• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

The "Grill -n- Chill" Run

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Anyone else interested in hiking a slot canyon? Sounds like there a few options in the Swell. Not sure where we are going, but Moonshine Wash and Little Wild Horse Canyon look cool and would be fun to explore if we are going to be close to them.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Haven't been to Moonshine Wash but I have hiked Little Wild Horse Canyon, it is a cool slot canyon. It will take a while, and I am not sure if it is cleared out after the flash flood this spring.

salamortheseeker

Brand New
Haven’t logged into your site since before the cancellation of cruise Moab 😢. I’m a wasatch cruisers member and May have to find you all in the swell that weekend. Just saw this thread and it’s such a great idea. Only replying as I saw the part about the slot canyons. There are a ton of great ones down there but the easiest to get to for any group is little wild horse (and you can check out goblin valley while at it). The loop through little wild horse and out bell canyon will take some time, but you can also just head in little wild horse for an hour or so and then head back out the same way. I’ve done it that way several times taking people and you can have a great time but still leave time for wheeling and near there is temple mountain with great drives

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I LOVE SLOT CANYONS! I've done little wild horse / bell and Ding/Dang. Both are pretty much full-day loops. In-out can be shorter. Possibly we do behind the reef road and drop in one of teh 4 as an out and back for 1/2 day. There is another up on top closer to 70 I have been eyeing. Truthfully endless opportunities on the swell. Lets gauge interest. Many want to wheel and not hike. Some love to incorporate a hike.

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Will certainly defer to the group leader and desires of the group, but would love to do a little hiking to break up so many hours in the truck. Getting excited for this trip!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I'm down for some hiking! Marshé will probably stay with the truck as this smoke is making it hard for her to do anything outside.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Over the weekend I'll review and publish the updated attendee list and shortly after start a group conversation for those going. I'll also read up more on these canyons.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Is it wise to go forward with this event? Wildland fire resources are stretched pretty thin and you're 2-for-2 on picking areas where they occur!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Don't allow my comment to rush you Daniel...
I have no idea what to expect as I have never been to the swell. I'm trying to figure out what all I'll need. I have accommodations for water and 10 gal of petro. Curious if there will be oppertunities to top off water utilizing a filter system and I'm not sure if I need to buy a poo tent. Those are really my only concerns. If I need to get a tent for trail side 10-100s and campsite food recycling I would want to get one soon. If we can get away with cat holes I'll just bring a shovel. Any idea what the fire situation is out there? I can grab some wood from the two free spots I know of. Someone may have to take the wood weight from me though.
As of right now, it will just be Marshé and I. The kids and fur babies will be staying at home. That takes a lot of weight out of my truck! I will miss them of course, but it will be nice to get away with just the two of us to worry about.
Also, if you need a hand with the planning let me know, I'll help if I can.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Don't allow my comment to rush you Daniel...
I have no idea what to expect as I have never been to the swell. I'm trying to figure out ...

All great comments and I appreciate the "don't mean to rush you" It happens I just completed sending out an agreement to unwind a corporate transaction with 13 attachments (each one being an additional legal document) and with this beautiful fall air, I could use this distraction (thoug its shocking how distractible I am...40 minutes later. :cautious:.

I have no idea what to expect as I have never been to the swell.
  • Lovely as Moab, far less technical, not even 1/10th of 1% of the people. With a few exceptions, if we drive Devil's Racetrack and/or Fix-it pass, all pretty smooth to rough dirt roads. I will try to work on a few technical sections, but most is not.
I have accommodations for water and 10 gal of petrol.
  • Good
Curious if there will be opportunities to top off water utilizing a filter system
  • None you should count on. The river we may be by are heavily sedimented.
I'm not sure if I need to buy a poo tent.
  • Most likely wherever we camp (whether its one or several) there will be enough space to walk off into the distance for solitude. I would like that we all bring a system to carry out solid human waste. Most areas we will be in you are legally able to bury all solid human body waste (at least a hundred feet away from water sources). It is good practice to pack out used toilet paper (certainly if you use wet wipes) or when conditions permit, burn it in the hole and once fully extinguished, bury. So a shovel is legally adequate where we are going. **(if that has changed please someone cite me the BLM website) That said, having a poo shelter may be convenient. I have three and I will plan to bring one anyone can use and if you prefer your own, borrow and carry one of the other ones I have. You supply and take your own bucket and bags! Best place for used wag bags is your roof rack (or your fiend's pickup-up truck bed). With a group of our size, its just a better practice to pack it out. personally, I like my 5 -10 minute walk in the morning and it is usually easy to dig a 8-12 deep hole ine the typically sandy soils. There is a slight chance we'd camp not far from pit toilets but I don't want anyone to count on that because part of the enjoyment of "overland" style travel is not having to get to a particular destination - the journey is the destination.
  • If you need daytime. trailside use, yes you should probably carry a tent you can quickly deploy.

Read more at https://www.blm.gov/utso/grd/san-rafael-swell-rec-area
Interactive map: https://blm-egis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=6be0174d44f04f1c853197cadcfa89f0

Any idea what the fire situation is out there?
  • Order #SECLO2010, State of Utah DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
Fire Restriction Order Due to current and forecasted weather conditions coupled with the extremely dry vegetation conditions in southern Utah, the State Forester, in consultation with the county commission of each of the affected counties, has determined that measures must be taken to prevent the ignition of forest and rangeland fires. Therefore, pursuant to Utah State Law, Section 65A-8-212, the following acts are prohibited in the areas described below until rescinded by the Utah State Forester:​
Setting, building, maintaining, attending or using open fires of any kind, except within the facilities designated for them in improved campgrounds, picnic areas or home sites where running water is present. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, trailer or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area that is paved or free from dry vegetation. Discharging or using any fireworks, tracer ammunition or other pyrotechnic devices including exploding targets. Cutting, welding or grinding metal in areas of dry vegetation. Operating a motorcycle, chainsaw, ATV, or other small internal combustion engine without an approved and working spark arrestor.​
The following persons are exempted from the above prohibitions: Persons with a permit or waiver issued by the Division, specifically authorizing a specified act at a specific location. A waiver does not relieve the permittee of liability if a fire does occur. Any on-duty firefighter in the performance of an official duty.​

Area Description: All unincorporated private and all state lands within the following area: All of Carbon and Emery counties. This order does not affect private lands within incorporated towns or city limits.​

Any of the above acts is a violation of state law and is punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. These restrictions will be enforced by county law enforcement.​

Effective Date: 12:01 a.m., 23rd day of July, 2020​
Brett Ostler State Fire Management Officer Brian Cottam State Forester​
Also, if you need a hand with the planning let me know, I'll help if I can.
  • I know the area and routes. Keep the questions coming!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Just a FWIW but I most always bring a portable toilet anymore. The Moab and Monticello field offices require human waste to be removed for all dispersed camping, which is something river runners have had to do forever. The Swell is part of the Price field office so AFAIK it's not a hard-fast rule at this point yet, though.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I have a bucket specially designed for waste disposal (5 gal with some pool noodle on the rim!). We have always practiced packing out the paper out here and I have never been a fan of burying in the desert as it doesnt get enough water to degrade within a few days. Back east it would disappear within 3 days if you used the cheap stuff. We did an experiment in high school test decomp on different substances. The worms would be on it within hours! Any suggestions on a adequate structure that's quick to deploy and quick to stash?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I don't have a dedicated privy so no ideas to suggest nor plan for this trip. Yikes! I've only been solo on trips for well over a year now...

just reading along - won’t be going on this run but wanted to offer, I’ve got a clean waste setup we won’t need this weekend and a small pop up shelter, happy to lend it to the group if needed, Just let me know

http://www.cleanwaste.com/go-anywhere-portable-toilet

Last edited:

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
i have a 3 sided shelter (beach cabana) that I use and a toilet with individual waste bags, and RV toilet paper. I can bring enough bags for everyone. The cabana sets up in minutes. I was going to bring it for me anyways.