Suggestions for a Subaru Grade Trail?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
So my neighbor put a 3" lift on his Subaru (Outback I think?) and put 27" BFG ATs on it and was asking me to take him 4 wheeling. Most of the trails we do are WAY beyond that capability, and honestly I have no idea of his driving ability. The easiest trail I can think of that I am familiar with is Slaughterhouse, but from what Tim was telling me at the meeting last week after the BOWAGW run was that there were some interesting new parts to it. Do you have any suggestions with a reasonably close trailhead that a rig like that could handle?

TIA!

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Doing the full loop on Slaughterhouse might be tough, but going to the bottom and coming back out the same way is an option. When we ran it a couple weeks ago someone had a broken front axle at the bottom. Instead of towing it, I figured it was worth trying to drive out in RWD and made it back up with no issues. A decent driver in a lifted Subaru should be fine even if the very last section is a bit rocky.

teamextreme

Most of the trails above Central City, the trails on the south side of I70 between Idaho Springs and Dumont (just stay off of Spring Creek) would work. I haven't been on Bill Moore in years, but IIRC it was pretty easy (I took a stock Dakota up it). Geneva Creek off Guanella pass, Twin Cone, there's tons of trails that fit this bill. Unless you take mcgaskins advice above, there's no way I would take him on Slaughterhouse.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Georgia Pass from Jefferson to Breck or Boreas Pass would be a fun route… brakes will get a bit hot on the way down but the capability should be there.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Georgia Pass from Jefferson to Breck or Boreas Pass would be a fun route… brakes will get a bit hot on the way down but the capability should be there.

Great suggestions especially Boreas if they haven't really been off pavement. The flowers are amazing everywhere up there right now too.

Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Most of the trails above Central City, the trails on the south side of I70 between Idaho Springs and Dumont (just stay off of Spring Creek) would work. I haven't been on Bill Moore in years, but IIRC it was pretty easy (I took a stock Dakota up it). Geneva Creek off Guanella pass, Twin Cone, there's tons of trails that fit this bill. Unless you take mcgaskins advice above, there's no way I would take him on Slaughterhouse.
Thanks Murray! Yeah, no way Spring Creek. Over the past 20 years that trail has seriously deteriorated to where it is even sketchy with 33s and a locker. The stretch from the top of the rock garden to the meadow at the top has become even harder than the rock garden itself.

I lead Bill Moore every year and I don't know if he'd be able to make it up that stretch where all the whoop de dos are where you hang a hard left at the intersection for where you can split off to red Elephant hill. I believe that stretch is considerably more challenging than the whoop de dos coming up from the lower meadow on Slaughterhouse.

As far as Idaho Springs, Barbour Fork used to be pretty easy but I read somewhere where there is a section that crosses private property that no longer is allowed.

But it just occurred to me that there's a bunch of stuff between the Central City cemetery and Apex that should be doable. I remember my wife and I exploring up there in her RAV4 and some fairly easy stuff. Heck I bet Yankee Hill itself wouldn't be too bad with no snow.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
These, but not Red Elephant. There is a couple of spots where it will most likely high-center.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
These, but not Red Elephant. There is a couple of spots where it will most likely high-center.

Oh of course not REH, I wasn't suggesting that, just using that reference of the spot where you can either do the hard left up the Whoop de dos to BML or turn right to do REH. Basically where you emerge from the forest and start up the area where it is semi timberline.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Oh I should mention, if he doesn't have a hard point in his front where I can strap/winch him this is a non-starter LOL!
He might have a little knock-out thing in the front bumper, looks like a little rectangle. Then behind it is a threaded hole, and then buried in back near the spare will be this big eyelet. So you knock out the plastic thing, then screw in the eyelet, then strap to that. But better move is just stick to the easy stuff and avoid straps altogether..

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I'm familiar with that thing, all newer cars appear to have them. I believe it has to do with shipping. But I was thinking something that is an actual hard point. My wife's little Yaris actually has tow hooks on all 4 corners.