• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Spooky night run

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Nakman,
That was an awesome run last night! Really a lot of fun! Lived up to "spooky" the whole night including the cop infested drive home. I got pulled over doing 48 in a 45! I didn't get a ticket as they were after intoxicated drivers. Seriously, I have to say that was one of the best Spooky night runs so far!!! A job well done sir! :)

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Yes Tim job well done. Ty has lots of stories of headless bodies roaming the trees and many assorted animals too spooky to tell about. All this was while I was shoveling dirt, Robin retold me all this. SO where did you dig up the headless bodies that were walking around the woods?
Any how had lots of fun with the snow and Ice and near misses with the trees and the truck. Uncle Ben does not know the power of His blowen 80 yet, almost tipped over chris's 4/runner when he tried to pull him out of the drift. All the food was good, fire and drinks. I had no problems on 93 going across at the time I did, but did see several cars pulled over in various places. thanks again. robbie

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Was a fine run indeed, I think we had 10 trucks? Me & friend Brent in my 80, MaddMatt & family & his 62, Shawn Cardinal in his 60, Matt Miller & his dad in his 40, Matt's freind CJMatt in his CJ, Chris & SO in his freshly painted white Runner, Robbie & family in his 80, Uncle Ben in his 80, Treeroot & friend Ian in his 40, hmm ok maybe 9, did I miss somone? But it's always nice to live up to the spooky theme.. the run was way spookier at night with the ice & snow, and the next group will surely appreciate all the trail grooming we did just past that last switchback! Only body damage went to Shawn Cardinal, who slid backwards in to that stupid Chevy truck left for dead.. bummer man maybe that new Profit bumper will cover most of that up? Weather was awesome, company was even better. Thanks again everyone!

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
This thread is useless without pics??

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Sorry, you had to be there, it was just TOO sweet for pics! :D

Thanks again Tim and everybody! It was a great run and was good that all the stucks were nothing that a little strapping and shoveling couldn't fix! :cool:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
was planning on going, but got too caught up out in the garage...didn't notice the time until almost 5. positive side, i'm just about ready to assemble the new axle for the piggie and the transfer case is built.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Shark Bait said:
This thread is useless without pics??

Too spooky for pics. There is a video but if you watch it you'll be dead in 10 days.... :eek:

Hey all...Leona and I had a blast last night. Great food, great crew, and just enough wheeling challenge to make it fun for for those of us who are slightly traction challenged. :D Think its time to load up those seasonal ballasts. Thanks to Robbie and Kevin for volunteering sand detail through the slick spots AND esp. for pulling my overzealous carnage seeking stubborn arse outta that there snow driftee. Uncle Ben's new Uber-Charger nearly rolled the runner during the sideways pull extraction... (Pssst, dont tell Leona, but I think it was secretly kind of fun in some twisted adrenaline-junkie kind of way) Sure was nice to seem some powder embedded under the truck back at home base. Thanks for putting together a great trip Tim!

Maddmatt

Trail Ready
We had a great time as well. Gotta love a party in the snow with about 6 or 7 Golden Retardeds. Mine slept like a log last night, must have been some great woods running while the people were messing around with the fire.

Interesting seeing Hwy. 93 completely shut down for the biggest DUI sting I'd ever seen. No problem getting through since my kids cold feet pre-empted any beer drinking for me. Realized this morning that I got lucky though, I put my cup of homebrew (sampled only, still over 1/4 full) upright in the back of the 62 while I was loading up the kids. Found it this morning, not even spilled. Could have been a long night had that spilled and kindly officer Dan noticed the aroma.

All's well that ends well, even if I did kill the gas pump in Downieville. I'll blame it on the guy behind me, he was making me nervous. :D

Here's a couple pics, one of the spooky night run spooky fire. I think I see some of the headless people! The second is of my youngest, happy to be back in the truck and out of the snow, but still proudly in costume.

Thanks again Tim.
-Matt

Attachments

• 100_2602.JPG
    100_2602.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 521
  • 100_2603.JPG
    100_2603.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 841

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Sorry about the gas pump Matt...I was just messing with you. :eek:

Give me a bit, I'll have some pics of the run up....

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
No action shots, sorry. I was too busy sliding backwards uncontrollably into the trees :D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 327
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 350

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
thread hijack....if you need it Shawn, I'll save this panel for you. This is off an '83 FJ60. Looks like maybe the bumper cap and the indent may be longer though.

Attachments

• IMG_4006.jpg
    IMG_4006.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 768

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Looks like you guys had a fun time.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
None of my pics really came out.. too dark, too fuzzy.. we were taking them with the video camera so what can you expect. I do have some video cool footage shot from inside the truck while on the run, just cruising through the snowy woods stuff, nothing crazy. I don't have the means to upload it though. But like most runs, when it's time to dig or strap or something I'm always outside with gloves on, camera always ends up being an after thought. But I'll bring the camera to the next meeting if anyone wants to see some snow.

edit: make that the premeeting. ;)

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Nice trip! That picture of the group shot with the snow is sweet. My pictures night usually come out pretty bad also.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
For us unlocked folk (well I guess I'll just talk about myself, don't know what was happening down below me), the hard-packed snow and the steep hills and switchbacks made things a little interesting. Oh and the 4/32s tread depth on my tires didn't help either :eek: . Tire chains would have helped... CJ7 Matt used quite a bit of momentum on that first hill where the white truck was, it was pretty cool him barrelling past me snow flying and engine roaring...

Got used to sliding backwards on ice I guess. My dad and I ended up doing just that about 8 times for about 100 feet each time above the second switchback (and created an ice rink for the rest of you ;) trying to get up to that little flat spot, and then once I got above the whoops I just had to go throttle down, luckily grabbed second when I had the chance, and barely tractored up to the road after flying back and forth on the trail (no power steering, all fours spinning, ruts in the trail, basically getting knocked around) :D . What a great run. Lots of just gun it and go!

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Next time have your dad drive the turbo 80, just think how fun you two would have Matt. later robbie

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
lessons learned...

Well...what a run!! As hard as it is to look at the damage to my previously perrrrfect FJ60. It could have been alot worse, I think I'm actually lucky the Chevy stopped me before I carreened backwards into the woods.

Lesson #1: Pay closer attention to where the guys in front of you stop. I shouldn't have stopped on the hill.

Lesson #2: If you do stop on an icy, snowy hill - throw a strap on the guy in front of you who's on flat ground.

Lesson #3: it's just metal and plastic.

Lesson #4: Maybe I could use this as justification to buy a winch? (I wish)

TreeRoot: THANKS!! I think want a peice from that 60 of yours. I'm going to have someone look at it to fix'er up a bit and let you know what is needed. It punched in the quarter pretty good and I can't open the lower tailgate the way it's bent.

WHAT A MEMORABLE RUN! and Thanks for your support in this trying time :rolleyes:

-Shawn

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Shawn have you tried to bend your quarter panel out any? Was thinking that you could use a bottle jack between the frame & body to press a bar outwards, just to move it enough to open the tail gate. Drive it over tonight if you want to try that.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Shawn,
I totally sympathize with you about your damage! That Chev tried to suck me in too! When my rear started sliding right for it I hit the skinny peddle and my rear just barely missed the Chity.....whew! Guess I need to go back up and get the license plate # and see if I can help the owner get it out or push it on downhill! It's in a bad spot! Good luck on the repair!

CardinalFJ60 said:
Well...what a run!! As hard as it is to look at the damage to my previously perrrrfect FJ60. It could have been alot worse, I think I'm actually lucky the Chevy stopped me before I carreened backwards into the woods.

Lesson #1: Pay closer attention to where the guys in front of you stop. I shouldn't have stopped on the hill.

Lesson #2: If you do stop on an icy, snowy hill - throw a strap on the guy in front of you who's on flat ground.

Lesson #3: it's just metal and plastic.

Lesson #4: Maybe I could use this as justification to buy a winch? (I wish)

TreeRoot: THANKS!! I think want a peice from that 60 of yours. I'm going to have someone look at it to fix'er up a bit and let you know what is needed. It punched in the quarter pretty good and I can't open the lower tailgate the way it's bent.

WHAT A MEMORABLE RUN! and Thanks for your support in this trying time :rolleyes:

-Shawn