Timmbuck2 finally has a 40 again...

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, still not quite over losing that 1964 red FJ40, but I am hoping this 1972 Blue FJ40 will help ease the sting. :)

Picked this up from a club member: https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/1971-fj40-original-drivetrain-running-gear.34183/

From the ad:
What I've done so far:
- I removed the gnarly wheel/tire set up the prior owner had on it (Bald 35" mud tires and 12.5 wide wheels) and put on a brand new set of 5 mud tires I had here at the house.
- I removed the non factory seats that appeared to be out of a 280zx and threw in some sport buckets from Jegs.
- Installed a reproduction rear view mirror.
- Swapped out the plugs/ wires.
- Swapped out the cheap fuel filter with an OEM unit.
- Installed a full soft top kit with full soft doors (zipper windows).
- Just because we all hate the diamond plate and I just had to know, I removed the drivers side to check for rust (there wasn't any) and then reinstalled it. I believe the prior owner did a TON of rust mitigation, possibly a re-tub.

What does it need:
- Turn signals are hit or miss
- Brake booster has a vacuum leak (hissing noise while the brake is not being depressed) but the brakes work fine.
- Transfer case output shaft seal is leaking onto the parking brake drum and the shoes are soaked. Parking brake will not function due to this.
- It does NOT like to start below 50 degrees for some reason (Carb?) but the choke cable is not installed to the throttle body. I have a video from 3 days ago when it was 55 degrees out and she fires RIGHT UP!
- The drivers fender met a rock wall with the prior owner so that should be addressed if it bothers you.

Zepp helpfully pointed out that "The valve cover is from a 2F. Looks like a Weber carb? Webers don't have a manually operated choke, they have an electric choke that opens as it warms up." Not sure if that explains the hard starting, but probably a good place to start! :)

I ordered new front turn signals as the ones included had the bulbs and wires missing and were in not great shape. Also ordered a new front bumper. It is kinda cool to order brand new factory parts for a 50+ year old truck!

Once I get the turn signals sorted out, I think priority one is to figure out the brake master hissing sound. Brakes work great (but pull to the right so prob need some adjustments) and there seems to be no correlation between the hiss and the brakes, other than the hiss usually goes away when brakes are applied.

Second is to lower the driver's seat!!! Seems to be higher than usual, plus the seats are tall, leaving me almost no room for my not insignificant legs, and I am left staring at the top of the windshield frame.

Taking the soft top off asap (I hate the Jeep style) and putting a bikini top on. Love to find a hard top. Hard doors are in decent shape.

Want to remove the diamond plate if it is clean underneath.

The lift seems to be Rancho shocks and maybe Skyjacker leafs? A good 4 inch lift. Damn rough ride for sure, looking to replace it with something less bouncy. I have driven 40's before, this is just a little too much. :)

In no particular order, disc brakes, power steering, hard top, fix ride issues/lift, bigger tires if the lift stays. 4 speed! Although there is an H55F with FJ40 tcase on FB marketplace....

Comments, insults, etc all welcome! With just a little work I can make it to a 40's only run again!!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The lift seems to be Rancho shocks and maybe Skyjacker leafs? A good 4 inch lift. Damn rough ride for sure, looking to replace it with something less bouncy. I have driven 40's before, this is just a little too much. :)
Those suspension parts are so vintage that the Land Cruiser police may require you to preserve them for historical purposes. It's like how finding a pop top in your campsite used to be trash but now it's an artifact that should be protected in situ for future generations.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
OK finally had some time to drive this beast and here is what I am planning to do...

The ride sucks, even for a 40. Very harsh. @rckhound is selling an Alcan 4" lift with Rancho shocks that sounds like a smoother ride...although I currently have Rancho shocks and I think the springs are Skyjacker. Any thoughts?

Darn seat is too high...my legs barely fit under the steering wheel. Aftermarket seats (Jegs?) are pretty comfy but I need more room. Bracket looks very strange. (yeah, one end is an inch above the floor...) Any ideas on a better seat bracket? (pics attached)

First off, need to work on the brake lights, turn signals, mirrors. All are currently missing, broken, or both. Then brakes. :) And get back to 35's...the 31's look a little silly...

poser shots from the rising sun meeting last night.

oh yeah another big thing to do before I wheel it, the e-brake is not working, oil soaked from leaking tcase seal. Guessing I should fix the leak before replacing the ebrake drum etc?

Attachments

• PXL_20230803_191810916.jpg
    PXL_20230803_191810916.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20230803_191753717.jpg
    PXL_20230803_191753717.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20230731_164204859.jpg
    PXL_20230731_164204859.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20230803_165227453.jpg
    PXL_20230803_165227453.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20230803_165221734.jpg
    PXL_20230803_165221734.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 81
  • PXL_20230803_012140504.jpg
    PXL_20230803_012140504.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20230803_012132710.jpg
    PXL_20230803_012132710.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20230803_011809053.jpg
    PXL_20230803_011809053.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 99
  • PXL_20230803_011800743.jpg
    PXL_20230803_011800743.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20230803_011644718.jpg
    PXL_20230803_011644718.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 105

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Congrats!!!!

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Don who owns the gray pimmer 1/2 cab 40 in the photo told me he has a top he is looking to sell at last month's meeting. PM me and I can give you his number. No idea on condition.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
OK finally had some time to drive this beast and here is what I am planning to do...

The ride sucks, even for a 40. Very harsh. @rckhound is selling an Alcan 4" lift with Rancho shocks that sounds like a smoother ride...although I currently have Rancho shocks and I think the springs are Skyjacker. Any thoughts?

Darn seat is too high...my legs barely fit under the steering wheel. Aftermarket seats (Jegs?) are pretty comfy but I need more room. Bracket looks very strange. (yeah, one end is an inch above the floor...) Any ideas on a better seat bracket? (pics attached)

First off, need to work on the brake lights, turn signals, mirrors. All are currently missing, broken, or both. Then brakes. :) And get back to 35's...the 31's look a little silly...

poser shots from the rising sun meeting last night.

oh yeah another big thing to do before I wheel it, the e-brake is not working, oil soaked from leaking tcase seal. Guessing I should fix the leak before replacing the ebrake drum etc?
Skyjacker springs are stiff AF, and bring the suck in my opinion. I would go for the Alcan's if they are still available.
Definitely fix the tcase leak before you fix the parking brake.
As for seat bracket, take out that huge spacer??

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Don who owns the gray pimmer 1/2 cab 40 in the photo told me he has a top he is looking to sell at last month's meeting. PM me and I can give you his number. No idea on condition.
Thanks! I remember talking to him a little about that top but I didn't get the info. 🙄😁

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
You can delete his number now!

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Slightly distracted by the 'new' 40, but need to keep working on the 72 so I can drive it to the 40s only run.

So far I installed new side mirrors and rearview mirror, have the original tail lights and reflectors but they don't fit the current bumper. Have to figure that out. I installed the new turn signals but they still don't work right and I have no tail lights or brake lights. The turn signal switch is pretty toast, have a new one ordered.

Also ordered a new rear tcase double seal and parking drums from Mudrak and hope to get that all done this week so I can do a shake down run next weekend.

The new 70 will have to wait...but it is so rust free but taken all apart so I might do a semi frame off and paint it first. I'll start a new thread for it eventually

Attachments

• PXL_20230921_175255651.jpg
    PXL_20230921_175255651.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 66

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
OK my main issue right now is the brake lights and turn signals. UGH.

So when I bought it, the front turn signals were not hooked up. I bought brand new ones and hooked everything up, pretty straight forward. Here is what happens....

No brake lights, tail lights, or rear turn signals. The right side worked before I hooked the new turn signals up. I checked fuses and bulbs and connections.

Left turn signal doesn't work unless you hold it down harder, but then the left marker light and the headlights slightly dim as the flasher clicks. Nothing at all happens with the right turn signal.

I have read all the wiring for tail lights and turn signals run through the turn signal switch, and the left turn signal doesn't do anything until I hold it down harder. Could the switch be my issue?

Or where the heck do I even start? I need brake lights!!!

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Have you checked the ground for these systems and the cleaned the bulb sockets. They have a tendency to corrode over time and can cause a lot of phantom issues.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I kinda got the lights to kinda work, but the fuses keep blowing. I looked for a short and didn't see anything obvious. I did clean up a ground connection and the turn signals are much brighter now, when they work. Finding a new turn signal switch as it is obvious this one has issue. I wonder if the short is in the switch? Of course this 40 is one of the few that have the weird interim turn signal switch in 1971 and it is discontinued. See some on eBay though....

I was able to get the double seal tcase output shaft housing installed. Unfortunately I could not get the parking brake cable re-attached to the drum. It seemed really short and I could not get the spring compressed easily enough to attach. After messing with it for 45 minutes, I had to give up and get everything bolted back together. I will dig into it again this winter and prob just buy a new cable.

All told, she drove beautifully today on the 40's Only Run.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Aaaaaaaaaaaand it's already leaking again. Puked a cup or two on the driveway, drip from the bottom of the parking brake drum. Sigh I knew I needed to go in there again when I get the new parking brake cable, but already? Plenty of other leaks too though so will have to do some deals this winter, as soon as I get a garage back.