The Maze, Canyonlands, November 2011

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Good news from Western slope Toyota in Grand Junction...

With the new ECU board, she started right up!

A little worried about the carpet still, as they said it appears to be drying just fine..so they are not pulling it up.:(

They are also doing an oil/filter and transfer case/diff fluid change out, which is good news, alignement and checking all wheels for sand/rocks based on the squeaking sound..

I will be out of pocket a new battery and alignment, plus the hundred bucks for the deductable..

Marco, I can't remember what I tossed in your rig, tool box etc..Maybe I can coordinate with you on my return into town. Hoping to pick up my rig tomorrow afternoon.

Anyone headed to GJ tomorrow?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
the desert is magical.

Woodsman

Trail Ready
Great pics, James!! I know we're a wheeling club and all, but that hike was arguably the highlight of the whole trip for me, what an amazing place to be. You captured it well!

Thanks and I agree on the hike. :thumb: It is always memorable. I would like to take the hike down from the Nuts and Bolts (Maze overlook) next time and also check out the hikes behind the Dollhouse. :cheers:

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Woodsman

Trail Ready
A little worried about the carpet still, as they said it appears to be drying just fine..so they are not pulling it up.:(

It's great to hear that it was easily solved with the ECU.

I would be very wary of the carpet. The problem is that it is very difficult to get it all dried out faster than mold/mildew can start to grow. At minimum, I would lift it in a couple of places just to verify whether it is dry or not on the backside.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
It's a lot drier here in CO and UT than in other states, so that helps with the mold/wet carpet issue. But definitely put baking soda or whatever you need to as soon as you can to get that stuff dry and smelling nice. That 80 full of snow came out ok so hopefully the 4runner will too :thumb:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
It's a lot drier here in CO and UT than in other states, so that helps with the mold/wet carpet issue. But definitely put baking soda or whatever you need to as soon as you can to get that stuff dry and smelling nice. That 80 full of snow came out ok so hopefully the 4runner will too :thumb:

Sadly nice crisp clean Colorado snow is a lot different from the dark dank Dirty Devil.. that stuff was yucky. I'd still be tempted to pull the carpet.. take the opportunity to run more 12v to the back, hide antenna coax, wire up screens.. turn it into a mod project while you take that carpet to the car wash, then hang in the garage with a space heater.

SOOOO glad to hear she's running again. :thumb: Just get it home man.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
This thread needs more pictures..........

Awesome news Chris!

:beer:

Woodsman

Trail Ready
Last year there was a little mouse trying to steal stuff from us as we sat around the fire ring. At some point we think someone tracked where the little guy was living and built him a house. Someone coined this "Mouse on Fire" as a tribute to the House on Fire ruin.

117.jpg

On Saturday morning as we stood around waiting for the last vehicle to be loaded, I snapped these pics from Dollhouse #1. I did nothing to the colors in these two pics but you can see some weather rolling in.

119.jpg

120.jpg

Lining up for departure from the Dollhouse on Saturday morning.

113.jpg

A brief line up on the trail back towards the intersection. This is probably somewhere around Teapot Rock.

123.jpg

Woodsman

Trail Ready
The original plan was to spend Sat night at the Maze overlook but weather appeared to be rolling in and the winds were not kind for spending a night on the exposed overlook. We decided to avoid that cold and windy misery and head on towards the Dirty Devil River crossing so we could camp in a less exposed area within the canyon.

Meeting at the intersection to discuss the new plan.

129.jpg

Gotta love the Utah red dirt on a Sandstorm FJ.

134.jpg

Lined up on Sunset Pass (I think).

139.jpg

Stopped somewhere along Hatch Canyon

142.jpg

A cool old Hudson car which was converted to a trailer/RV and abandoned years ago.

143.jpg

147.jpg

151.jpg

Woodsman

Trail Ready
Views along Hatch Canyon as we got closer to the Dirty Devil River crossing.

164.jpg

169.jpg

The ol' "hold the camera backwards with one hand and snap a picture while driving with the other hand" shot.

176.jpg

Marveling at the super-squishy wet sand along the bank of the Dirty Devil. It obviously hadn't been crossed recently based on the sand banks on both sides.

178.jpg

Crossing pics. It really wasn't deep in the crossing area but there was a definite channel about 2/3 of the way across.

180.jpg

182.jpg

186.jpg

191.jpg

187.jpg

194.jpg

201.jpg

203.jpg

Woodsman

Trail Ready
Gathering at on the other side of the river after crossing.

206.jpg

With one vehicle not running we decided to try and get out of the canyon Saturday night. One of the guys (Romer) with a V8 powered 100 Series Land Cruiser towed the drowned rig through Poison Springs Canyon, up hwy 95 and into Green River.

There's alot of this type of driving through Poison Springs Canyon.

210.jpg

Before heading back to Colorado, a few of us decided to check out Crystal Geyser which is southeast of Green River. It did not go off while we were there but I have attached a video link.

215.jpg

216.jpg

217.jpg

Crystal Geyser - Healing, Wealth-Giving Water - YouTube

wesintl

RS Moderator
man James, you got some awesome shots. :eek: :smokin:

Woodsman

Trail Ready
man James, you got some awesome shots. :eek: :smokin:

Thank ya ! :eek: I'd like to have gotten more but there were some long expanses where we were hauling butt and farting around with pics was not on the agenda. I decided not to mess with the Rebel much on this trip so these are all from the Canon point and shoot. If I ever really learn how to use the DSLR's capabilities it will be a miracle.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Dang which canon? those pictures all look really good... Thanks for posting them up!!!

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
This thread needs more pictures..........

:beer:

You shoulda been there!

Nice work James. Love the pictures. Funny how all those clumps of red mud washed off driving home in the rain and snow - a bit disappointing in a way....