• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Switching from CB to FRS

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I bought a CB for the 21 event since I didn't have one in the 4Runner. We gave out hand held GMRS radios that same year. Was I bummed I spent the money on the CB? Yes, but it's not the end of the world. I still use the one in my 80 and 4Runner from time to time, and they are fun to use to talk smack w/ a friend while out on the trail.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Let's see...

• Sliders, check
  • Bumpers, check
  • Lockers, check
  • Winch, check
  • Storage drawers, check
  • Awning, check
  • RTT, check
  • Lift, check
  • Gears, check
  • Light bar, check
  • CB, nooooooooooooo! WAY too expensive and hassle to install!
:rolleyes:
This is going to sound snark, and it is understood if you take it that way.

This shouldn’t be controversial. This happen 2 years ago. The committee did our due diligence and switch to FRS while providing the event attendees 2 units and a discount code to buy one for you truck that could be used to have a really nice setup with a better speaker. We also talked about the fact most event attendees every year showed up without having tuned radios or not one at all. We tested these are we had great feedback from event attendees. We decided to move towards the future with FRS instead of making people who show up to our event buy equipment that is outdated. A nice CB radio in your truck is the same price for a much better FRS setup in your truck.

Jeff, you may not like to hear this, but I haven’t seen any compliments of anything we’ve done for RisingSun, or Cruise Moab, other people, past board members. For me I value what you’ve done for all of us in the years past, but the truth is I’m not going to tiptoe around, you seem to be very angry with every choice we’ve made as that you comment on here on the forum. This decision was made 2 years ago, we made the choice, and we are justifying this to you now because once again you think we made a poor choice. I actually spent money on a CB radio for cruise Moab asking exactly what Matt Gaskins said above. You are the only person that has made a huge complaint on the forum. We made this change and we did it to make Cruise Moab better. I just wish you would give us the benifit of doubt with all of the hard work we put in. And if anyone knows the hard work we put in, I would assume it would be you.

Please give us some grace and maybe think that we deserve the benefit of doubt with these choices. We are volunteers who do this for fun, and we seem to get a lot of negative feedback with how we do it.

Last edited:

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Heres a question for you guys... does frs/grms have a dedicated channel like CB's channel 19 or channel 9? If not that seems to be the only downside of them. I did enjoy 19 on road trips to find out road conditions etc from truckers ahead..but even then that didnt work all that great.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Heres a question for you guys... does frs/grms have a dedicated channel like CB's channel 19 or channel 9? If not that seems to be the only downside of them. I did enjoy 19 on road trips to find out road conditions etc from truckers ahead..but even then that didnt work all that great.
No.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
After buying 2 CB’s and trying multiple antennas I gave up on them and purchased the 40 watt Midland mobile. During the snow run a year ago I remember Andy telling me he could hear me all day long. At one point Scott and Matt and I took a new trail and we’re far from everyone else and could still hear me. I’m sold on these and still have my hand helds as well. When I first put in and was listening I was hearing a couple of guys from Tucson on repeaters. Loud and clear Conversations.