• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Spring Creek 10/8 - How Not To Climb Trees!

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
This was my 5th time up Spring Creek this year and I thought that it was going to be another non-eventful trip. Well, was I wrong.. It was the last obstacle in the Rock Garden and I decided to do something different. 1) I rarely engage my front locker and I did this time. 2) I decided to take the path closest to the tree.......mistake!
Here's the story....amazing I ended up with a small dent that I was able to fix when I got back home that is hardly noticeable now.

Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I usually take the line a little more to the left of the tree :)

Just a suggestion...next time use a tree saver instead of a chain. They're kinda rough on the bark.

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Yea, luckily there was no tension put on the chain....it was there as a pre-caution in case the truck decided to roll..............One more thing.....this same day down in "the shoot" a guy rolled his j**p..........

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Rzeppa said:
I usually take the line a little more to the left of the tree :)

Just a suggestion...next time use a tree saver instead of a chain. They're kinda rough on the bark.

Kinda looks like the chain was just used as a safety. Great advice though!

From my understanding, you just don't get the traction on trees, that you do on rocks. It was an interesting line, but where did you think it was taking you? :D

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
The idea was to get the tire as close to the tree as possible. What ended up happening as I gave it gas, was the tire decided to climb and by that time it had swung my rear end around in front of a rock, so now I couldn't back down. Two winch cables at opposite pulls and a Hi-Lift Jack is how we got it back down without alot of damage...........One of the questions you ask...
How did I ever end up here????

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Evrgrnmtnman said:
The idea was to get the tire as close to the tree as possible. What ended up happening as I gave it gas, was the tire decided to climb and by that time it had swung my rear end around in front of a rock, so now I couldn't back down. Two winch cables at opposite pulls and a Hi-Lift Jack is how we got it back down without alot of damage...........One of the questions you ask...
How did I ever end up here????

Looks like you earned a new nickname.....previously held by Danny Dilly....."Bobbed Barker!" :D

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Party-pooper here...

The picture of the tree, with truck climbing and bark missing, could and probably will be used as evidence that Spring Creek should be closed. Looks pretty sad.

OK, I will go rain gloom on something else now...

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Folks! My tire did not do that damage you see on the tree. That was there before my tire went up, from people using the tree to winch themselves out...Rubber, will not eat into the tree like you see there......Maybe we should be concerned about the rocks we scrape with our axles and undercarriages of our 4wheelers. I guess maybe I should stick to the trails leading from Evergreen to Hops Brewery that way I want accidently go up on a tree, and won't damage my pretty rig........... :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
Evrgrnmtnman said:
Maybe we should be concerned about the rocks we scrape with our axles and undercarriages of our 4wheelers.

Wait a minute. I was told that the steel I leave behind on the rocks makes them STRONGER. :D

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Bobzooki said:
Wait a minute. I was told that the steel I leave behind on the rocks makes them STRONGER. :D

Absolutely! Look in any health publication....Americans don't get enough iron! Rocks are American too, we would never discriminate just because of ones mineral makeup! :rolleyes:

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Next time I go trail riding, I'm taking a trailor so I can pickup the rocks that I scrape and take them back home and repair them with plaster and mortar. I will also make sure that I bring along some wood putty for any trees I might accidently scrape, and duct tape for the branches I break. Have I forgotten anything......oh yea.. some grass seed.......I guess no one cares about us running over any Sierra Club Members???

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Just be aware of how pictures are used against us. Lifted out of context, a reasonable scene looks a lot different than it really was. Happens a lot. Lots of people monitor 4x4 forums for just such pictures who, um, may not care about accuracy as much as utility for a cause.

We live in a glass house these days, fact of life. We have to deal with it and live circumspectly.

Again, sorry to rain on a sunny thread.

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Red_Chili said:
Just be aware of how pictures are used against us. Lifted out of context, a reasonable scene looks a lot different than it really was. Happens a lot. Lots of people monitor 4x4 forums for just such pictures who, um, may not care about accuracy as much as utility for a cause.

We live in a glass house these days, fact of life. We have to deal with it and live circumspectly.

Again, sorry to rain on a sunny thread.

That's unfortuneate that there is people out there that do that, but I can see your point.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Bobzooki said:

OK, I can't stay out of this anymore.... While we all poke fun at each other the fact is other than your peer group no one knows you. While it's true that many involved with enviornmental groups such as Seirra Club are extreme and one sided that certainly doesn't speak for all of them! Many non motorized folks think that 4 Wheelers, ATVers, Scooter riders, etc.... are redneck, full throttle, roostertailing idiots that have no regard for the land they use. Fact is we need each other and while both sides have idiots in the ranks that become a focus point of the entire group. If it wasn't for some Seirra Clubbers working with the USFS AND Bill (Rising Sun) we would never have been able to get the Jenny Creek trail preservation agreement. We have a valid veiw point just as other groups do and until we start sitting down and bringing those points to the table TOGETHER we will all keep losing!
To stay on topic the point Bill was making is that on any public forum be careful what you post. Not everybody that visits are friendly and while a picture could be entertaining and no big deal to most visitors it could be used as firepower for the enemy by simply changing the story associated with it!

NOTE: I enjoyed the picture and story very much! Bob, please don't take offense to my comeback to your post! I try to be very involved with keeping public land public and I used this tread as a soapbox to make a point.

Last edited: