Thor's Lighting compressors, anyone use one?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
With the black Friday sale I'm considering picking up a compressor. I'm still using a Powertank which works great but the cost of refills sucks and my tank is due for a hydrostatic test again. So the ROI of a modern compressor is looking favorable. Who has a Thor's unit and do you like it? Anything you don't like? Thanks.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I’m interested to know as well. I’m also curious if the additional cost for the “total control” compressor is worth it.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I use the 4 way air hose. and its pretty nice. I have played with the compressor, and it's great quality. It wont give you quite the air pressure that a tank will (like rebeading a tire), but it fills tires pretty fast for a DC compressor.

The Totalcontrol allows you to put in where you want it to stop filling. Otherwise, it just goes until you tell it to stop. While a gimmick, it is pretty slick.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Corbet, how much does it cost to fill a 10 gallon tank these days? I sold my Powertank years ago as in four years the cost to fill increased about 50%. That and getting three tires filled and running out of gas was a pisser. Great for popping a bead back on the wheel and superfast inflations are cool, though.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Corbet, how much does it cost to fill a 10 gallon tank these days? I sold my Powertank years ago as in four years the cost to fill increased about 50%. That and getting three tires filled and running out of gas was a pisser. Great for popping a bead back on the wheel and superfast inflations are cool, though.

I am paying between $20-30 for a 10LB tank refill depending on where I go in Denver.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I swap tanks at General Air. 20lbs tank is 30 something.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I am paying between $20-30 for a 10LB tank refill depending on where I go in Denver.
Yup, that’s about what I was thinking. When I first started using the Powertank fills were $10 at several different locations. Four years later it was up to $15 and leaving the tank for a day was becoming the norm. Still liked what the tank had going for it but the convenience of onboard air won me over and having more space in the interior of the Cruiser was a plus.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I have only seen the Thor's Lightning compressor in action once, but my friend who owns it loves it. He is an engineer/author and has done comprehensive air compressor comparisons in Overland Journal, so I trust his opinion even though I don't personally have experience with the brand.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
We used their deflater kits and new compressor this weekend in Moab. Very impressed! Was very comparable to my ARB dual kit.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Elias is the owner, supports Rising Sun, was a vendor at the Rally and based here in Colorado. Their shop is up off of I70 and Ward and if you call ahead, they can demo everything for you! He has a wrapped wrangler for the business but daily drives a 4th gen 4runner and has a tundra also. Good guy!

DougCruiser

Rising Sun Member
The main thing to consider with these dual piston 12V compressors sold by Morrflate, Napa, and Thor's lightning is that your flow limiter is the valve stem core. In order to get your money's worth, you'll want to buy or build a 4 tire hose. Using these compressors on a single tire shortens the duty cycle drastically. I've got the Morrflate and it's lightyears faster than the single piston pump from Ironman it replaced, especially with the 4 tire system. Theyre cheap, chinese pumps but it has served us well for the last year of use

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
The main thing to consider with these dual piston 12V compressors sold by Morrflate, Napa, and Thor's lightning is that your flow limiter is the valve stem core. In order to get your money's worth, you'll want to buy or build a 4 tire hose. Using these compressors on a single tire shortens the duty cycle drastically. I've got the Morrflate and it's lightyears faster than the single piston pump from Ironman it replaced, especially with the 4 tire system. Theyre cheap, chinese pumps but it has served us well for the last year of use
What about oversized wheel valves like “Monster Valves” from Powertank? I just don’t want to carry more stuff just to air up.

DougCruiser

Rising Sun Member
What about oversized wheel valves like “Monster Valves” from Powertank? I just don’t want to carry more stuff just to air up.

Tough to say for sure, maybe if theyre substantially bigger than the bore of a regular valve stem

that'swhatshesaid

Rising Sun Member
With the black Friday sale I'm considering picking up a compressor. I'm still using a Powertank which works great but the cost of refills sucks and my tank is due for a hydrostatic test again. So the ROI of a modern compressor is looking favorable. Who has a Thor's unit and do you like it? Anything you don't like? Thanks.
I decided to take the leap and ordered mine and I'll pick it up tomorrow. Seems to me it's worth giving them a try with the discount and support a local biz.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Finally had a chance to play with my Thor’s Lighting compressor. I ordered the Vault unit in the storage case.

Pros:
Contained in plastic hard case
Hose and power cord all store inside
Included a clip on air chuck with gauge
$319 MSRP

Cons:
Alligator clips cheaper than I’d like.
Takes some patience to get it all back in the box

I did one test fill on my 37x12.5r17 from 20-40psi that took 2m41s. My only personal experience is with my Powertank and small Crapsman 110v AC unit. It seemed to fill me up in a reasonable time. Never sounded stressed. I’m happy so far.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member