• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

The "Grill -n- Chill" Run

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
The "Grill -n- Chill" Run:welcome:

• All dates (except #0) are Friday (better yet, Thursday night) to Sunday
    • **COMPLETED** Grill -n- Chill Tour #0 Beta Preview: Friday June 12, depart Denver as a group around 5PM or meet anytime the next 16 hours at camp an hour NW of Ft Collins until we depart West 9AM Saturday. Goal: going west. Maybe we'll hit the North Sand Hills, if we make it over the back route in. Not sure how much snow there is. We'll camp somewhere and explore more Sunday.
    • **COMPLETED** Grill -n- Chill Tour #1: July 17-19 - The Flat Tops. We can't always avoid I-70 but if traffic cooperates, its not a bad drive to the trailhead. What awaits beyond the Deep Creek Overlook is worth it. Make sure you have your fishing license and maybe we grill fresh fish for dinner, or breakfast, or both.
    • Grill -n- Chill Tour #2: August 14-16 - Kelly Elk Green (Northern CO, portions rated difficult, be prepared for challenge) We'll combine Kelly Flats, Bald Mountain and Green Ridge Road into a premier multi-day event. I've only done a small portion of Green Ridge and it was spectacular. **Co-hosted/led by @DomOfTheDead who has run most of the route** :woot:
      • Friday AM Meet at Kelly Flats Trailhead to leave 10AM. Some will camp in area Thursday night. Details TBD.
    • Grill -n- Chill Tour #3: September 18-20 - San Rafael Swell - Finally cool enough to go back to the desert! Its a big place so this is a No Limits trip. We'll split into smaller groups as needed for trails. Many routes are stock vehicle friendly. Much extra fuel mandatory. I'll probably pack an extra 20 gallons.
      • Swell is 6 hours from Denver so you must plan to leave Thursday evening. We will probably camp just past Green River and not too far from I-70.
  • Limit 8 trucks (EDIT: Except the Swell we blew that limit! and lets have waitlists)
  • If trails are closed or close, we'll just pick another area.
General plan: Meet, drive cool 4x4 and dirt roads, explore, make cool camps :camping:, eat, sleep, :photo: repeat 3x. "Overland" style (but been doing this since before that fancy word and called it "camping" or "wheeling" :clap:

Specific Plan:
Thursday night at camp or convoy to camp OR Friday Morning meet at camp or convoy to camp.
Saturday and Sunday morning: We'll break camp by 9AM Saturday and Sunday and stop for coffee around 11. Then we'll drive more and stop for lunch around 1PM. By 4 - 6 PM we'll make camp and fire up the grills! Don't make Sunday plans. I will not guarantee you a time home and we do this as a group - see below)

The route: Forest roads and 4x4 trails, mountain passes, tight canyons, open vistas. Dry, mud, rock. CO, UT , Pavement to get to start, pavement from the end, but in the middle pavement will be minimized. Some/much of the route will be new to me, so we will be exploring. General area disclosed before trip but once on trail you are requested to shut down the 47 navigational computers and get lost in the moment (that's optional as we'll have no compliance police)

Extras:
  • Bring some extra fuel. 5 Gallons recommended (Minimum 10 gallons for Swell Trip) so we don't need civilization in the middle of the trip. :woot:: For some of these routes, civilization is not an option. (my 80 gets about 10MPG wheeling so I am mindful of fuel)
  • Bring toilet facilities. In many areas you can dig a cat hole, but we'll have enough people that a shelter and bucket may be better. In the San Rafael Swell you have to have a toilet facility and pack it out (preferably on your roof rack)
EDIT 6/22/20:
A couple take aways from recent rips to add here about the Grill-n-chill runs (I will add this to Post #1):
  1. Your commitment is a commitment. Its not a "hold my spot and I'll decide when the trip is closer." We all understand, I understand, things come up in life, and you also know that when you really want to do something, you find a way to make it happen. That's the expectation for these trips. I want you there. Other participants want you there. We all want to know each other is there and when we come together as a group for the weekend, we are a group. We count on each other. Support each other. Have fun together. Suffer together. So, sort out your schedules now. We'll meet at the appointed times and places and you can expect to be aimed back towards home by mid-afternoon Sunday. Plan your Monday's accordingly. You will get home Sunday night. We are going to squeeze all the juice out of our weekend!
  2. If you want to drop out, drop out now.
  3. Radios I have 14 GMRS (12 handheld, 2 Mobile) to share! For fun and safety, we all have to be on the same radios and in advance you must know your radio works. No exceptions. But I have plenty of loaners!
EDIT 7/30/20
  • Updated list attached.
  • If you want to come on a trip sign up. We'll start a wait-list / second group for the Swell Trip as able. Some people need to cancel
  • Liability waiver is required. Copy attached. If you have questions, ask me. Summary: If something happens I don't want to be the target of your insurance company
  • Information will be requested. Its not required but I like to know I can call if a person has not shown and provide information if a medical responder needs it. PRO TIP: Keep all this basic data in your wallet at all times.
Name:​
Forum Name:​
Phone:​
Email:​
Emergency contact:​
Vehicle (type, color, plates):​
HAM Call sign​
Medical conditions:​
Notes:​
8/5 List Updated

Attachments

• Liability waiver - Grill N Chill.pdf
    114.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Grill & Chill List 8.5.pdf
    87.9 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
Well this sounds fun! Put me down for some of this [TBD] you're offering!

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’m down like Charlie Brown. So long as the 80 is up and running properly 👍

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm in. :)

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Would these be stock friendly type of runs, or more built rigs only? Sounds like a ton of fun!

Pretty stock friendly. [Edit 6/23 note that the Kelly Flats trip is challenging. Your stock Toyota can do it but you must be prepared to do some excellent driving and not scared of a few scrapes, particularly down under!] Most all in my vision are doable stock. Decent A/T tires and a full sized spare are a good idea. Its pretty easy to puncture the sidewall on an aired-down highway tire. Usually the group has enough air compressors to air up anyone without one. Front and rear recovery points I also think should be present. All our stock Toyota 4x4's have the tie down points which will work decently. Everyone should have a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and radio. I have HAM, CB, and can tune FRS/GMRS. Its more fun when everyone has a good working radio. Usually we have a few extra handhelds to share.

A mild lift and front bumper offer a little extra capability for whatever we may run into, but for the most part any of our Toyotas in stock version are supremely capable. I enjoy having stock rigs on runs. It makes for more emphasis on driving skills.

Glad it sounds FUN

Last edited:

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
In like Flynn!

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
In please! I am super game for a good run.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I'm in.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
This sound suspiciously familiar...

You know if WY and UT are involved I'd like to be there.

ETA: But if my count is correct I'm #1 on deck.

DSC02674.jpg

Last edited:

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Man I'd love to do this run. Depends on dates and having an engine in the cruiser, and Im not confident enough about either to request a waitlist spot, but will keep an eye on it in case the planets align.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Would like to join but looks like it might be full. Let me know if a spot opens up please Daniel!

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
I'm in, if spots are free.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Wait list me Daniel
I’m down
We could think about the petroglyph and eclipse spot from couple years back me and John and mike went to...
whatever a backroad to Longmont at this point sounds good

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
Daniel, Sounds like loads of fun! We'd be interested in any Central-Southern Colorado "Grill -n- Chill" Runs that may materialize. Pretty busy on the house the next few weeks, but we'll be looking for a break soon thereafter. You may want to consider coming thru here or meeting up here on one. Everyone's welcome of course if they'd like to spend a night here as well.

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
Possibly in depending on dates