Tire recommendations?

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I say 40” Super Swaper TSL’s!

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
@Hulk let me know how you like the toyos I also need new shoes for the 80 in that size this year.

I had gone through 2 sets of duratracs but it is now discontinued in that size and I have a different winter commuter.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I am also looking at getting some new tires although 285/75/16s. Leaning towards a M/T since I don't really drive my cruiser a ton in the winter. I may also keep my best few KO2's, which aren't that worn down and add a couple more later to be my "winter" tires if I get too sketched out by M/Ts in the winter.

Currently leaning strongly towards the Yokohama G003s. Anyone else besides @RayRay27 run these and have any thoughts?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Got my new tires on Friday! The ride improvement was noticeable immediately.

I finally retired my 2008 MTZ as my spare.

IMG_6730.jpeg

IMG_6731.jpeg

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
But, how do they smell? Like a new tire should? 😉

Oh hell yeah!

Tell me about the valve stems:p

They are just the standard rubber valve stems. I never get anything fancy since if they can flex, they (hopefully) won't break off when I drag them across a giant rock.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
They are just the standard rubber valve stems. I never get anything fancy since if they can flex, they (hopefully) won't break off when I drag them across a giant rock.

Everyone should have some of these in their trail kit. Makes a broken valve stem a 5 min fix. In my experience they work as advertisied.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Everyone should have some of these in their trail kit. Makes a broken valve stem a 5 min fix. In my experience they work as advertisied.

Gonna have to look into those.

Was doing a search on the forum and it looks like you have been running G003 MTs for awhile. Still running them? Still happy?

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
@Hulk what was your overall opinion of the STT pro? Was it good but just got noisy after a while. I have been eying that and the STT Maxx quite a bit. The Maxx has some good reviews on MUD and it looks more like a AT / MT hybrid than a true MT.

I had to admit it but I currently have duratracs on 3 vehicles and 5 old ones being used as a barrier to prevent people from driving onto our septic tank in winter. There are currently 19 duratracs in my driveway......... I admit I have a problem and need to put a different tire on the 80. Really considering going with a MT since I have the mini truck as a winter commuter now. In my defense I bought the mini truck with duratracs on it already.

The 315 duratracs have been discontinued so I no longer have an excuse to just keep getting the same tires. I am kicking myself for not doing a 5 tire rotation though. I now have a tire that has never touched pavement in a size that has been discontinued..... Will never make that mistake again.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
@Hulk what was your overall opinion of the STT pro? Was it good but just got noisy after a while. I have been eying that and the STT Maxx quite a bit. The Maxx has some good reviews on MUD and it looks more like a AT / MT hybrid than a true MT.

I didn't love the Cooper STT tires at the end, but I thought they were fine the first few years. I've found that I need to replace tires every 5-6 years. Tires on my 80 seem to wear somewhat unevenly so the truck gets squirrelly on the road by year 5. That happened with my last set of BFG KO2s to some degree but it was really bad with the STTs.

I'm replacing the tie rod and tie rod ends on my 80 and getting it aligned later this week in the hopes that maybe I can fix some of this. Based on the way my new tires are driving, I don't think my 80 is much out of alignment right now. It may just be that a big heavy 80 with an ARB bumper and an M12000 winch hanging off the front is going to chew through tires no matter what.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Good to know thanks for the feedback. I got pretty even wear on my current set and they are just about 5 years old with over 50k on them now.