to loose traction, on any icy or slick surface, I have to do one of two things. I have to put it in 2wd, down shift, and gun the motor to 4k to get them to kick out in the rear. OR, alternatively, I have to get a bit of speed, and then STAND on the brakes to slide out. In 4wd, on empty roads and streets, I've played around a bit, and the thing will not lose it.

I'm telling you, 95 horse is where it's at. Just enough power to go forward, but not enough to break anything, or lose control.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well...
with BFG MTs, my powerhouse 3.0 4Runner (Red Chili I) had no problem scaring the crap out of me. Especially when trying to stop! Siping made them behave. Like, right about how MT/Rs behave *without* siping.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I *love* my MT/Rs in the snow/ice. Can't say enough about them. 'Cept I don't drive the truck enough to worry about mileage. I think I'm averaging 4-5K a year so obviously YMMV.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
BFG MT/R's have served me well over the years. Ice ,Snow,Mud and Rocks they seem to hold up very well and provide good traction in most conditions. I have had them siped and not siped and prefer them unsiped. (spelling?) I am looking at looking at Swamper Trex MT's and BFG KM2"s when I go to 35"S
Just my 2 cents
Dan:thumb:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Get some new tread for the winter and keep the old ones. Throw the old ones back on next spring and wear 'em out over the summer, then switch back to your new tires :D

FWIW, I REALLY like my Toyo MTs (siped). They've been great in everything from the blizzards last year, through Moab and the summer, and so far this year. Biggest con is how heavy they are.

My :Princess:'s 80 will need new tires in the not too distant future but since her 80 is strictly an on road vehicle I'll probably give the Bridgestone AT REVOs another go. I had them on both my old Durango and Liberty and they did just fine. I was contemplating the BFG ATs but there seems to be no consensus on those for a heavy vehicle like the 80. I'd put the Toyo MTs on the 80 in a heartbeat if it weren't for the weight and $$ factor.

On a side/funny note I saw a vehicle the other day with Michellin LTXs that had been siped. Those suckers come from the factory with pretty serious siping as it is. Seemed like overkill but who knows...

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
The BFG AT Ko's are a great tire.

x2, at least on my tow rig. Even with 40K on them, I was the first one out of the hood when it snowed 30" last December. (Having an 8000lb truck helps.) I much prefer my new E-rated ones to the D-rated ones for towing, though.

Mark

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Well...
with BFG MTs, my powerhouse 3.0 4Runner (Red Chili I) had no problem scaring the crap out of me. Especially when trying to stop! Siping made them behave. Like, right about how MT/Rs behave *without* siping.

Yeah, I've heard the MTs are much worse. Never driven them. Only the AT's.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Loved the Nitto's for the 1st 30k. Got the nitto's from Discount tire and couldn't have been happier with them(nitto and Discount). But it's 100+ miles from my house. Big O just opened 5 min down the road. I had bfg at on my taco and liked them. fj40 had BfG MT, horrible on icy pavement. I think I want something more agressive and would buy that new m2 based on the marketing materials I've read so far, some might call them reviews.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My BFG ATs are getting towards the end of their life, but they've still been solid and grippy in the recent snow and ice. I've been surprised and pleased.

Spiderlegs

Wincher
Green Diamond Tires

Green Diamond may or may not have the size you are looking for but are one of the coolest tires available. Sold Through Big O and also their Wholesaler which is Performance Wheel and Tire. They have only a few different tread designs but the cool factor is the thousands of industrial diamonds molded into the tread for added traction. Do a search of Green Diamond tires. I am putting them on everything I own that they will have a size for.
Neil O'Malley

Magoo

dont leave out the cooper stt's.i had em on my taco last winter and LOVED EM!they went everywhere i pointed the truck.deep snow,ice,rain.great tire, i will be putting them on the 85 hopefully.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Goodyear Wranglers worked pretty well on the 'burb last winter coming back from Ouray in the thick of the first big snowstorm. Got back into town with 18" of snow on the road and just kept driving through everything.

wesintl

RS Moderator
What's the tire ben has on his 100, gy a/t extreme? I've always been impressed with where they go offroad and of course it's on the street and goes skiing alot. I dunno if he would recommend them or not.